Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 08:12 AM

8,956 posts, read 20,376,989 times

Advertisements

Job ad: "Some college coursework, but Bachelor's Degree preferred"
Just what does a person do when the word "prefer" shows on the ad? Do you apply for the job, even though you haven't got a Bachelor's Degree? Just how many resume's will this company (or agency) get that have Bachelor's Degree on them that CAN/WILL end up putting your resume' in the can?

Same goes for this, Job ad: "Bachelor's Degree, with a CPA preferred"
Again, apply for the position even though you're not "CPA" qualified and knowing that SOMEONE will send a resume with CPA on it and (again) your resume ends up in the can!

There are some things in the Job Ad that don't match your experience......do you still apply knowing that SOMEONE will send a resume that comes a lot closer (if not completely matches) the Job Ad's experience?

Do you ever think to yourself....."Just what the "H" is this employer looking for...a GENIOUS!!??

Does your last job pretty much-to-not at all match your previous experience/educaton and the "real" career you've had?
Example: You took a hobby and turned it into a small home business, but it just didn't pay off.

If you are an older job seeker, are you afraid that your skills/knowledge are too "old school" for the 2009 and on job market?

Do you think to yourself, I've got the experience and education that this ad calls for.......so why in the "H" (again) aren't I getting a call for an interview. Just what is this employer looking for????????????

It looks to me like some-to-a lot of big employers have gotten EXTREMELY picky (as they can right now), but leaving the non-degreed, less experienced people out of consideration!! Am I right or wrong???
Any other questions like the above, go ahead and list them here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 08:57 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
When I saw the ad for my current job, I thought they had written it off my resume. But I've never had a job in the past that my resume exactly matched the job description/requirements. Usually it was close but not exact, and a couple of tiems I wondered how the heck I landed the job because it was maybe half a match. I'm in my late 40's and wasn't at all concerned about my experience being considered "old school" because I'm totally on top of market trends and highly computer literate.

Regarding the CPA or degree, yes, they are looking for that. But if they can find someone that's a perfect fit otherwise who is willing to work for less, they might just go with the "less qualified" applicant.

I have a friend who doesn't have a degree but has been doing bookkeeping for small businesses for 30+ years. She's been able to stay employed because she's willing to work for less than the person with the business degree and five years experience.

Also keep in mind that often the employer is really only expecting to match about half of the listed requirements with the applicants.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:29 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Do you think to yourself, I've got the experience and education that this ad calls for.......so why in the "H" (again) aren't I getting a call for an interview. Just what is this employer looking for????????????

It looks to me like some-to-a lot of big employers have gotten EXTREMELY picky (as they can right now), but leaving the non-degreed, less experienced people out of consideration!! Am I right or wrong???
Any other questions like the above, go ahead and list them here.
Shouldn't they be picky? Aren't you picky when looking for a contractor to work on your house?

And just because you didn't hear back doesn't necessarily mean they thought you lacked anything. You may have everything they needed... but other applicants had the same and more. So in essence it wasn't that you didn't make the minimum cut... but its just that you were beaten by a better candidate. Not the most comforting thing to experience... but it happens all the time.

And in this current situation, you have to assume that every employer is just getting slammed when they advertise for a position. It simply does not make business sense to respond to every resume sent in.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:08 AM

I've seen ads before that the job description did fit my experience to a "T", but they wanted a certificate and/or a degree! I'm seeing some ads out there now that are asking for one or both of these and have absolutely no idea why, after I read the job description! And, if the salary isn't high enough to match having the certificate and/or degree, something is definitely wrong!! IMO, that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
When I saw the ad for my current job, I thought they had written it off my resume. But I've never had a job in the past that my resume exactly matched the job description/requirements. Usually it was close but not exact, and a couple of tiems I wondered how the heck I landed the job because it was maybe half a match. I'm in my late 40's and wasn't at all concerned about my experience being considered "old school" because I'm totally on top of market trends and highly computer literate.

Regarding the CPA or degree, yes, they are looking for that. But if they can find someone that's a perfect fit otherwise who is willing to work for less, they might just go with the "less qualified" applicant.

I have a friend who doesn't have a degree but has been doing bookkeeping for small businesses for 30+ years. She's been able to stay employed because she's willing to work for less than the person with the business degree and five years experience.

Also keep in mind that often the employer is really only expecting to match about half of the listed requirements with the applicants.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:10 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
In my area it's become commonplace to see ads like "Bachelors required, masters preferred, 5 years experience, excellent references, $9/hour to start".

This was for an asst. manager of a car rental place, and it's becoming more and more common to see employers requested higher education and years of experience but only paying barely above minimum wage (This is in California).

I have a Bachelors and a couple of certificates and even with that and years of experience it was hard for me to justify working a job that paid less than $10 an hour. Unfortunately, I live in near a college town and even those jobs are snatched up by people.

Luckily I'm employed now, but it wasn't easy for a long time.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:15 AM

Yes, they can be "picky", but what about the unemployed out there that don't have a Certificate and/or a Degree???? As stated in my last posting, not every good job out there should require (or even prefer) a Certificate and/or a Degree!! I am a BIG believer in Certificates and College Degrees, but I now think employers are requiring them too much.
Wouldn't it just be nice to have an employer tell the complete TRUTH on why you weren't picked for the job (if asked by the person)? I mean, generally nothing is said b/c there is no phone call back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Shouldn't they be picky? Aren't you picky when looking for a contractor to work on your house?

And just because you didn't hear back doesn't necessarily mean they thought you lacked anything. You may have everything they needed... but other applicants had the same and more. So in essence it wasn't that you didn't make the minimum cut... but its just that you were beaten by a better candidate. Not the most comforting thing to experience... but it happens all the time.

And in this current situation, you have to assume that every employer is just getting slammed when they advertise for a position. It simply does not make business sense to respond to every resume sent in.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
I've seen ads before that the job description did fit my experience to a "T", but they wanted a certificate and/or a degree!
Then the ad didn't fit you to a "T."

Quote:
I'm seeing some ads out there now that are asking for one or both of these and have absolutely no idea why, after I read the job description! And, if the salary isn't high enough to match having the certificate and/or degree, something is definitely wrong!! IMO, that is.
The salary is enough to attract an employee with the skills and education that the employer is looking for. Just because someone has 30 years experience doing something, it doesn't mean that they are any better than an employee that has five years experience. There are some jobs that once you've hit a certain point, additional years aren't going to make you a better employee, just one that wants more money.

I have 20 years experience doing what I'm currently doing, but set my salary range the same as someone with five years for this job. The reason is that it's a job that after five years you either know it inside out, or you don't. At this point, further experience isn't going to make me any better at what I do, as long as I keep up with current trends.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Yes, they can be "picky", but what about the unemployed out there that don't have a Certificate and/or a Degree???? As stated in my last posting, not every good job out there should require (or even prefer) a Certificate and/or a Degree!! I am a BIG believer in Certificates and College Degrees, but I now think employers are requiring them too much.
Wouldn't it just be nice to have an employer tell the complete TRUTH on why you weren't picked for the job (if asked by the person)? I mean, generally nothing is said b/c there is no phone call back!
Sometimes the reason a person isn't hired has nothing to do with their experience or education, but rather their personality.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:49 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
According to recruiters I interviewed with, when they say "preferred", the companies honestly mean "required". When they ask for industry experience, they really mean industry experience. This was the feedback I got while looking for a job in 2007. I can imagine it's only worse today. Years ago, I did not find it difficult to get a job where MBA was preferred with only a degree nor found it difficult to jump from one industry to another. That is not the case nor my experience since last year.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:41 PM

98 posts, read 198,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
In my area it's become commonplace to see ads like "Bachelors required, masters preferred, 5 years experience, excellent references, $9/hour to start".

This was for an asst. manager of a car rental place, and it's becoming more and more common to see employers requested higher education and years of experience but only paying barely above minimum wage (This is in California).

I have a Bachelors and a couple of certificates and even with that and years of experience it was hard for me to justify working a job that paid less than $10 an hour. Unfortunately, I live in near a college town and even those jobs are snatched up by people.

Luckily I'm employed now, but it wasn't easy for a long time.
Oh boy isn't this the truth. I am astounded by the numerous jobs in my "hopeful" field that pay $9-11 and require bachelor's degree with experience!! I am in California as well, and I am looking for a job in the social services/non profit field as a case manager or something similar.

There are jobs, but while I have the degree I have yet to get any experience in the field that I prepared for. Secondly, I am older than a lot of applicants at 43 YOA; plus I would think I am competing against people that do have the experience which is putting my resume in the round file it would seem. I returned to school after working a non-traditional occupation that was basically glorified labor, so I have never really had any "accomplishments" to highlight my resume. I am going to tweak my resume and see if that helps, but I don't know.

I mean I made more in my previous field than what alot of these jobs are offering with the degree too, and that may be singling out my chances with some of these employers. I just made too much in the past I guess. Needless to say I took time off from the workplace to finish my degree last year and have not worked in 5 years. I really would like to have it pay off for me soon. I haven't been to any job fairs yet (I know, I know) but I'm going to one tomorrow. We'll see how much more my frustration sets in after tomorrow !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment