Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2020, 08:15 PM

1 posts, read 524 times

Advertisements

I am 22 years old out of college for a year now graduated. I graduated with a degree in IT management, my goal was to relocate to San Diego and have a change of scenery down the road in the future. I went to work achieving that goal calling places and sending in Job applications left and right. I would get turned down and told that they found someone else through automated emails. I got frustrated and had some crazy personal problems, so I ended up quitting my job through my selfish actions due to my depression. I wasn't working, racking up my moms bills and stuff feeling bad, but knowing there was nothing I could do but keep applying. I tried fixing my resume I even got a professional resume writer to write the resume nothing no response. I tried calling the companies following up, the one person in charge of hiring told me it would be way easier if I was local. I did some research and It turns out that most companies say that they prefer a local candidate over out of state candidates almost every time. Unless I were to have crazy skills that aren't common. I always had a hard time getting jobs. I have Zero work experience, I worked at a dialysis office for only a year fixing machines. The rest of the time I was in school, and in high school I struggled to find work at all, because I was not 18.

I decided to save up more money and just become local to the city. I worked at a restaurant part time food running making $9 an hour it was a grind but I had sooo much money saved. I came out here beginning of march, calling recruiters, meeting with them. about a month into my stay here, I had someone offer me an interview, he liked what he saw but due to the coronavirus he can't move forward and the company is on a hiring freeze. He said once this whole thing blows over he'll move forward with me and the hiring process. I just am not sure when this is gonna blow over. I didn't sign a lease so thankfully I am not too screwed over, my mom told me she doesn't really want me back.

Even If I were to go back the restaurant I was working isn't open for dine in and I wouldn't be able to work there. I can't collect Unemployment, because I didn't make enough back in 2018 due to me being in college. I guess It goes by last year. I couldn't get a stimulus check because I am considered dependent because my mom filed my taxes last year. She tells me that I am dependent this year, but it sucks that It only goes by last year I am just staying at an airbnb right now, I have money to stay out here for a few more months, but after that I should really find something because I really need to start working. My mom was trying to get me to file unemployment in the state I was living in, but I am not living in there at the moment so I don't even know if they would have let that fly

I have no work experience tho, it even was hard back when I was at my Mom's house. I was thinking I should get a job at the grocery store here, but my mom says it needs to be a career to pay rent. Should I just go back and live with my mom? I wouldn't be working either and I am sick of this unemployment BS, I just want to be on my own and my mom calling me immature for not knowing how the world works really sucks and its frustrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 08:25 PM

3,259 posts, read 2,769,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgebushe View Post
I am 22 years old out of college for a year now graduated. I graduated with a degree in IT management, my goal was to relocate to San Diego and have a change of scenery down the road in the future. I went to work achieving that goal calling places and sending in Job applications left and right. I would get turned down and told that they found someone else through automated emails. I got frustrated and had some crazy personal problems, so I ended up quitting my job through my selfish actions due to my depression. I wasn't working, racking up my moms bills and stuff feeling bad, but knowing there was nothing I could do but keep applying. I tried fixing my resume I even got a professional resume writer to write the resume nothing no response. I tried calling the companies following up, the one person in charge of hiring told me it would be way easier if I was local. I did some research and It turns out that most companies say that they prefer a local candidate over out of state candidates almost every time. Unless I were to have crazy skills that aren't common. I always had a hard time getting jobs. I have Zero work experience, I worked at a dialysis office for only a year fixing machines. The rest of the time I was in school, and in high school I struggled to find work at all, because I was not 18.

I decided to save up more money and just become local to the city. I worked at a restaurant part time food running making $9 an hour it was a grind but I had sooo much money saved. I came out here beginning of march, calling recruiters, meeting with them. about a month into my stay here, I had someone offer me an interview, he liked what he saw but due to the coronavirus he can't move forward and the company is on a hiring freeze. He said once this whole thing blows over he'll move forward with me and the hiring process. I just am not sure when this is gonna blow over. I didn't sign a lease so thankfully I am not too screwed over, my mom told me she doesn't really want me back.

Even If I were to go back the restaurant I was working isn't open for dine in and I wouldn't be able to work there. I can't collect Unemployment, because I didn't make enough back in 2018 due to me being in college. I guess It goes by last year. I couldn't get a stimulus check because I am considered dependent because my mom filed my taxes last year. She tells me that I am dependent this year, but it sucks that It only goes by last year I am just staying at an airbnb right now, I have money to stay out here for a few more months, but after that I should really find something because I really need to start working. My mom was trying to get me to file unemployment in the state I was living in, but I am not living in there at the moment so I don't even know if they would have let that fly

I have no work experience tho, it even was hard back when I was at my Mom's house. I was thinking I should get a job at the grocery store here, but my mom says it needs to be a career to pay rent. Should I just go back and live with my mom? I wouldn't be working either and I am sick of this unemployment BS, I just want to be on my own and my mom calling me immature for not knowing how the world works really sucks and its frustrating.
If you do not have enough earnings or work history you should be able to file a PUA claim.. That's one of the reasons allowed for under the PUA guidelines. File your claim and don't take a crap part time job for now. Keep looking for your dream job that will pay your bills while collecting UI and tapping in on the extra $600 a week federal money.

Old 05-21-2020, 08:26 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,215,146 times
My two cents are I would probably go back to live with your Mom if I were you because I wouldn't want to waste the money on an airbnb for a few months. I would rather save that money and then plan to come back after summer because more businesses will be open then. But only you can know what the right thing to do would be.

About filing for unemployment and not living in that state anymore, that's fine from what I know. I'm not an expert though but people here have filed in the state the work was completed even if they didn't live there anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment