Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2009, 12:19 AM

15 posts, read 27,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by havak View Post
i was told that the job market was good out there in texas.
Yea I believe it is Tx has always had a pretty good job market so I'm hopeful thank you. I pray everything goes well for you as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 06:18 AM

727 posts, read 1,097,278 times
The numbers for unemployment came out today-Georgia has risen to 10.3% in July and I bet it goes up again for August....we need help!

Old 08-20-2009, 08:19 AM

462 posts, read 989,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishva View Post
The numbers for unemployment came out today-Georgia has risen to 10.3% in July and I bet it goes up again for August....we need help!
I was just looking at the trigger notice report and discovered that the TUR for Georgia has not changed since July 19.....it remains at 9.7%. Can anyone explain this???

Old 08-20-2009, 11:17 AM

I guess GA DOL is not keeping up with the numbers anymore-I guess they are too busy..this is serious people. My benefits will be gone the second week of September and I CAN NOT find a job. No calls, no interviews-nothing. Here we go again. Our rep's in DC say that WE will be the first priority when they return from their August recess- but I am willing to bet nothing is done for weeks. I am not looking forward to this again. There is yet another article(the weekly BS) on MSN concerning how the new claims for unemployment have risen in the last 2 weeks-which means even more people have lost their jobs. When does this end? Where are all the jobs the 2009 Stimulus was supposed to create? The Banks and Wall Street are the only one's who have benefited from the trillions of dollars thrown at them. We need jobs and we need more benefits-the hell with health care right now and as long as the focus is always on something BUT the UNEMPLOYED, we will not see a change. I think it is time to take this to the streets and start some quiet protests with signage and the whole nine yards-if nothing else-we would get media coverage. I apologize for todays rant...but I am sure there are others of you who feel the same exact way as I do.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32488556...ks_and_economy

Old 08-20-2009, 06:11 PM

Here is some interesting information about the US Foreign Worker program

The term "Foreign Worker" does NOT include migrant workers

There are an estimated 14 MILLION foreign workers in the US

Bill Gates recently made a pitch for more foreign worker visas to be allowed, stating that we need them to remain competitive in technology (interesting that while he is encouraging allowing more foreign workers, Microsoft is in the process of laying off 5000)

Updated: 6:18 pm EDT March 31, 2009 CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- In the Queen City, thousands of people work at Wachovia and Bank of America, but some of them are losing their jobs to foreign workers brought in to replace them. (they were even asked to train their replacements)

The U.S. government said Aug 7 that it resumed accepting applications for foreign temporary worker visas

Top H-1B Occupations (foreign worker occupations)

Miscellaneous professional, technical and managerial 2.1%
occupations

Computer-related occupations 43%

Other 17.9%

Engineering, architecture and surveying 12.1%

Education 11%

Medicine and health 6.6%

Life sciences and social sciences 5.6%

Mathematics and physical sciences 2.5%

The ability of U.S. employers to attract the world's best and brightest, not to mention the proverbial huddled masses, has long been a point of national pride. But there is no consensus on how, or if, immigrants fit into the U.S. workforce. For years, national debate centered on undocumented workers and their role in stimulating the economy or depressing wages. Now, with slow economic growth and high unemployment, the same questions are asked about legal foreign workers, particularly the 181,000 or so who gain entry each year on H-1B and H-2B visas.
Foreign-hiring programs generally stem from the premise that Americans aren't skilled enough or won't do certain jobs. ( a real slap in the face for those of us who are unemployed and desperate) The claims evoke skepticism from many academics and labor rights advocates. But even when confronted with bureaucratic hurdles, U.S. employers at both ends of the skills spectrum say they have no choice.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:08 PM

285 posts, read 662,176 times
Well I am just trying to stay focused and pray that I can start college again in January. I am so tired of all of this going back and forth, I never worked this hard in a long time. I just can not believe after nine years of college I can not find a decent paying position. I really believed in our Government that they would do the best for their people in hard times. I know how it really feels to be a low income base person and I hate the hell out of it. I am trying every second to stay focused on the positive and that is knowing on this site there are people who care about one another. We are allowed to vent and not be put down or looked down upon each other as low classed people. Well a few more weeks to get unemployment benefits and I pray something drastic will happen for us all.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:56 AM

92 posts, read 152,316 times
[quote=SMS200;10375300]Here is some interesting information about the US Foreign Worker program

SMS200 - Thank you for this information. In truth, it shines a light on the dilapidated (for lack of a better term) unemployment system in the U.S. The WIA and training "programs" are a joke, in my opinion. Simply window dressing to say that something is being done. Well, why not put emphasis on targeting the types of training and retooling that would equip dislocated workers to fill the positions that are handed out to foreign workers? That would solve the "Americans are not skilled enough" debate. I was taught that charity begins at home...looks like our capitalistic society has forgotten that value.

The premise behind unemployment legislature is to provide temporary assistance to people, who through no fault of their own are unemployed, until they find another job. I get that. The caveat, however, is that it has to be a job, any job that pays slightly more than the weekly UI benefit. Unfortunately, this legislature does not work in the current economy.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:48 AM

92 posts, read 152,316 times
There is also a bill in the Senate to provide additional unemployment benefits, introduced Aug. 7. Below are a couple of links. We need to continue our phone calls, emails and letters to Congress. Also, pass this information on to your friends and families who live in Georgia and other states, even those who are still employed. The more voices heard, the more Congress is reminded that the unemployed still have the right to vote.

S. 1647: A bill to provide for additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes (GovTrack.us)

Senator Jack Reed

Old 08-21-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyleac01 View Post
There is also a bill in the Senate to provide additional unemployment benefits, introduced Aug. 7. Below are a couple of links. We need to continue our phone calls, emails and letters to Congress. Also, pass this information on to your friends and families who live in Georgia and other states, even those who are still employed. The more voices heard, the more Congress is reminded that the unemployed still have the right to vote.

S. 1647: A bill to provide for additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes (GovTrack.us)

Senator Jack Reed
Good find Nyleac-I hope we the unemployed -disenfranchised and slowly spiriling downward through the middle class threshold actually see something next month. And as another pointed out-13 weeks isn't going to get it as we all will be in the same exact position then as we find ourselves now-no jobs to be had and it will be around Christmas time. I really wish GA had the business resource here with the DOL-if I had some help or an angel who was willing to invest-I could hire someone right now to assist me. And it would be one of you guys if you were interested.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyleac01 View Post

Senator Jack Reed
This bill was referred to the Senate finance committee on Aug 7. Here is the mailing list:

Committee On Finance
219 Dirksen Senate Office Building

Washington, DC 20510-6200
202) 224-4515
Committee Members....write to all of them

CHUCK GRASSLEY, IA
ORRIN G. HATCH, UT
OLYMPIA J. SNOWE, ME
JON KYL, AZ
JIM BUNNING, KY
MIKE CRAPO, ID
PAT ROBERTS, KS
JOHN ENSIGN, NV
MIKE ENZI, WY
JOHN CORNYN, TX
MAX BAUCUS, MT Head of Senate finance committee
JOHN D. ROCKEFELLER IV, WV
KENT CONRAD, ND
JEFF BINGAMAN, NM
JOHN F. KERRY, MA
BLANCHE L. LINCOLN, AR
RON WYDEN, OR
CHARLES E. SCHUMER, NY
DEBBIE STABENOW, MI
MARIA CANTWELL, WA
BILL NELSON, FL
ROBERT MENENDEZ, NJ
THOMAS CARPER, DE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment