Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2014, 05:50 PM

4 posts, read 8,546 times

Advertisements

Hello,

please forgive me if this has been addressed here recently but I was unable to find it in any thread. I was just told my company is closing down and I no longer have a job. I was only there for a brief period, May27, 2014 to September 17, 2014. I realize I have an option to file for unemployment this month to reflect my work history as of this April 2013 through March 2014 which will do me no good as I was unemployed during that time. My other option is to wait a few days and apply in October which will reflect my work history from July 2013 to June of 2014. In this scenario, I was only employed for approximately a month. Unless I am mistaken, and I would love for someone to tell me I am......I can't use the Alternate Base period which would include my full work history with this company which was from May 27, 2014 to September 17, 2014. I earned more than $1,300 so I assume they will not consider the Alternate period...correct? My real question is this.......given the only work period that will be considered is from May 27th - June 30th....will they only consider monies actually PAID through June 30th or will they include monies paid past June both FOR June. You see, I received a paycheck on July 3rd for June 25th-July 1st for money earned during the Base Period...will they consider that money or will they not consider it since I collected it in July? In my case...it makes a huge difference as it doubles my earnings for that period. Thank you for any help in this matter!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 06:07 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,075,853 times
You didn't say your state, so I don't want to talk base period vs alternate base period because the state makes a huge difference.

However, you doing the analysis tickles my heart. I love when people do this stuff, but in case you didn't know there is the issue of backdating claims in most states so be sure if you go the Oct route that you wait until Oct 5 to apply

As to the pay, it is when you RECEIVE the money. You could work 6 months without a check, and get paid for all the work on July 1, and that is the quarter the money shows up in - Jul - Sep.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:40 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachunian View Post
I earned more than $1,300 so I assume they will not consider the Alternate period...correct?

You see, I received a paycheck on July 3rd for June 25th-July 1st for money earned during the Base Period...will they consider that money or will they not consider it since I collected it in July? In my case...it makes a huge difference as it doubles my earnings for that period.
Because you mention $1,300, I assume you are in California.

You are correct, alternate base period can only be used if you haven't earned enough to qualify using the standard base period.

Applying October 5, will include earnings through June 30, 2014. If check is dated 7/1 or later, no, that money won't be included in quarter ending 6/30/2014. However, call CA and ask what they show for earnings for you for quarter ending 6/30/2014, just to be sure. Otherwise, the only way to get that final check included is to wait until January 4, 2015 to apply.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:12 PM

I'm sorry, yes..I'm in California. Is there anything I can do about my claim that will help me? At this point I will only get $142.00 per week and I'm panicking. I have a mortgage and 2 kids to feed. It took me quite some time to find the job I did have. That jump to July 3rd is a huge difference in my pay. It would bump me up to about $277.00 a week. Any advise? And heaven forbid I were to need to reapply (I mean, I was out of work for a year before this job)...how many extensions are they allowing and do the extensions reestablish the base period? I appreciate you all for answering me!

Old 09-18-2014, 09:31 PM

161 posts, read 492,796 times
sadly no extensions at all anymore

Old 09-18-2014, 10:18 PM

Ugh, can I re-apply? Is it possible to open a new claim once the first one ends? I feel like i can loose my home because i was paid three days later than what would have fallen into a grid. This is so frustrating. What about waiting till January to apply....that would place all my work within the base period. Is that allowed?

Old 09-19-2014, 12:01 AM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Yes, it's allowed. There is no rule which says you must apply right away.

We had a CA poster about a year ago who had one really high quarter of wages remaining - he earned over $100k/year. He applied for benefits well over a year after he lost his job and one week before all his earnings would have aged out of the base period. He got $450/wk for 26 weeks just on the basis of that remaining quarter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment