Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 12:17 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,614,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
If someone is able to start a business, why should they also be on Workers' Compensation?
How is anyone supposed to move on from a work-related injury if they aren't allowed to draw compensation for the time it takes them to retool into a new line of work?

Old 06-05-2013, 12:17 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,692,119 times
oh, how did i know that someone was going to get all critical....

Quote:
Yet in another thread you were telling us all about how you were thinking of relocating for a job and how it might affect your husband's business.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...r-finally.html
he is going to be starting a business. i'm not sure how that is relevant? he's been doing the same job for about 20 years, it's wrecked his hand and now he is going to start over by starting a business. if he gets a settlement from worker's comp, it will go towards that.

Quote:
Looks like the reason Workers' Compensation follows so many folks is because they cannot trust what people SAY about their true ability to perform work and bring in income and Workers' Comp needs to see for themselves what the true extent of disability really is and how their injury will actually affect and reduce the level of their lifetime income potential so they know how much money the person really deserves to get for their work-related injury. If someone is able to start a business, why should they also be on Workers' Compensation?
another possible outcome of his case is that worker's comp will pay to retrain him to do a job that doesn't require the same kind of movement in his dominant hand. i don't see how using a settlement to start a business (or even just being paid for the time in which he had and recovered from 5 surgeries on his dominant hand and 2 on his non-dominant, and the time it takes to figure out what the hell he is going to do without that hand) is any different from that. and a settlement is probably less money than paying him a weekly check for however much more time while also paying to retrain him.

as i said, i'm not concerned about being followed in order to verify the injury. i'm concerned about the fact that they are making ridiculous accusations about him working because a furnace repair guy came to our house etc.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
followed you? not no, but hell no! I would have got out of my car and told that guy, do you got a problem? And if he wants one, I would give them, file something with the police for harassment.
well, we had no idea this was going on until we saw the report.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:21 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,342,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
How is anyone supposed to move on from a work-related injury if they aren't allowed to draw compensation for the time it takes them to retool into a new line of work?
What some people like to do is use WC to a bridge to Social Security disability, claim they can never work again because of the injury, and never work W2 again but instead start their own cash business off the books or start a business with all the paperwork in their wife's name. That's why WC is such a PITA to everyone because they know that. Then everyone injured at work jumps through hoops whether they deserve to or not.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
What some people like to do is use WC to a bridge to Social Security disability, claim they can never work again because of the injury, and never work W2 again but instead start their own cash business off the books or start a business with all the paperwork in their wife's name. That's why WC is such a PITA to everyone because they know that. Then everyone injured at work jumps through hoops whether they deserve to or not.
are you actually insinuating that this is what my husband is going to do?

Moderator cut: snip he is going to start a legitimate, taxpaying business in his own name, and there is no conflict whatsoever with his worker's comp claim in him doing that.

in any case, worker's comp isn't concerned about people starting businesses while on disability. that's the social security administration's problem.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 06-05-2013 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: Deleted personal comment

Old 06-05-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
oh, how did i know that someone was going to get all critical....

he is going to be starting a business. i'm not sure how that is relevant? he's been doing the same job for about 20 years, it's wrecked his hand and now he is going to start over by starting a business. if he gets a settlement from worker's comp, it will go towards that.

another possible outcome of his case is that worker's comp will pay to retrain him to do a job that doesn't require the same kind of movement in his dominant hand. i don't see how using a settlement to start a business (or even just being paid for the time in which he had and recovered from 5 surgeries on his dominant hand and 2 on his non-dominant, and the time it takes to figure out what the hell he is going to do without that hand) is any different from that. and a settlement is probably less money than paying him a weekly check for however much more time while also paying to retrain him.

as i said, i'm not concerned about being followed in order to verify the injury. i'm concerned about the fact that they are making ridiculous accusations about him working because a furnace repair guy came to our house etc.
So when he had the hearing after you found out your husband was accused or fixing furnaces, did your husband explain to them his plans for the WC settlement money about what kind of business he is going to start and how they are totally off base about furnace repair? I think if they know his plans then they would have no reason to follow anyone and perhaps would agree it is a good idea and settle sooner if it is a valid business idea.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
are you actually insinuating that this is what my husband is going to do?

Moderator cut: snip he is going to start a legitimate, taxpaying business in his own name, and there is no conflict whatsoever with his worker's comp claim in him doing that.

in any case, worker's comp isn't concerned about people starting businesses while on disability. that's the social security administration's problem.
No of course not.

I am saying A LOT of people do that.

You cannot deny that. It's true.

That is the direct reason YOU and YOUR husband are being watched.

The history of other people that went before him on WC gaming the system and they start the charade by working when they shouldn't while on WC.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 06-05-2013 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted comment per above

Old 06-05-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
No of course not.

I am saying A LOT of people do that.

You cannot deny that. It's true.

That is the direct reason YOU and YOUR husband are being watched.

The history of other people that went before him on WC gaming the system.
for the 4 millionth time, i understand verifying people's claims. i even understand them watching us.

but the fact is, they have turned up NOTHING but a bunch of wild conjecture about my husband being a rock star, a furnace repairman, and being me. by the way, they didn't even follow me to work, they just followed me when i picked someone up early in the morning. there is no solid evidence whatsoever behind those claims. none.

you just can't convince me that this is justified. they did their due diligence to verify his claim, and they verified it. now they are just trying to deny it for any reason they can dig up. and i still don't believe that wc actually gives a crap about people going on disability and then starting under the table businesses. that's not their problem. they care about their bottom line and that's it.

and i believe when he was asked about the furnace thing in the hearing, he said "our furnace was broken, so we called a repairman" or something along those lines. no, he didn't launch into an explanation of his business plan. when you are in front of a judge, you answer the questions that you are asked.

Last edited by groar; 06-05-2013 at 12:41 PM..

Old 06-05-2013, 12:35 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,614,365 times
Quote:
now they are just trying to deny it for any reason they can dig up.
Denying payments to somebody who filed a justified claim saves them exactly as much money as denying payments to somebody who filed an unjustified claim.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Denying payments to somebody who filed a justified claim saves them exactly as much money as denying payments to somebody who filed an unjustified claim.
oh yeah, it's obvious what their motivation is.

we're just hoping that taking it to the next step isn't financially attractive to them (and based on a few things, it seems like it isn't). otherwise this is just going to drag on forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment