Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2020, 11:15 AM

3 posts, read 3,132 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine received a letter in the mail regarding Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation. She lives in Brooklyn, New York. Her place of employment started cut backs and then eventually shut down. She applied for unemployed benefits after being laid in April 2019. The benefits ran out in October 2019. Then she applied for social security and receives a monthly payment of about $1,500 a month. Below is the letter she received this week.

We know this is a difficult time, and we want to help you get all the unemployment*benefits*for which you ma be*eligible.

Governor Cuomo recently signed an agreement that will provide eligible New Yorkers with up to 13 additional*weeks of unemployment insurance*benefits. Our records show that you may be eligible for these emergency*benefits because*you received*regular UI benefits that expired on a after July 1, 2019. If you are currently unemployed through no fault of your own, you should file a new claim for UI benefits. If you do not have enough wages to qualify for regular UI benefits, you many be eligible for these new Pandemic Emergency Compensation benefits.*

If you are currency*working, DO NOT QUIT YOUR JOB to collect these benefits. You will not be eligible. IF you cannot work for a reason related to COVID-19, please visit www.labor.ny.gov. and select Pandemic Unemployment Assistance for more information.

The first week that PEUC*benefits can be paid is for the week ending Sunday, April 5, 2020. To apply for these benefits, you must file a new claim. IF you experience delays or challenges*in filing your claim, we will backdate your claim to week ending April 5th.*

File a claim online at my.ny.govCall the Telephone Claim Center at 888-209-8124 during the hours of operation: Monday-Friday, 8:00 am - 7:30 pm, and Saturday-Sunday, 7:30 am - 8 pm. Choose your language option, then 9 for the main menu, and then press 3 to file a claim. After providing your information, you will need to speak to an agent to complete your claim.*

You have a choice of receiving these PEUC*benefits on a debit card or by*direct deposit*into your personal checking account.*

If you want to receive your PEUC*benefits by direct deposit, you cannot do this by telephone. You must log in to www.labor.ny.gov/signup with your NY.gov ID.

She is planning on going to the website to check her eligibility. She wants to know if anyone else is in a similar situation? If anyone else has received this letter? She doesn't want to apply for benefits and violate anything that affects her social security or insurance. Thank you for any help you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2020, 11:48 AM

516 posts, read 554,320 times
Yes her benefits ran out after july 2019.

If she can claim she is looking for work and can't get a job because of covid 19. What's the worst that can happen, you get denied.

As long as it's regular SSI.

Old 04-25-2020, 12:01 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,215,020 times
I would say Yes too but I don't have specific knowledge of SS so hopefully someone with knowledge can chime in, but I just wanted to thank you for posting the letter. I've been so curious about what it will actually say since I have not received one yet. Even though I'm in CA, I'm thinking the letters will mostly have similar talking points.

Old 04-25-2020, 12:06 PM

3,259 posts, read 2,769,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaymurdock View Post
A friend of mine received a letter in the mail regarding Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation. She lives in Brooklyn, New York. Her place of employment started cut backs and then eventually shut down. She applied for unemployed benefits after being laid in April 2019. The benefits ran out in October 2019. Then she applied for social security and receives a monthly payment of about $1,500 a month. Below is the letter she received this week.

We know this is a difficult time, and we want to help you get all the unemployment*benefits*for which you ma be*eligible.

Governor Cuomo recently signed an agreement that will provide eligible New Yorkers with up to 13 additional*weeks of unemployment insurance*benefits. Our records show that you may be eligible for these emergency*benefits because*you received*regular UI benefits that expired on a after July 1, 2019. If you are currently unemployed through no fault of your own, you should file a new claim for UI benefits. If you do not have enough wages to qualify for regular UI benefits, you many be eligible for these new Pandemic Emergency Compensation benefits.*

If you are currency*working, DO NOT QUIT YOUR JOB to collect these benefits. You will not be eligible. IF you cannot work for a reason related to COVID-19, please visit www.labor.ny.gov. and select Pandemic Unemployment Assistance for more information.

The first week that PEUC*benefits can be paid is for the week ending Sunday, April 5, 2020. To apply for these benefits, you must file a new claim. IF you experience delays or challenges*in filing your claim, we will backdate your claim to week ending April 5th.*

File a claim online at my.ny.govCall the Telephone Claim Center at 888-209-8124 during the hours of operation: Monday-Friday, 8:00 am - 7:30 pm, and Saturday-Sunday, 7:30 am - 8 pm. Choose your language option, then 9 for the main menu, and then press 3 to file a claim. After providing your information, you will need to speak to an agent to complete your claim.*

You have a choice of receiving these PEUC*benefits on a debit card or by*direct deposit*into your personal checking account.*

If you want to receive your PEUC*benefits by direct deposit, you cannot do this by telephone. You must log in to www.labor.ny.gov/signup with your NY.gov ID.

She is planning on going to the website to check her eligibility. She wants to know if anyone else is in a similar situation? If anyone else has received this letter? She doesn't want to apply for benefits and violate anything that affects her social security or insurance. Thank you for any help you can provide.
What program is she receiving funds for from Social Security? Social Security Disaiblity INcome (SSDI)? I doubt it's SSI (as that's supplemental security income) and to best of my knowledge they're not paying $1500 a month.. more like a little over $800 a month. More details needed on the specifics. If SSDI was she working part time which keeps her under her SSDI limit that she can earn and still stay on the program. There are specific rules regarding SSDI.

Old 04-25-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraprsmith View Post
What program is she receiving funds for from Social Security? Social Security Disaiblity INcome (SSDI)? I doubt it's SSI (as that's supplemental security income) and to best of my knowledge they're not paying $1500 a month.. more like a little over $800 a month. More details needed on the specifics. If SSDI was she working part time which keeps her under her SSDI limit that she can earn and still stay on the program. There are specific rules regarding SSDI.
Thank you for replying.

She was working full time for about 30+ years.

The type of benefits she is receiving is -

From the Social Security Administration: Retirement, Survivors and Disability Insurance. Social Security Benefits

She is not disabled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scal2010 View Post
I would say Yes too but I don't have specific knowledge of SS so hopefully someone with knowledge can chime in, but I just wanted to thank you for posting the letter. I've been so curious about what it will actually say since I have not received one yet. Even though I'm in CA, I'm thinking the letters will mostly have similar talking points.

You're welcome. Thank you for taking the time to respond. Hopefully the letters are similar and hopefully it arrives soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon25 View Post
Yes her benefits ran out after july 2019.

If she can claim she is looking for work and can't get a job because of covid 19. What's the worst that can happen, you get denied.

As long as it's regular SSI.
Thank you for replying. True the worst thing that can happen is she gets denied.

Old 04-25-2020, 07:23 PM

153 posts, read 73,494 times
I was helping a friend of mine and was told as long as the type of Social Security is "Old Age" then it would not effect UI. I'm in Texas, but suspect that is everywhere.

Old 04-25-2020, 07:48 PM

3,259 posts, read 2,769,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaymurdock View Post
Thank you for replying.

She was working full time for about 30+ years.

The type of benefits she is receiving is -

From the Social Security Administration: Retirement, Survivors and Disability Insurance. Social Security Benefits

She is not disabled.

You're welcome. Thank you for taking the time to respond. Hopefully the letters are similar and hopefully it arrives soon.

Thank you for replying. True the worst thing that can happen is she gets denied.
Can I collect unemployment benefits and Social Security at the same time?

AARP | Comments: 0

Yes. Unemployment benefits are not counted as wages under the Social Security annual earnings test, so they won’t affect your Social Security benefits.

Some states used to reduce an unemployment benefit if you collected Social Security, but that is no longer the case. All states that had such policies have repealed them.

Updated March 17, 2020

Any benefits you get from unemployment insurance will not reduce your Social Security payments. That's because Social Security does not count unemployment benefits as earnings. So the benefits will not push you closer to earnings ceilings that trigger cuts in Social Security benefits for people ages 62 to 66.

Looks like UI /PEUC will have no affect on her SS Retirement benefits.. and SS Retirement benefits won't offset her potential PEUC 13 week unemployment extension. And if she gets the 13 week PEUC extension she would also be eligible for the $600 FPUC

Just remember UI benefits and the federal UI benefits are taxable on the federal level. Most states do not tax unemployment benefits at the state level, but double check the specific state to make sure.

She will be entitled to the 13 week extension since her UI benefits ran out after 7/1/19. Did her UI claim also expire? What state is she in because each state seems to be handling the 13 week PEUC extensions differently.

Old 04-30-2020, 04:56 PM

Thank you scraprsmith and Polka Dot for the updated responses.

@scraprsmith Her claim also expired. She is in NYC...Brooklyn to be exact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment