Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 10:42 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,689,486 times

Advertisements

Former North Carolina postal carrier Cathy Wrench Cashwell pleaded guilty to fraud in federal court Monday, after evidence surfaced of her appearance on the TV game show "The Price is Right" while receiving worker's compensation.

Cashwell claimed she couldn't lift mail trays into a truck due to a 2004 on-the-job shoulder injury. But according to an indictment filed in September last year, Cashwell appeared on 'The Price is Right' in 2009 and got to spin the big wheel.

Read more: 'Price is Right' exposes fraud when claimant spins the big wheel - UPI.com

Old 06-05-2013, 07:58 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,720,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Former North Carolina postal carrier Cathy Wrench Cashwell pleaded guilty to fraud in federal court Monday, after evidence surfaced of her appearance on the TV game show "The Price is Right" while receiving worker's compensation.

Cashwell claimed she couldn't lift mail trays into a truck due to a 2004 on-the-job shoulder injury. But according to an indictment filed in September last year, Cashwell appeared on 'The Price is Right' in 2009 and got to spin the big wheel.

Read more: 'Price is Right' exposes fraud when claimant spins the big wheel - UPI.com
Good. This p*sses me off to no end when scammers get away with this crap. I have a relative that fought for two years to get disability. She finally was granted it only at the point where she was near death and could no longer even get out of bed.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:12 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,783,030 times
Although note that there is a lot more evidence than just her spinning the wheel. Given enough adrenaline, people can temporarily overcome a lot of pain. Police officers and firefighters get accused of disability fraud all the time. "You were weightlifting! How can you say you are too injured to work?" But people don't understand that repetitive use over 10 hours is very different from a 60 minute light workout; especially when a joint or muscle failure in the former has a good chance of killing you or someone else.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:19 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,699,945 times
this is a sore spot for me because my husband is on workmans comp and they are doing everything they can to deny his claim. it's absurd. like, they had a PI follow us and Moderator cut: ... luckily the judge was not having any of this.

i am fine with workmans comp doing their due diligence to make sure claims are legitimate. but that is not their goal. their goal is to deny claims, no matter what.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 06-28-2013 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: removed personal info

Old 06-05-2013, 08:32 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,726,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
this is a sore spot for me because my husband is on workmans comp and they are doing everything they can to deny his claim. it's absurd. like, they had a PI follow us and Moderator cut: ... luckily the judge was not having any of this.

i am fine with workmans comp doing their due diligence to make sure claims are legitimate. but that is not their goal. their goal is to deny claims, no matter what.
This is such a tough issue and I can imagine your anger when you have a legitimate claim that is being challenged in a way that is beyond reasonable. However, in my former career, I witnessed so much abuse of workers' compensation (Puleezzzz......don't call it workman's comp -- that is so very redneck and oldschool...it is WORKERS' comp) that I am glad when there is alot of followup to make sure every claimant is actually receiving no more of less than the entitlement.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 06-28-2013 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: removed personal info from quoted post

Old 06-05-2013, 08:36 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,699,945 times
wow, i'm usually conscious of gendered language like that, thanks for pointing it out!

i don't mind that there's follow-up. while i don't like the feeling of being watched and followed and scrutinized, i understand why they did it.

but their goal has to be to verify that the claim is real. not to deny the claim even if it is real. that's where i take issue. they're clearly grasping at straws now just to get it denied, when the evidence *they* gathered shows it's legitimate, and that's wrong. i don't think is an anomaly; it's their usual mode of operation. it's just not the way things should work.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:41 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,726,784 times
Quote:
wow, i'm usually conscious of gendered language like that, thanks for pointing it out!

i don't mind that there's follow-up. while i don't like the feeling of being watched and followed and scrutinized, i understand why they did it.

but their goal has to be to verify that the claim is real. not to deny the claim even if it is real. that's where i take issue. they're clearly grasping at straws now just to get it denied, when the evidence *they* gathered shows it's legitimate, and that's wrong. i don't think is an anomaly; it's their usual mode of operation. it's just not the way things should work.
Agree that there's probably some kind of 3rd party company that gets payment and commission if they can disprove your claim and their motive isn't pure...... Sorry, past malingers have had such an impact on the system that its become dirty all the way around.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:15 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,695,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Although note that there is a lot more evidence than just her spinning the wheel. Given enough adrenaline, people can temporarily overcome a lot of pain. Police officers and firefighters get accused of disability fraud all the time. "You were weightlifting! How can you say you are too injured to work?" But people don't understand that repetitive use over 10 hours is very different from a 60 minute light workout; especially when a joint or muscle failure in the former has a good chance of killing you or someone else.

Yet despite her pain she was able to sit on an airplane for a cross country flight. And coming from NC to LAX most likely required changing planes.

People who are in that much discomfort don't board planes or go on long car trips, with the exception being some type of family emeregency(a death in the family).

Her greed outweighed her common sense in regards to pulling a fast one.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:08 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,708,253 times
Quote:

followed you? not no, but hell no! I would have got out of my car and told that guy, do you got a problem? And if he wants one, I would give them, file something with the police for harassment.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 06-28-2013 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: deleted personal info from quoted post

Old 06-05-2013, 12:09 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,361,220 times
Quote:

Yet in another thread you were telling us all about how you were thinking of relocating for a job and how it might affect your husband's business.

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...r-finally.html

Quote:
the area is everything we want, except that it's not a great place for my husband to start his business. not terrible, but not as good as some of the other places we are looking.

i got the pay up from crappy to ok, but my husband has some independent income right now that makes it acceptable. he will not have it indefinitely, though.
Looks like the reason Workers' Compensation follows so many folks is because they cannot trust what people SAY about their true ability to perform work and bring in income and Workers' Comp needs to see for themselves what the true extent of disability really is and how their injury will actually affect and reduce the level of their lifetime income potential so they know how much money the person really deserves to get for their work-related injury. If someone is able to start a business, why should they also be on Workers' Compensation?

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 06-28-2013 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: deleted personal info in quoted post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment