Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 06:06 PM

69 posts, read 45,750 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am new to these boards .

I have found myself unemployed in state of Massachusetts due to being let go from my most recent Employer for Not being a good fit/Performance.

Unemployment Agency received this most recent employers Questionaire and has determined I am eligible as not working being no fault of my own.

The Monetary portion of claim also determined to be Eligible as I earned enough in the Base Period.

However, I have a Former Employer still in Base Period who has NOT responded to the Questionaire from Unemployment, their deadline to do so was Monday June 8, 2020.

That Job was a unsafe working conditions situation where I resigned .

I have a Boatload of emails to Human resources confirming myself informing this Employer why I resigned, emails actually dating back to 2018 informing Employer my distress, the stressful incidents kept happening.

I explained this in email in regards to why I resigned as well.

I know the Questionaire is pretty straightforward and can be completed by Employer within 5 to 10 minutes just as my most recent employer did.

My question here is :

How long can this Former just not respond ?

And would a default Judgement occur?

Thank you in advance.

Playing the waiting game is not fun, it's reliving the distress I felt working there all over again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 06:12 PM

957 posts, read 537,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandriagg View Post
Hello,

I am new to these boards .

I have found myself unemployed in state of Massachusetts due to being let go from my most recent Employer for Not being a good fit/Performance.

Unemployment Agency received this most recent employers Questionaire and has determined I am eligible as not working being no fault of my own.

The Monetary portion of claim also determined to be Eligible as I earned enough in the Base Period.

However, I have a Former Employer still in Base Period who has NOT responded to the Questionaire from Unemployment, their deadline to do so was Monday June 8, 2020.

That Job was a unsafe working conditions situation where I resigned .

I have a Boatload of emails to Human resources confirming myself informing this Employer why I resigned, emails actually dating back to 2018 informing Employer my distress, the stressful incidents kept happening.

I explained this in email in regards to why I resigned as well.

I know the Questionaire is pretty straightforward and can be completed by Employer within 5 to 10 minutes just as my most recent employer did.

My question here is :

How long can this Former just not respond ?

And would a default Judgement occur?

Thank you in advance.

Playing the waiting game is not fun, it's reliving the distress I felt working there all over again.
Did UI TELL you that they are waiting for a response from the former employer? If not... then I wouldnt worry about it. If they did.. then the employer has a certain amount of time only to respond and then once they dont... the UI will decide.
You can look on the UI page FAQs for your state and find out how long your former employer has to respond

Old 06-10-2020, 06:24 PM

Hi, Thankyou for reply.

Yes, UI did let me know that it is this Former Employer is what is holding the Claim up.

One Rep will inform me that it will be a Default Judgement as the Former Employer did not respond and another Rep said it will be most likely denied as it was a "Quit " whether the Employer responds or not.

As mentioned, I have all emails from Human Resources back and forth confirming that this Employer was well aware of the working conditions I complained of, etc.

Old 06-10-2020, 07:06 PM

957 posts, read 537,681 times
Quote:
Hi, Thankyou for reply.

Yes, UI did let me know that it is this Former Employer is what is holding the Claim up.

One Rep will inform me that it will be a Default Judgement as the Former Employer did not respond and another Rep said it will be most likely denied as it was a "Quit " whether the Employer responds or not.

As mentioned, I have all emails from Human Resources back and forth confirming that this Employer was well aware of the working conditions I complained of, etc.
So this is what I found on google when I searched for MA

"Collecting Unemployment After Quitting
You won't be eligible for unemployment benefits if you quit your job voluntarily, without good cause. In general, good cause means that you had a compelling reason that left you no other choice than to quit. For example, if you left your job because of dangerous working conditions or discrimination that your employer refused to stop, you may be able to collect benefits. If you quit your job because of domestic violence, or for other personal reasons that are urgent and compelling and made it necessary to quit, you will remain eligible for benefits. "

Read through this page below:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...ect%20benefits.

Old 06-10-2020, 07:56 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,976,546 times
Questions for clarification in order to help.

1. When did these unsafe conditions reach the point you first informed the company?

2. From that time to now, did they fix the condition and a new one popped up or was it just a continuation of the same condition that was never fixed or kept reappearing?

3. When you decided to quit, was it for one of the reasons you previously brought to the company's attention or was it something new?

4. When you decide to quit, was it for a specific unsafe act or was it more of a 'not gonna take it anymore' situation?

Old 06-11-2020, 02:08 AM

Thankyou for replies.

As for the Questions-
1. I informed company back in 2018 and times after that all the way into 2020 about the incidents (have all emails)

2. Human Resources spoke to me and stated they spoke to the individual who was the issue but incidents continued to happen, they still kept him sitting near me,etc.

3. Yes, when I resigned- I emailed to Human Resources that this (working condition due to Individual) was the reason for resignation.

4. Both.

Old 06-11-2020, 02:17 AM

I just want to mention also that UI also informed that one Rep informed me that they are not considering now what this Employer states because they have missed their deadline to respond.

But then again, every Rep I talk to have different answers.

Thank you again for replies.

Old 06-11-2020, 01:39 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,976,546 times
Your former employer may not respond initially as part of an intelligent tactic. Many employers will not respond to unemployment's initial request so they can appeal from a neutral staring point. When they appeal, they get to see what you told unemployment (the same goes for you if they spoke to unemployment), and that gives them the advantage of seeing your cards upfront while you have no idea what they are holding. It's not uncommon for claimants to discover that at an appeal, the employer suddenly has stacks of evidence and documents that step by step, dismantles your version as you initially told unemployment.

Now as for your stated reasons, be very careful what you present. On one hand you're saying things were so unsafe that at a specific time and place, it compelled you to quit. If the events were the same as in the past, you can't use it now because clearly they were not so serious to compel you to quit when it happened before. So explain why you didn't quit before if it was so bad? This is how things can quickly turn on you at an appeals hearing so you have to think it through from the start.

Old 06-11-2020, 03:33 PM

Hi, thanks so much for reply.

So, today I just learned claim portion denied as "Indefinately Ineligible" and although Employer did not send in Questionaire, it appears that they have spoken to Unemployment .

They have stated it was a simple personality conflict and I quit volunatarily, which if you look at emails I have , that is not the case.

A couple different incidents caused the poor working conditions.
Dating back to 2018- I even emailed VP, in which she replied to apologize to one another .

But then incidents kept occurring making all uncomfortable.

The most recent being the icing on cake that made me resign and I informed HR of this.

Attorney states appeal and he will develop a case for me to go forward.

First step is Appeal.

Attorney is concerned that nothing is in writing from Employer-I guess it's time to fight it .

Old 06-11-2020, 03:48 PM

290 posts, read 183,557 times
Quote:
Hi, thanks so much for reply.

So, today I just learned claim portion denied as "Indefinately Ineligible" and although Employer did not send in Questionaire, it appears that they have spoken to Unemployment .

They have stated it was a simple personality conflict and I quit volunatarily, which if you look at emails I have , that is not the case.

A couple different incidents caused the poor working conditions.
Dating back to 2018- I even emailed VP, in which she replied to apologize to one another .

But then incidents kept occurring making all uncomfortable.

The most recent being the icing on cake that made me resign and I informed HR of this.

Attorney states appeal and he will develop a case for me to go forward.

First step is Appeal.

Attorney is concerned that nothing is in writing from Employer-I guess it's time to fight it .
Good luck. Its almost always a pain in the butt and an uphill battle when a quit is involved. UI looks at it as an automatic denial pretty much. I will say it's a 50/50 whether or not you will be rewarded benefits upon appeal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment