Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 07:55 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,095,734 times

Advertisements

My rule is: you claim every Sunday. I think you should have filed a weekly claim on 1/27, but it's still not too late. I don't like every two week filing because people forget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 08:56 AM

3,259 posts, read 2,771,723 times
This is what NJ UI website says.. Maybe because it's the first time to claim?? And then afterwards do it every Sunday online.

Your claim is dated the Sunday of the week in which you filed your initial claim. The first time you claim benefits will be on a Wednesday, 17 days after your date of claim.

It is your responsibility to claim your benefits as instructed and to remain current with your requests for benefit payment.

CLAIMING BENEFITS

To receive your unemployment insurance benefits, you must claim benefits for each week which you wish to receive benefits. You may claim benefits online or by phone. You will claim benefits either every week or every two (2) weeks, depending on the method which you use. You can only claim benefits for the week(s) prior to the week in which you are claiming benefits. Unemployment Insurance weeks begin on a Sunday and end at midnight on Saturday.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:04 AM

Just because it says that doesn't mean that you don't try ahead of time.

When it comes to "It is your responsibility to claim your benefits as instructed and to remain current with your requests for benefit payment," I assure that if you wait for 17 days and it's a problem, NJ DOL will point you to the booklet that says, you can claim benefits on Sunday after the UI week ends on Saturday.

NEVER listen to a UI worker. Always do what you know to be true.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:27 AM

I just didn't want to try it and have the system throw an error code because it wasn't the date they had in their system for me to claim for the first time and then lock me out .. and then say you have to call to speak to someone...and then have to spend hours trying to get through to phone rep.

Always trying to hedge my bets with NJ DOL. LOL

Old 01-29-2019, 09:59 AM

It doesn't lock you out for trying. It either won't let you, or it will go through, but ALWAYS file the (bi)weekly claim on Sundays when possible.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:39 AM

Took your advice and tried claiming for week ending 1/26/19 cause I saw that week was payable on my online account. It certified the info like normal but said claim is not payable at this time. Online account shows weekly benefit amount of $300 and total claim amount of $7800. Nothing shows under scheduled phone interviews or anything else they're looking for after I sent in the fact finding online info they wanted.

I hope I didn't screw it up by trying early instead of waiting for the 17th day to claim for first two weeks. Moment of weakness I said what the heck let me try it.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraprsmith View Post
claim is not payable at this time.
This means a decision on the separation hasn't been made yet. It's not because you filed like you were supposed to on Sunday rather than waiting for 17 days like they want you to for no good reason.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:30 PM

Ok. I wasn't sure. I was hopeful earlier in the week when I saw weekly amount and total benefit claim amount updated online. Now that I think about it confirmation after I sent in online fact finding information said can take up to 14 days to be decided. Here I was thinking I was good to go when I saw the update. Only issue I thought was in play was that they were looking for reason for me quitting job two employers back. Which if it wasn't counted I still would have enough earnings and weeks worked to qualify from last employer and employer before. I guess I will wait and see.

Old 02-03-2019, 05:41 PM

So I claimed yesterday for week ending 2/2/19 figured it showed up in online account as next week payable was 2/2/19. Still showing claim not payable at this time. I did receive the other day the blue form in the mail that tells me when to claim (which said 17 days after claim date) so Wednesday 2/6/19. But it did let me claim today and last Sunday and give me confirmation #s. I guess I take that to mean it didn't screw up claiming before 2/6/19?

I also got in the mail a Bank of America debit card when I clearly indicated direct deposit and provided my bank information. I have my claim information printed out and it clearly shows direct deposit selected and bank info listed. Has anyone else encountered this? Because I definitely don't want it deposited on BOA card. Thought maybe NJ UI might screw up sometimes and mail these out automatically. I thought I remembered quite a few years ago having them do the same thing but ended up going thru direct deposit. But I can't remember because it was such a long time ago. And my claim done in 2017 I never had a BOA card mailed so IDK what's going on with this card coming.

If my claim becomes payable will that automatically be put thru or will I need to call to resolve it. I have not received anything further in the mail after filling in the questionnaire fact finding information link regarding prior employers.

Was thinking if "official" first date to claim was 2/6/19 maybe even if nothing was wrong with non-monetary that nothing would be payable anyhow or be released until after 2/6/19. Is there a usual amount of time NJ takes to process payment if there are no problems with the claim?

Old 02-03-2019, 06:53 PM

"meant I claimed today for week ending yesterday 2/2/19" thinking faster than typing LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment