Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2009, 01:41 PM

11 posts, read 25,291 times

Advertisements

I applied for unemployment in May after being laid off from my last job at the end of April. I had no trouble receiving benefits, but today when I filed another weekly claim it says that I have exhausted all my benefits and to call for an extension. The next two lines said I would be get my regular check in a few days and that if I remain unemployed I can file again next week. On my check from last week I still had a $2800 balance and I get 511 a week after taxes so I figured that I still had a few more weeks left. Does anyone know if I will still get my check this week and if I can apply again next week, or are all the weeks up for the regular benefits, even though there is still money left over in my file? Also does anyone know how hard it is to get a first extension?
I have heard of 2 people who got another 6 months of benefits no questions asked, but I can't find anything online. I am in MA btw.
My employment history is as follows:
June 2006 -July 2007 - quit due to boss doing illegal stuff
September 2007 - April 2008 - laid off because boss didn't have money to pay me anymore. I didn't file at this time because I was on a work visa (I got my green card in March 2009 so that is why I could file this past May)
May 2008 - April 2009 - laid off due to the economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 08:26 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
It sounds similar to what I've been going through and situations I've read happening in other states. My friends have said, when I retell my story, is that it sounds like the movie The Rainmaker--the John Grisham story in which an insurance company denies all claims for a year regardless of merit, on the presumption that most people will just give up finally tells one customer 'You must be stupid, stupid, stupid'. I'm experiencing it myself and I've heard many similar stories of people who should get the automatic extension but instead get a letter saying they don't qualify, and either give up or end up going through a huge hassle to get their benefits reinstated.

I was fortunate to have a neighborhood blogger to whom I wrote about my predicament. Someone responded with an unpublished email address of the Director of Unemployment Services. I wrote a lengthy letter to them outlining all the difficulties I was having. She's just responded with a name of someone I am supposed to call who might be able to help.

In the meantime, the only communique I've received is a letter saying I can request a hearing to present my evidence for qualification for extended benefits. I've done that and am waiting to receive a hearing date.

Best of luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment