Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2014, 10:47 PM

6 posts, read 15,600 times

Advertisements

Ok so I'm new to the whole unemployment thing and have a few questions. I worked for 11 years and was let go in February. I filed for unemployment, was approved and have been unable to find a job until now. I have about a month and two weeks or so left on my claim and recently took on a store manager position making about the same amount I made at my previous job. The issue is, the position is only from August until November. My question is..Once this is over, am I able to refile on my old claim? Also...after that claim is finished which I'm thinking will most likely be around mid December am I able to file a new claim based on the new job or do I have to wait until February for the base year to end? If that's the case and I don't have a job by then..how would I claim...just that I was let go from the new job or what? Sorry for all the questions..this just confuses me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 10:52 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,089,688 times
I think your math is off. Feb to now is about 6 months, so I think that your claim is already just about used up, and come November there won't be anything left for you to collect when you "reopen" the claim. However, come next February, there's a good chance that the earnings from Aug to Nov plus what you didn't use from prior to February of this year will be enough to make for a new claim. You don't do weekly claiming if that's what you mean, you apply again just like you did this past February, and start anew.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:20 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,497,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by may2007 View Post
let go in February. I filed for unemployment, was approved and have been unable to find a job until now. I have about a month and two weeks or so left on my claim

recently took on a store manager position making about the same amount I made at my previous job. The issue is, the position is only from August until November. My question is..

Once this is over, am I able to refile on my old claim?
You can reopen your old claim and collect what's left. If you began collecting beginning of March, your benefits would be exhausted the end of August, about 3 weeks from now - unless you didn't claim certain weeks. So, you may not have 8 weeks benefits left, as Chyvan said. Check your balance against your weekly benefit amount (WBA).

Quote:
Also...after that claim is finished which I'm thinking will most likely be around mid December am I able to file a new claim based on the new job or do I have to wait until February for the base year to end?
You have to wait until February.

Quote:
If that's the case and I don't have a job by then..how would I claim...just that I was let go from the new job or what?
You contact NJ the week the old claim expires and apply for a whole new claim. Because you have an expiring claim in February, the new claim is called a requalifying claim. Per NJ:
Quote:
REQUALIFYING REQUIREMENT

You must earn six (6) times the previous claim’s weekly benefit rate and work at least four (4) weeks in covered employment to be eligible for benefits in a successive benefit year.

http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/for...s/ui/PR-94.pdf
Should be a pretty good claim, since your unused earnings from previous job (LAG) will encompass five months' wages. Earnings from the temp job will provide eligibility to use earnings from the earlier claim.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:23 PM

I still have 1900 in my existing claim(I started it at the end of February if that makes more sense)I just started working fulltime again this last week, so I won't be exhausting the current claim. The position that I'm taking however is only until the first or second week in November. The amount I'm going to be making exceeds what I would be getting on unemployment per week so I should still have that after this job and be able to reopen the existing claim and finish it out right? Or do I completely lose that 1900 and just hope and pray I find a new job before February?

Old 08-08-2014, 11:25 PM

Thank you ariande22

Old 08-09-2014, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Or do I completely lose that 1900
No - you do not lose the $1,900. When this job is finished, call NJ to reopen the claim. You can continue to collect until the claim is exhausted, or the end of your benefit year, whichever occurs first.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:08 PM

Default Nj unemployment reopen file question

Ok, I asked a question about a week or two ago but have a new dilemma. Basically I lost my job after 11 years and have been on unemployment since the end of february...I was offered a job 2 weeks ago that would last 3 months, I took it because obviously it was in line with what I was making at my previous job and I didn't want to deny a job...at the time I had questions about after the temp job would I be able to reopen my claim since I still have 1900 left in my file, and then would I be able to file for unemployment again after the calendar year ended based upon this job if I wasn't able to find a new job in the meantime.. I received my answers. Now I'm facing a new question....after two weeks at this job I was pulled aside today and told I was being let go because I wasn't fast enough at doing a task I was given. Basically, a fellow worker who is close with the district manager told her it took me a lot longer in doing so than it actually did and since they are friends she believed her over me. My question is...will I still be able to reopen my previous claim for the 1900 even though I was terminated from this job now...I don't see why not since it's two different things but I just want some input since I don't know much about this stuff. Also, since I did only work there for 2 weeks would I still be able to refile after calendar year ends based upon this job or no?

Old 08-16-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
after two weeks at this job I was pulled aside today and told I was being let go because I wasn't fast enough at doing a task I was given. Basically, a fellow worker who is close with the district manager told her it took me a lot longer in doing so than it actually did and since they are friends she believed her over me. My question is...will I still be able to reopen my previous claim for the 1900 even though I was terminated from this job now...
Yes. Call NJ to do that. Before NJ resumes payments, it will inquire of your employer on the circumstances of the separation and then it will interview you. This process will take a few weeks. You state you always did the best job you could. Don't get into other employee (untruthful) complaints. They are not relevant. Only thing that is relevant is your employer let you go due to (in their view) inability to do the job.

Quote:
Also, since I did only work there for 2 weeks would I still be able to refile after calendar year ends based upon this job or no?
You can always file. Whether NJ will grant a new claim depends upon IF your new earnings are sufficient and you've worked four weeks, as stated upthread. To repeat, per NJ:
Quote:
REQUALIFYING REQUIREMENT

If you received benefits on an unemployment insurance claim, you
must have worked since the beginning of that claim to qualify for
another unemployment insurance claim after the first claim’s benefit
year ends.

You must earn six (6) times the previous claim’s weekly benefit rate
and work at least four (4) weeks in covered employment to be eligible
for benefits in a successive benefit year.

http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/for...s/ui/PR-94.pdf

Old 08-16-2014, 10:14 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,089,688 times
You are only denied benefits when you are discharged for MISCONDUCT. Your employer would have to prove that you DELIBRATELY went slow. That's a tall order. Just reopen your claim, but budget accordingly. The state will investigate. You in all probablity will NOT have your money as quickly as you were getting it in the past. A new job is a new separation issue. It could take as long to have your benefits restored as it took to get them in the first place. Also, if a temp agency is involved there can be other things you must do or it's treated as a quit.

Unless you know the rules with temp agencies stone cold, play it safe. Be sure that you let the temp agency know the job is over, that you are available for a new assignment, and that you can PROVE that you let the temp agency know. You don't want to be denied benefits because you can't prove that you really contacted the temp agency, and there are temp agencies that have no qualms about saying, "this is the first we're hearing of it."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment