Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2009, 11:39 AM

727 posts, read 1,097,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaskye07 View Post
But does that mean for us (ones already on the last extension) or for those that have just lost their jobs.) Some people who ran out before Feb 15 didn't get this last SEB.
Or does it mean that there won't be an extension for us or are we included in this.
It is an extension for us-the Bill reads that States must have 3 months or more of 9% unemployment. Well, GA is in the running as we have been at 9% for months now. It would provide another 13 weeks. They revised the original Bill as it ran out the end of this year. IT is a good thing!
Now, if they can get in there in September and get it passed quickly and implemented, we all might be okay for another 13 weeks...I don't know about any of you, but I am seriously stressing once again at the thought of our checks running out in September. We need this-as well we need job creation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 06:48 PM

461 posts, read 945,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishva View Post
It is an extension for us-the Bill reads that States must have 3 months or more of 9% unemployment. Well, GA is in the running as we have been at 9% for months now. It would provide another 13 weeks. They revised the original Bill as it ran out the end of this year. IT is a good thing!
Now, if they can get in there in September and get it passed quickly and implemented, we all might be okay for another 13 weeks...I don't know about any of you, but I am seriously stressing once again at the thought of our checks running out in September. We need this-as well we need job creation.
They need to extend it on out until the first of the year at least.

I am glad they are considering another 13 weeks extension, but that will end the second week in december.
Well christmas is in december and it will be a sad christmas for a lot of kids if it runs out then.

IMO they should carry it out until at least the end of January. Tax time is then and maybe people can file taxes and have a little relief from that.
As long as the economy is like it is they need to keep extending it until they produce jobs.
They spend so much money on useless stuff that they could provide this.

I would be glad to go to work if there were jobs out there.
you take a job making 7.25 hour... that's $290.00 week. Well tax that leaves maybe if you are lucky 210.00. If you got 2 kids like I do and they charge 150.00 week for both of them that leaves you clearing $60.00 week. Well that 60.00 is gas to go to work the next week and you clear nothing. Nothing at all. I am sorry but there is something wrong with that.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:57 PM

462 posts, read 989,743 times
I am confused...why is everyone saying that their SEB runs out in Sept? According to my calculations, mine does not run out until the second week of Oct. Am I doing something wrong??

Old 08-03-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS200 View Post
I am confused...why is everyone saying that their SEB runs out in Sept? According to my calculations, mine does not run out until the second week of Oct. Am I doing something wrong??
You got 20 weeks didn't you... Well we only got 16 weeks. My orginal UI claim was for 20 weeks. 80% of that is 16 weeks. That is why we run out in September and you October (if you got 20 weeks.)

Old 08-03-2009, 07:24 PM

Default check this out

Another Unemployment Benefit Extension On The Way?

by Adam Doster on August 03, 2009 - 10:49am
For months now, we've been following efforts at both the state and national level to extend unemployment benefits for those still struggling to find work in this faltering economy. In May, the General Assembly modified state law so laid-off workers could access a seven-week extension of unemployment benefits made available under President Obama's economic stimulus package. After the change, which was signed into law by Gov. Pat Quinn in late June, jobless residents became eligible to receive 53 weeks of federal unemployment benefits in addition to 26 weeks of state benefits. But like other states across the country, Illinoisans are finding that benefits are drying up faster than new positions are opening up. The New York Times detailed the problem yesterday:
But unemployment in this recession has proved to be especially tenacious, and a wave of job-seekers is using up even this prolonged aid.
Tens of thousands of workers have already used up their benefits, and the numbers are expected to soar in the months to come, reaching half a million by the end of September and 1.5 million by the end of the year, according to new projections by the National Employment Law Project [NELP], a private research group.
The National Employment Law Project breaks down estimates by state here (PDF). Even though the modernization bill was signed in Illinois, 23,343 workers are expected to lose their benefits by September. In December, that number jumps to 57,624.
Help may be on the way, however. Rep. Jim McDermott (D-WA), chairman of the U.S. House Subcommittee on Income Security and Family Support, told the Times that he would introduce a bill next month to provide another 13 weeks of coverage in states that -- like Illinois -- are experiencing unemployment rates of 9 percent or higher. President Obama's top economic advisers seem on board. Some Republicans, like Sen. Jim DeMint of South Carolina, have also expressed interest in the idea. But the extension will be most valuable if the Congress foots the entire bill. Adding any additional pressure to state unemployment funds could force state governments to borrow more heavily than they already have.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:44 PM

462 posts, read 989,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaskye07 View Post
You got 20 weeks didn't you... Well we only got 16 weeks. My orginal UI claim was for 20 weeks. 80% of that is 16 weeks. That is why we run out in September and you October (if you got 20 weeks.)
OK...thanks. I thought maybe I had figured it wrong. Sorry you only got 16...everyone should have gotten the full 20. If I was the boss of everything, I would give you all a raise!!

Old 08-04-2009, 05:57 AM

727 posts, read 1,097,222 times
My original claim was 26 weeks-I'm wondering if I should go in to the DOl-although I do not want to rock the boat as it were. I am grateful for what I got.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:59 AM

968 posts, read 2,620,617 times
It has now been five weeks certifying on a initial UI claim, and I still have not been paid. I am just speechless amongst being pissed the **** off. I had all my documentation. The office spoke with my former employer.

I moved here after a lot of officials were installed but I vow not to miss one election for ANYTHING. If there is a poll for the janitors position, I will be there to vote.

The accountability is just blown out the window.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:51 AM

38 posts, read 80,491 times
Hi All-

I only got 13 weeks of SEB, so I only have four weeks left! UGH!! Anyhow, I had to ask you all, my benefit year ran out on 7/29 so I have to go into the DOL today to get it going again....any idea how long it will take me to see a check again?? I am guessing 4 weeks, huh? I know this is probably in the threads somewhere, but there are so many to read! Thanks!! BTW, thank you all for the useful information that is always posted on here, it is much appreciated, and yes, I sent letters/ e-mails too!

Old 08-05-2009, 07:37 AM

6 posts, read 13,828 times
I have read all the posts here as well and found them very useful. My Tier 2 ran out last week and was told to fill out the SEB application by someone at the Columbus office a week ahead of time. Well, I got a denial letter saying I had more tier 2 benefits left. Well, I knew that but was told to apply early, well when I called the Columbus office back they told me to certify again and fill out the app again, I did and of course now it says my week ending 8/1 not paid. I don't see how some people don't lose a week and others have to play the waiting game. No telling when I will actually see money again. I e-mailed Randy and Mrs. Yates yesterday and have not heard from the. Hopefully they will get my SEB claim approved and I will see money soon! Thanks for everyone's help and getting the names and numbers of people to get in touch with as the Columbus people don't seen to know crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment