Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 10:19 AM

165 posts, read 430,862 times

Advertisements

During a recent job interview, the interviewer (a small firm) asked whether I was someone who needed health insurance. After I said yes, his demeanor changed, the interview lasted about 10 minutes and it was obvious to me that he was no longer interested in hiring me. This has happened to me numerous times. I know that many employers seek out married women who have their husband's health insurance. I was even asked straight out at one interview whether I was married (very illegal I know - but I am sure it was because the health insurance issue). I am currently unemployed and it is so hard to even get an interview, then when you finally get one and get your hopes up, this happens. Has this been happening to other people during job interviews?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 10:43 AM

17 posts, read 61,344 times
I've been on a lot of interviews recently and I haven't experienced that (I'm a single female). What I have been noticing is that a lot of positions that would normally be full-time are suddenly 10-months or contractual in an attempt to avoid having to offer full benefits.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:52 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,083,239 times
I've used not needing health insurance as a bargaining tool to get a higher salary, but I've never felt that it was an impediment to being hired.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:23 AM

754 posts, read 1,923,802 times
Just be better prepared on your next interview to side step the question. Usually companies will have benefits posted in the job description. If so, make sure insurance is there and if the question is asked you can say, "I thought insurance was a part of the benefits". If there is no indication and you are asked say, "It depends on insurance offered. Does your company offer insurance?" You won't lose anything by asking because if they do not offer any, will you work there anyway?

I have been asked if I were married, had children, my age, the whole gambit of illegal questions and yet, a company hired me that asked everyone of them. So sometimes they aren't discriminating based on the answers.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:57 AM

1,317 posts, read 4,059,676 times
Almost 20 years ago, I went on a job interview and when the interview was almost over, the lady asked if I was married. When I told her no, she pretty much wrapped up the interview and told me they were only interested in hiring married women since they didn't offer health insurance and a woman could get on with her husband's insurance at her company.

Yeah, I didn't think of "discrimination" back then for that.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:10 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,645,393 times
I have been in that situation before... from then on I always wore a small silver ring on my 'wedding hand' and it went much smoother. After speaking with a long time HR lady she told me that married people are usually more stable and they prefer hiring married people over singles because with single people there is always a chance of 'partying' and of course, the insurance stuff.

My company offers fabulous benefits, and if we choose not to have them we get a stipend of $350 a month to go towards the insurance we want. I'm lucky in that respect.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:31 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,126,645 times
waaaaaahhahahahaha.....

Old 09-18-2009, 10:19 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,751,115 times
It seems companies discriminate against women for Health Insurance, but as a guy, I have never experienced this type of disrimination that women get.

Old 09-19-2009, 08:22 PM

4 posts, read 8,486 times
I have been laid off from Johnson and Johnson. Someone has told me there is stimulus money to assist with the hefty COBRA premium. The unemployment commission knows nothing about this. Can anyone confirm this assistance is available? Thanks.

Old 09-20-2009, 12:57 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,770,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I have been in that situation before... from then on I always wore a small silver ring on my 'wedding hand' and it went much smoother. After speaking with a long time HR lady she told me that married people are usually more stable and they prefer hiring married people over singles because with single people there is always a chance of 'partying' and of course, the insurance stuff.

My company offers fabulous benefits, and if we choose not to have them we get a stipend of $350 a month to go towards the insurance we want. I'm lucky in that respect.
How idiotic. Half of married women get divorced. Zero un-married women get divorced. Divorce can be an okay process or it can be life-wrecking and job-destroying. Why anyone would want to hire someone with that kind of potential baggage is bizarre.

If the reason is "we're religious and think that everyone should be married" then they should just say so instead of making up stuff like "married people are more stable".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment