Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 01:46 PM

4,584 posts, read 12,399,322 times

Advertisements

Like the OP, I will soon be out of UI and living in GA at this time our unemployment rates continue to climb they are now at 10.8%.

I'm about ready to slash the price of my property again by another $30,000. in hopes of getting someone interested.

I know my job situation is bad here and will get worse, last night on the local news they will be doing major cuts to state employee's so there will be even more unemployed.

I have a very old F150 and I've been looking at small used tag alongs and toy haulers (room to store stuff).

I have decided if we get no more new tiers this month will be my last mortgage payment, I need to save my slender resources to leave and start anew.

I have a current LPN license in Ohio and there are jobs there, but I haven't worked in 19 years so I'm not sure if someone will hire me, I no longer have the funds to take a refresher course unless I can sell out.

I'm sure many many people are looking at how they can become mobile and live out of vehicles. I've been exploring this option for over 6 months. At 60 years old it will be difficult, I'm not sure how I will do it, but I belive I'm headed in that direction. I'm currently selling off everything I have as fast as I can and will hold a yard sale next month to generate more $$$ for leaving.

I wish everyone the best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 01:48 PM

199 posts, read 404,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
yeah. it got old the 5th time i got to read about those SSDI benefits and how they're used to buy bmx bikes
How dare I complain about my $950 a month on unemployment...mmmmmmmmmmmm

Old 03-11-2010, 07:06 PM

100 posts, read 308,256 times
So you people would just lay down, huh? That's so sad. You even talk about getting locked up on purpose just to have food and a bed. You know, we (me and YOU) pay about $30-40,000 for each year a person is in prison; there's huge profits behind that. So they have money for you to be locked up, but you're talking about living in a tent and begging for food? You know, in Greece right now they're in the streets, fighting for their rights as human beings in this society that continues to put billions in the hands of a few. How did Americans become so complacent and apathetic? What a slap in the face for all those who died for the rights that you don't seem to appreciate one bit. Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:22 PM

63 posts, read 160,854 times
We should helping our own countrymen before we make handouts to other countries. People are homeless and starving here in the USA. We built a prison in 1987 and one inmate told me he stole some cars so he could go to prison to get free college. He graduated Ohio State. no cost I couldn't afford to pay for my kids to go to college.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:23 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,781,833 times
I'm not milking the gov, I depend on SSDI because companies don't like to hire felons and they prefer white guys in hiring, as I have mostly seen through many companies that white guys gets the breaks and are nurtured to become upper level Mechanical Engineers. Plus when companies mistakenly believe I'm gay [I'm not] I don't last long...

If I had the situation where money was running out and I didn't have family to support me I'd sell my stuff to raise money to buy a small RV to live in.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:13 PM

348 posts, read 708,169 times
Start by looking for dangerous situations. Maybe by no fault of your own you will get hurt before you run out of uninjoyment and collect unemployment disability for 6 months. Or go to jail in any case you will be getting by. God I hope no one has to get that desprate!!!

Old 03-12-2010, 06:21 AM

199 posts, read 404,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I'm not milking the gov, I depend on SSDI because companies don't like to hire feIlons and they prefer white guys in hiring, as I have mostly seen through many companies that white guys gets the breaks and are nurtured to become upper level Mechanical Engineers. Plus when companies mistakenly believe I'm gay [I'm not] I don't last long...

If I had the situation where money was running out and I didn't have family to support me I'd sell my stuff to raise money to buy a small RV to live in.
Are you really serious sir? I cannot believe you keystroke this

Old 03-12-2010, 10:22 AM

47 posts, read 160,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROCKEN IN N.J. View Post
Start by looking for dangerous situations. Maybe by no fault of your own you will get hurt before you run out of uninjoyment and collect unemployment disability for 6 months. Or go to jail in any case you will be getting by. God I hope no one has to get that desprate!!!

Nor do I.

My intent in starting this thread though was to solicit ideas from those who are unemployed through no fault of their own and who either do not qualify for unemployment (i.e. self-employed, part-timers) or who have no further unemployment benefits and how they are (now) coping with survival.

Regarding SSDI: I'm pretty sure one does not qualify for SSDI on the basis of being a felon, minority, or otherwise employable unemployed citizen, or any combination thereof.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:13 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,809,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweethearttx View Post
Well...it's a scary thought. I am waiting to see if I was accepted as a bilingual candidate for an alternative teaching certification program. If I get in, the program starts in June, the week after my benefits end. Although the program costs money and doesn't pay me anything, which is a problem in and of itself (they require full-time attendance for 6 weeks, so you can't work anywhere while you go unless you work nights or weekends). I'm not sure how I will survive the three months I will have no income anymore while I wait for my first teaching paycheck.

If I am not accepted into the program, and still have no job, and my benefits end on schedule (in June), I will have maybe another month or so before I exhaust my savings. Then I would start pulling out my retirement funds, which would get me a few more months. Then after that, I would probably move home for the second time, and sell all my furniture and most of my belongings because this time I wouldn't have the money to pay for a storage unit. I don't know what I'd do from there because they live in the country. I had to move back to Dallas and take my chances because I couldn't find work while I was at their house. I just really don't know. 7 1/2 months out of work now, it's hard to not feel hopeless sometimes.

i feel ya...that sucks...i hope things don't go down the path where u don't get accepted into the program....but we'll find out later i guess.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:16 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,809,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROCKEN IN N.J. View Post
lol...this post is kind of funny....i thought hey maybe i can think outside the box and start a buisness where we fu$!@ up unemployed people so they can continue thier benefits....lol....i would hire my own company to mess me up if i was still recieving benefits....lol...$30 a pop to get you in a hospital bed ...just have the hospital write it off...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment