Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 02:02 PM

254 posts, read 597,513 times

Advertisements

I got a call from an HR rep who wanted to do the phone interview on 2/15/16 just yesterday. I tried to reschedule on UI Online and it said there were no other available times. WTF? I then realized that the customer service reps are only available until noon PST. Why is that? Years ago I had to claim unemployment and their reps were available until around 4:30? Are they cutting hours due to the economy or because they think they have all the info available online and you can process whatever online? I was able to get another day for the job phone interview. I will speak with the EDD interviewer and let her know that there were no other times available and that EDD should be more flexible! It was a JOB PHONEINTERVIEW! It was with HR not with a recruiter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 02:30 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,069,269 times
What's the phone interview for? Were you fired? If so, you don't have to take the phone interview call, and probably shouldn't because too many claimants say things that hurt themselves. If you get denied, it's just better to deal with it on appeal. You can't control what your employer says about you, but the best thing to say about yourself is nothing, rather than trying to justify why you got fired and how it's not your fault.

Old 02-23-2016, 05:36 PM

I have read that if I don't take the call, I can be denied my unemployment claim.Why go through a drawn out appeal? The employer I worked for said they would not contest it when I claimed unemployment. I will tell the interviewer I was let go, but not for misconduct or a crime, my services were just no longer needed. They can contact my employer. I asked them what they will tell the UI people and potential employers. They said they just tell them the dates I was hired and the last date worked. They have an automated system where the verifier calls a number or goes to a website, puts in the company code I provided and will see online the dates of employment. I checked out myself and it doesn't say anything about being let go.
Has anyone been let got for other reasons than misconduct or a crime that did do the interview and was awarded the unemployment claim?
And what is up with not being flexible to reschedule?

Old 02-23-2016, 07:16 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,980,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennStar View Post
I got a call from an HR rep who wanted to do the phone interview on 2/15/16 just yesterday. I tried to reschedule on UI Online and it said there were no other available times. WTF? I then realized that the customer service reps are only available until noon PST. Why is that? Years ago I had to claim unemployment and their reps were available until around 4:30? Are they cutting hours due to the economy or because they think they have all the info available online and you can process whatever online? I was able to get another day for the job phone interview. I will speak with the EDD interviewer and let her know that there were no other times available and that EDD should be more flexible! It was a JOB PHONEINTERVIEW! It was with HR not with a recruiter.
Clarification Please: Are you talking about a company human resource rep interviewing you for an employment opportunity (job) or are you talking about Unemployment's staff interview you to determine eligibility for benefits? I'm not sure we are understanding what you are talking about as your jumping between two completely separate items but making it sound as one.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:48 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,466,951 times
Quote:
I tried to reschedule on UI Online and it said there were no other available times. WTF? I then realized that the customer service reps are only available until noon PST. Why is that?
EDD cut its phone hours to noon years ago - three at least. Although they have been calling people on Saturdays, odd as that sounds. No, they don't care if you want to reschedule your unemployment benefit interview because you have a job interview.

Quote:
Has anyone been let got for other reasons than misconduct or a crime that did do the interview and was awarded the unemployment claim?
Many have. If your employer doesn't contest, the claim should go through on the basis of best available information.

Quote:
You can reschdule - they just don't make it easy. You need to talk with a phone rep who, irrc, relays the message, and then you are notified via mail of a new date/time.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:01 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,069,269 times
Quote:
I have read that if I don't take the call, I can be denied my unemployment claim.Why go through a drawn out appeal?
You can be denied even if you take the call because of what comes out of our own mouth. The only way to be denied if you don't take the call is if your employer was lying about this
Quote:
The employer I worked for said they would not contest it when I claimed unemployment.
If they are lying, there is nothing the phone interview will prevent. For a discharged claimant, the phone interview is more often than not the biggest waste of time.

Quote:
We had two recent threads where the claimants had stories that just sounded bad. Both skipped the phone interviews and got benefits. Had they told those stories, I wouldn't have held out hope for an easy win. They got benefits because the employers did NOT contest the claim.

Quote:
In the mind of a suspicious UI worker, trying to reschedule just raises an able and available issue. Go interview for job and forget about the call from EDD. It's not necessary.

Last edited by Chyvan; 02-23-2016 at 08:10 PM..

Old 03-01-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Clarification Please: Are you talking about a company human resource rep interviewing you for an employment opportunity (job) or are you talking about Unemployment's staff interview you to determine eligibility for benefits? I'm not sure we are understanding what you are talking about as your jumping between two completely separate items but making it sound as one.
This is a phone interview from EDD.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:14 PM

I had the phone interview and everything went fine. He told me I was eligible for benefits and would not need to contact my employer for verification.
@Rabrrita, the post topic should be clarification. The reason I wanted to reschedule my EDD phone interview, if you read my original posting, was because I was already had a job phone interview scheduled.
@Chyvan, I had my EDD phone interview and was able to have the job phone interview. I discussed the matter of what happens if I don't take the EDD phone interview. He said I could be denied benefits, and have verification of employment done with my last employer, and it would be better to take the call. I rehearsed what was going to say, kept it short and he said I was eligible for benefits, and didn't need to verify my employment with my last employer, and I already got my first weeks' claim paid.
I also talked about the rescheduling of the EDD phone interviews, and he said has nothing to do with EDD seeing this as a negative thing, but a scheduling matter that works for you. He said that the timing was also a thing. If you try rescheduling a day before and there is one or two days left in the week, it may not work because it has to be done within that week. He said you can try calling to reschedule if the UI Online site doesn't give availablity. But be aware that the reps are only there until noon.
@Ariadne22: Of course they want you to get a job, so take the job interview, but contact them to reschedule by phone if UI Online isn't giving you any availability Also send documentation by email that you can do through the UI Online site. I did that too.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:20 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,783,142 times
Quote:
I had the phone interview and everything went fine. He told me I was eligible for benefits and would not need to contact my employer for verification.

@Chyvan, I had my EDD phone interview and was able to have the job phone interview. I discussed the matter of what happens if I don't take the EDD phone interview. He said I could be denied benefits, and have verification of employment done with my last employer, and it would be better to take the call.
Not knocking you, but from what I have read about Chyvans dealing with the UI people is THEY LIE (He said "Could" not "You will") and will say whatever they please and do such simply as it would take gross violations to get them fired.

Don't matter the state they will simply deny just to be able to do it....They don't get paid to give money away.

BTW Chyvan has been around the block with UI people and I'd bank on her words before paying a penny for anyone from UI's opinion.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:37 PM

Well I am just giving you my experience. You mentioned that "they lie" as you are referring to the past employers lying to me that they will not contest me receiving unemployment? While this could have been the case for others, I am lucky I didn't have to go through that. Perhaps Chyvan did. They don't have to give unemployment if they see that the company HR people tell them something to the effect you were fired. The interviewer told me that if you were fired for any misconduct or a crime, harming their business, that will not qualify for unemployment. I have also been around the block and have gone through the EDD process before. But the rescheduling thing was rather new to me, as I never had to reschedule before, and it opened up for more information being given. I appreciate all the opinions given.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment