Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 01:34 PM

792 posts, read 1,178,250 times

Advertisements

All the other titles were taken so I used this one.
I am receiving UI and have received 2 payments.
I'm in Kansas.

I developed Type 2 diabetes in 2013 and along with it comes fatigue. I already have anxiety and depression. Yes, I take medication.

My former company placed me on FMLA and that worked good because it kept me from losing my job due to missed days. I didn't really miss days of work because they make you use vacation. In January of this year I went to part time "reasonable accommodations" (ADA) and another guy went to full time. We just switched places and that was good for both of us. Then I got terminated for something unrelated to my disabilities (that I know of.)

So now I'm to be looking for work as I collect UI. I applied for UI online and answered everything they asked. They did not ask about diabetes. I am so confused. I guess for legal reason they call Depression and Diabetes a "disability." I don't really feel disabled. I'm 64 and can work like a horse with the rest of them. There are days that I am just wiped out. I sleep almost all day. Then the next day I'm fine.
That's why I was on FMLA. I began receiving Widow's Benefits in January and that's why I could afford to go to part time.

Yesterday I called Kansas UI and asked the girl how I am to apply for jobs? I mean do I tell them I have T2 Diabetes, depression, etc? Or do I just take the job and whatever comes up deal with it then?
The girl spoke up and told me she'd have to write that down since I made her aware of my disabilities.
I said to her, also, I'm only looking for part time work. She spoke up again and said she'd have to write that down too.

When you apply for UI they take your last years wages and that determines how much you'll receive each week. UI took last years wages when I was working full time and that's how they determined the amount I'm to receive. I was working part time beginning in January of this year but no where did it ask me if I was looking for full or part time.

I asked her if any of what I've told her will disqualify me from UI and she said she'd have to review it.
What is it that I could say or do to the UI people that would get my benefits cancelled?

I'm looking for a job but I was getting paid pretty good so it's taking some time to find one. I can't find one that pays as good as I was getting.

The UI girl did tell me if I apply for a job then don't accept it my UI could be stopped.
Well, how am I supposed to know if I'm right for the job until I've heard everything offered? If they want me to drive 50 miles to work can I refuse that job and still keep my UI?

Do I tell the company I'm applying to Oh, by the way, on my last job I was on FMLA and also had "reasonable accommodations"?
Who would hire me?

I don't even know if I'm making much sense here.
But I thank anyone who can help me sort this out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 02:34 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,109,855 times
Like a lot of other threads, you were supposed to come here BEFORE you opened your mouth up to a UI worker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawter View Post
What is it that I could say or do to the UI people that would get my benefits cancelled?
You've already done it. Now, you have to wait.

UI is no sympathy system. If you get disqualified, you did it to yourself.

Old 05-17-2019, 02:38 PM

13,134 posts, read 21,045,405 times
First things first, Never, Ever again call unemployment and blab about matters that can cause them to deny you benefits. If you don't understand something, seek help from whomever doesn't have a vested interest to stop paying you. Now what you said is on record and can cause them to stop payments and deny you benefits going forward. You may have just thrown away your benefits!

You apply only for jobs whose job announcement seems reasonable to your education and experience, AND, that is otherwise suitable based on salary, distance, benefits, etc. If you have no idea what is considered suitable in your state, you need to read the statues before acting. But, never call unemployment! Refusing a job offer MAY cause your benefits to stop, but that's only if the offer was legitimate, without conditions and otherwise suitable. Nothing in KS law says you must take a job if offered or lose benefits of you refuse. You WILL NOT lose benefits if you refuse an unsuitable offer.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:12 PM

On top of what Rabrrita said, in one of your other threads, you say you're 64 years old.

If you make sure that you put your date of birth or year you graduated from high school or college, I could have almost assured that your application would have been shoved to the bottom of any hiring list. You could have gone through the motions of applying for work, and never had to worry about actually being offer work.

Why oh why you wanted to use the UI people as a career counselor is beyond me. It can very well be a very expensive session that provided you with no useful help.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:52 PM

792 posts, read 1,178,250 times
Sorry I asked.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:55 PM

You should be sorry that you called the UI people, or asked too late. Hopefully, others read this thread and word spreads. If you don't know, get help BEFORE you do something. Once you do it, you can't always fix it.

Old 05-17-2019, 04:16 PM

663 posts, read 434,955 times
Just FYI..
To be covered in your new job under Family medical Leave Act ..... FMLA eligibility requires the following criteria: The employee must have been employed with the company for 12 months. The employee must have worked at least 1,250 hours during the 12 months prior to the start of FMLA leave. The employer is one who employs 50 or more employees within a 75-mile radius of the worksite.

Reasonable Accommodations are more flexible... the criteria is
A reasonable accommodation is assistance or changes to a position or workplace that will enable an employee to do his or her job despite having a disability. Under the ADA, employers are required to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified employees with disabilities, unless doing so would pose an undue hardship.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:09 PM

724 posts, read 531,786 times
Quote:
Sorry I asked.
Don’t be. You can’t change the past and there’s some on here that just love to bash.

Your situation has not materially changed, and you’ve been looking for work. You’re still eligible as long as you can satisfy the “able and available” test and show regular work searches.

You can’t be as picky the longer you go, but do make sure to document those searches. If you do receive an offer, it must meet what is customary for your industry. Ask about commutes, etc in the phone screen.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
UI took last years wages when I was working full time and that's how they determined the amount I'm to receive. I was working part time beginning in January of this year but no where did it ask me if I was looking for full or part time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo42 View Post
Your situation has not materially changed,

https://oui.doleta.gov/unemploy/pdf/...onmonetary.pdf page 5-27, and footnotes on page 5-28

Don't give her false hope. Her claim was based on a base period while she was working full-time. Her part-time didn't start until Jan, and those wages wouldn't have been used for a claim filed this quarter. KS' part-time worker exception wouldn't be available to her, and there's no notations documented for a medical exception.

She's going to have problems.

Then on page 5-30, KS has a footnote 3. "part-time work history required." Could mean that if she'd worked part-time the week before she applied, she dodged a bullet, OR it could mean that she hadn't worked part-time long enough to have the protections.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:01 PM

6,457 posts, read 9,832,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo42 View Post
Don’t be. You can’t change the past and there’s some on here that just love to bash.
They are NOT bashing the OP, just the fact that she called the UI office.

Chyvan and Rabrrita are the 2 most valuable people on CD imo. They help people everyday get their claims approved. How many people have never posted but simply read their warnings and gotten approved?

No one else on CD help people get money that need it as badly as someone unemployed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment