Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 07:33 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,104,721 times

Advertisements

It's an appeal REQUEST. They are always the same. "The determination dated mm/dd/yy is wrong. I want an appeal hearing scheduled."

The end.

"Being Wrong," is a reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 09:10 PM

210 posts, read 376,387 times
You can have your local PA CareerLink fax the appeal request for you and they will date stamp your appeal form and give you a fax receipt. When the employer does not respond in a timely manner, you should have been mailed a severance questionnaire. The UC Service Center that is adjudicating your claim appears to have dropped the ball. Get the appeal form in timely, but I would also suggest calling the initial claims line at 1-888-313-7284 or ask to use the UC Courtesy phone while you are at the CareerLink. The UC Service Center can remand their own determination without you having to wait for a UC Referee hearing if you can get them to send you the severance questionnaire and if you have any documentation of the severance, such as your signed general release and severance agreement and/or the paystub with the severance. They can remand their own determination during the window between the date the determination was mailed and the appeal deadline date.

It should say on your determination which UC Service Center adjudicated your claim. For my own curiosity, which Service Center was it? My beer bet would be it’s Erie or Harrisburg Overflow Center.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:44 AM

13 posts, read 5,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DupontCoalKracker View Post
You can have your local PA CareerLink fax the appeal request for you and they will date stamp your appeal form and give you a fax receipt. When the employer does not respond in a timely manner, you should have been mailed a severance questionnaire. The UC Service Center that is adjudicating your claim appears to have dropped the ball. Get the appeal form in timely, but I would also suggest calling the initial claims line at 1-888-313-7284 or ask to use the UC Courtesy phone while you are at the CareerLink. The UC Service Center can remand their own determination without you having to wait for a UC Referee hearing if you can get them to send you the severance questionnaire and if you have any documentation of the severance, such as your signed general release and severance agreement and/or the paystub with the severance. They can remand their own determination during the window between the date the determination was mailed and the appeal deadline date.

It should say on your determination which UC Service Center adjudicated your claim. For my own curiosity, which Service Center was it? My beer bet would be it’s Erie or Harrisburg Overflow Center.
I'm going to the CareerLink office to fax my appeal. I also have been calling the claim number as you suggested, and it hasn't rang one time in the 20 times I've called! The line is always busy. I will keep trying until I get ahold of someone.

I appreciate the information about remanding the determination, I do have a paper speaking about the severance, so hopefully when I mention this I can get that questionnaire mailed...I'm crossing my fingers I don't have to go to a hearing and that this can be done quicker.

You got it right, it was the Harrisburg Overflow Center. I'm guessing this is normal

Thank you very much!

Old 06-21-2019, 02:59 PM

Wanted to update whoever is interested. I did file my appeal at the CareerLink center, they faxed it for me. Also, I called the statewide number, and I got transferred to the office who signed the denial letter. I spoke with a nice gentleman who affirmed what the letter said, that they didn't receive anything about how much severance I got, "we dont know if you got $15,000 or $150,000". I explained how I never received anything regarding this, and if I did I would have taken care of it. I told him the amount of my severance, and he said he was going to "hand deliver" to the case worker who was assigned and explain this to her. He said to file my appeal regardless, but that "I might get a letter stating that the decision was remanded".

Also, I received ANOTHER Notice of Determination today, which states: "The claimant is eligible for benefits under Section 402e, beginning with the week 5/25/19."

So I assume this is going in my favor, I just have to wait and see what happens with the severance part of it.

Old 06-21-2019, 03:32 PM

210 posts, read 376,387 times
The 402(e) determination is totally separate issue from the severance. A 402(e) determination involves a discharge or suspension. Eligible under 402(e) is usually a discharge with no finding of willful misconduct. So the nature of the separation from the employer has been decided in your favor.

Old 06-21-2019, 04:38 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,104,721 times
BUT, you still have the severance issue holding up payments. Allow your appeal request to continue to be processed on the severance issue.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupontCoalKracker View Post
The 402(e) determination is totally separate issue from the severance. A 402(e) determination involves a discharge or suspension. Eligible under 402(e) is usually a discharge with no finding of willful misconduct. So the nature of the separation from the employer has been decided in your favor.

Got it. That’s good to know that I’m “cleared” on this end. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
BUT, you still have the severance issue holding up payments. Allow your appeal request to continue to be processed on the severance issue.

Yeah, I checked online probably 10x to see if a payment was made, no such luck. Crossing my fingers this goes quickly without a hitch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment