Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 05:33 PM

10,014 posts, read 4,750,854 times

Advertisements

I'm hearing conflicting stories of even people who lost employment 2 years ago might be eligible even if their
unemployment ran out. I guess the individual should just file and see what happens.

Just be careful not to sit on benefits because I know people who did that after the 2008 crash on purpose and it took them years to get an above board job with benefits. Potential employers asked about/noted their employment gaps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2020, 05:52 PM

153 posts, read 114,930 times
yea this is not that type of situation as 2008..

Old 04-01-2020, 12:33 AM

76 posts, read 72,049 times
So what I'd like to know is what happens when you exhaust your state max benefit number? We talk so much about exhausting the 26 weeks annually you're allowed to be compensated for in a year but what about the balance you can claim? If it's capped at like let's say 10k, was there no extension to continue funding beyond that?

Old 04-01-2020, 06:21 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,164,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter7280 View Post
So what I'd like to know is what happens when you exhaust your state max benefit number? We talk so much about exhausting the 26 weeks annually you're allowed to be compensated for in a year but what about the balance you can claim? If it's capped at like let's say 10k, was there no extension to continue funding beyond that?
The 13 week extension adds to that claim balance, as does the $600/week enhanced benefit.

Technically, you can claim for far longer than 26 weeks, even under normal circumstances - it's just that many states break the claim balance into larger chunks, rather than small over the year.

Let's say you were also working part time during that year, and reporting that income, you could stretch it for the entire year.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipito View Post
The 13 week extension adds to that claim balance, as does the $600/week enhanced benefit.

Technically, you can claim for far longer than 26 weeks, even under normal circumstances - it's just that many states break the claim balance into larger chunks, rather than small over the year.

Let's say you were also working part time during that year, and reporting that income, you could stretch it for the entire year.
So I filed for unemployment on March 1st. I got approved 3 weeks later with the following criteria

Weekly Benefit rate: $600
Partial Benefit Rate: $720
Max Benefit Rate: $9,600

I got all my benefits up until now weekly. I think my balance is like $7,800 left. That clearly would run out before 26 weeks.

I know the 26 weeks was the max amount of time you could collect, but it was extended. If an individual had a balance of let's say $17,000, he would still have a balance remaining after those 26 weeks and beyond. But for a smaller number like mine, that 9,600 would evaporate in 4 months. Are you saying those state benefits would continue with a $0 balance left?

Old 04-01-2020, 12:11 PM

874 posts, read 731,804 times
dont cheer for 13 weeks, everyone should have started unemployment at the same time as everyone is effected this locked down will last until at the minimum next year, kids arent going back to school this year no way. 13 weeks when the ENTIRE WORLD has shut down? no, you should be very very angry not happy. 2 trillion dollars in bail out and you get a $1200 check, and 13 weeks?

Old 04-01-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30 View Post
dont cheer for 13 weeks, everyone should have started unemployment at the same time as everyone is effected this locked down will last until at the minimum next year, kids arent going back to school this year no way. 13 weeks when the ENTIRE WORLD has shut down? no, you should be very very angry not happy. 2 trillion dollars in bail out and you get a $1200 check, and 13 weeks?
Nice job trying to put words in my mouth. You're literally trying initiate a fight on this subject. My profession is shut down right now. I was filing for this unemployment prior to even the CARES act was enacted or drawn up. This is our way of getting by and surviving right now due to the pandemic and you're literally flipping the script like we thrive on handouts. Here's some news for you bro, I EARNED THAT ****IN income thru my hours and service. If I didn't, I wouldn't be collecting on it which is the first time in my lifetime doing so.

Old 04-01-2020, 03:16 PM

3,259 posts, read 2,783,515 times
Quote:
So I filed for unemployment on March 1st. I got approved 3 weeks later with the following criteria

I got all my benefits up until now weekly. I think my balance is like $7,800 left. That clearly would run out before 26 weeks.

I know the 26 weeks was the max amount of time you could collect, but it was extended. If an individual had a balance of let's say $17,000, he would still have a balance remaining after those 26 weeks and beyond. But for a smaller number like mine, that 9,600 would evaporate in 4 months. Are you saying those state benefits would continue with a $0 balance left?

Yes because as i explained on your other post you probably only had 16 base weeks of employment over $200 a week for NJ (that's the 2020 amount needed for a base week). So your claim balance will be paid out over 16 weeks. Not everyone get's the payout over 26 weeks. It goes off of how many countable base weeks you have. and yes i take it to mean that those who exhausted their benefits and have zero balance would be entitled to the xtra 13 weeks. The only way someone would have a balance left is if they went back to work and didn't get unemployed again and have to reopen their claim enabling them to use up the rest of their claim balance. This would be the same if their claim was for 16 or 26 weeks or any other # of weeks as deemed by their claim.

Old 04-01-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:

No. You’re going to hit the wall early and it’s really unclear how that is going to be handled.

You’re in NJ right? Did you have a prior claim?

Old 04-01-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke&30 View Post
Please take this to P&OC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment