Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 04:38 PM

128 posts, read 219,541 times

Advertisements

This is the bill diorgirl mentioned recently due to the delay of the yearend extension.

Quote:
WASHINGTON, D.C.The House of Representatives today unanimously approved,H.R. 4851the Continuing Extension Act of 2010. The legislation extends critical unemployment and health care benefits, ensures that Medicare beneficiaries can continue seeing their doctors and extends other programs set to expire at the end of March.
“The immediate assistance provided by extending these unemployment and health benefits offers much-needed security for millions of Americans as they search for their next job opportunity,”said Ways and Means Committee Chairman Sander M. Levin (D-MI). The bill also assures Medicare and TRICARE beneficiaries that they can continue visiting their doctors, by preventing a drastic cut in Medicare payment rates.”

Summary of the Continuing Extension Act of 2010
  • Extension of Unemployment Insurance Programs - Extends Federal Unemployment Programs, including the Emergency Unemployment Compensation Program, through May 05, 2010.
  • Extension of COBRA Assistance - Extends eligibility for 65% subsidy for COBRA premiums through April, 30 2010.
  • Extension of Medicare Physician Update - Extends current Medicare payment rates for physicians (preventing a 21% payment reduction) through April 30, 2010.
  • Extension of Medicare Therapy Caps Exceptions - Extends exceptions process for beneficiary payment limits on outpatient therapy services through April 30, 2010.
  • Clarification of Health Information Technology (IT) Incentives Ensures certain doctors in outpatient facilities are eligible for health IT payments under Medicare and Medicaid.
  • Extension of Poverty Guidelines Extends current provision maintaining 2009 poverty guidelines through April, 30 2010 (to prevent a lowering of the poverty line).
  • Extension of National Flood Insurance Program - Extends provision through April 30, 2010.
  • Satellite Television Extension - Extends the copyright license used by satellite television providers through April 30, 2010.
  • Compensation for Furloughed Employees – Provides compensation for federal employees furloughed during March 1st and 2nd as the result of the lapse in expenditure authority from the Highway Trust Fund.
Press Release :: House Votes to Extend Critical Unemployment, Health Benefits (http://waysandmeans.house.gov/press/PRArticle.aspx?NewsID=11072 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 04:49 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,858,065 times
Limping along with the deadlines being extended only month by month offers the unemployed ZERO "much needed security". Where is the security in never knowing if bills will be passed that extend the deadlines to when YOUR next cutoff occurs?

They need to stop this month to month lame effort and actually extend the deadlines for a decent period and stop playing their political games with people's lives.

It's beyond hard to be upbeat and pro-active for job hunting and interviews while worried sick about whether you'll have income enough to pay your bare necessities. I've BEEN in the place where you hardly have ANY money to even go on interviews if you get one and your rent is unpaid and you're waiting for the utilities cutoff notice and it's beyond "not easy" to put a smile in your voice on phone interviews etc.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:53 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,659,678 times
I agree stupid BS, Just pass the dam bill that was given to them last week. This is going to make it so I will be wondering if I get the next extension as well.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:07 PM

563 posts, read 1,713,049 times
I agree with both of you.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:29 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,749,892 times
I have yet to be in an unemployment situation, but went thru similar issues with the job search when I got out of self-employment and tried to find work in 2006. Several months went by, lots of driving and fuel expense, time spent taking skill tests, interviews, next tier of interviews....etc etc. I never got the luxury of being told "sorry" right away...I was always 2nd runner up or didn't make the very last cut after jumping thru hoops....was pretty depressing.
They should extend them more under the cirumstances. I know some damn good people that have lost their jobs under the budget cuts and trickle down effects of them, and it's not fair in the least bit that they be looked down upon as the loser that can't keep a job.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:05 PM

129 posts, read 533,915 times
HR 4851 passed the House today, it goes to the Senate for a vote. Hopefully they will act on it quickly, as they are on Easter Break for two weeks on March 25th. Also the Healthcare issue is taking up lots of their time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment