Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 01:41 PM

21 posts, read 54,279 times

Advertisements

I recently exhausted my Tier 3 benefits, and last week got the letter in the mail for claiming my Tier 4. With what is going on right now, will I still be able to claim my Tier 4 benefits come Wednesday, or am I not going to be able to. I'm unclear if this effects those on extension now, or if it effects any further extensions (the 30 day extension I heard about). Any help or info would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 01:47 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,983,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmm21 View Post
I recently exhausted my Tier 3 benefits, and last week got the letter in the mail for claiming my Tier 4. With what is going on right now, will I still be able to claim my Tier 4 benefits come Wednesday, or am I not going to be able to. I'm unclear if this effects those on extension now, or if it effects any further extensions (the 30 day extension I heard about). Any help or info would be greatly appreciated
If you exhausted your Tier III benefits no later than the week ended February 27, 2010, you are eligible to collect Tier IV -- assuming your state has triggered Tier IV (state must have a three-month average unemployment rate of 8.5%).

Your eligibility for Tier IV depends on the date of the Saturday ending the week in which you exhausted Tier III -- not the date on which you certify to collect the benefits.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:40 PM

I exhausted my Tier 3 when I claimed my check on 2/17, week ending the 19th. So even with what is going on now, I'm still okay for Tier 4? I'm having such a ***** of a time finding a job and this scares me.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:41 PM

11,319 posts, read 18,936,432 times
You should be.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
I exhausted my Tier 3 when I claimed my check on 2/17, week ending the 19th. So even with what is going on now, I'm still okay for Tier 4? I'm having such a ***** of a time finding a job and this scares me.
You cannot claim a week (i.e., certify that you were unemployed for that week) until after that week ends. If you certified for a check on February 17, then you were claiming for the two weeks ended on Saturday, February 13. Check your payment stubs for the end dates of the actual weeks you claimed.

If you ended Tier III on Saturday, February 13, then you automatically began Tier IV on Sunday, February 14.

When you complete Tier IV, you may be eligible for EB. Check your state's DOL website to see if they offer EB -- and if they do, check the criteria for eligibility and the number of EB weeks they provide.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
You should be.
I should be okay to collect, or I should be scared? Or both? Lol.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
You cannot claim a week (i.e., certify that you were unemployed for that week) until after that week ends. If you certified for a check on February 17, then you were claiming for the two weeks ended on Saturday, February 13. Check your payment stubs for the end dates of the actual weeks you claimed.

If you ended Tier III on Saturday, February 13, then you automatically began Tier IV on Sunday, February 14.

When you complete Tier IV, you may be eligible for EB. Check your state's DOL website to see if they offer EB -- and if they do, check the criteria for eligibility and the number of EB weeks they provide.

My state is New Jersey. I've been to the website, and I (like so many others) find it very unclear. The letter I got for my Tier 4 claim says i'll be claiming for weeks ending 2/20 and 2/27. I'm just unsure if the current cancellation of extensions will effect me. I find this whole ordeal very confusing, and I'm sure I'm not not alone. I do appreciate you taking the time to reply to my posts Diorgirl.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
My state is New Jersey. I've been to the website, and I (like so many others) find it very unclear. The letter I got for my Tier 4 claim says i'll be claiming for weeks ending 2/20 and 2/27. I'm just unsure if the current cancellation of extensions will effect me. I find this whole ordeal very confusing, and I'm sure I'm not not alone. I do appreciate you taking the time to reply to my posts Diorgirl.
Then you already knew that you had qualified for Tier IV -- and you knew the dates for which you started collecting Tier IV -- before your original post.

It seems then that your question is actually will you be able to continue collecting Tier IV after the February 28 cut-off date? The answer is that if you are already collecting a Tier at the time of the cut-off, you are allowed to exhaust that Tier. So you will collect all 6 weeks of Tier IV.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Then you already knew that you had qualified for Tier IV -- and you knew the dates for which you started collecting Tier IV -- before your original post.

It seems then that your question is actually will you be able to continue collecting Tier IV after the February 28 cut-off date? The answer is that if you are already collecting a Tier at the time of the cut-off, you are allowed to exhaust that Tier. So you will collect all 6 weeks of Tier IV.
I guess I was just curious because I haven't claimed the first check yet for the Tier 4. Thank you so much, you've been very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment