Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2010, 11:08 AM

4 posts, read 15,641 times

Advertisements

Met all requirements for Ohio EB, i.e. exhausted Tier IV before the cutoff date. Supposed to get letter to that effect. Did not. Have called and been told by three people that I qualify. Now told there is an APPLICATION cutoff date for Ohio EB that was 5/9/10. My claim was submitted 5/11/10. Anyone else run into this? Either didn't get the letter they were supposed to or told they're too late to file?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 01:22 PM

600 posts, read 1,076,118 times
How can the cut off date be 5/9 when the current law says 6/5 is the cut off date?

Old 05-19-2010, 02:37 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,992,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrox311 View Post
How can the cut off date be 5/9 when the current law says 6/5 is the cut off date?
The states are free to set any cut-off date they wish -- up to the cut-off date set in the legislation -- for the application for EB, to allow them sufficient administrative time to process the applications.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:35 AM

Not cutoff to pay, which we all know currently to be 6/5/10, and will doubtless change again. What I'm talking about is a cutoff date to FILE for that extension. If a date like that truly does exist, why in the world would you not put info that important on the site with everything else? And I'm beginning to wonder if the memo wasn't read wrong. My recollection is that to qualify for the 20 weeks OHIO EB you had to have exhausted TIER IV by 5/9/10. And now that I think about it the first two ladies I talked to didn't say a word about filing cutoff. I saw the Tier IV exhaust date once on the site, now I can't find it.

Why they don't just determine now they'll run the program through 2010 (which I think is what'll end up happening anyway) is beyond me. Why the Mickey Mouse approach to approving this for 60 days at a time? It's not like employment is improving by leaps and bounds yet.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:50 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,992,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masada66 View Post
Not cutoff to pay, which we all know currently to be 6/5/10, and will doubtless change again. What I'm talking about is a cutoff date to FILE for that extension. If a date like that truly does exist, why in the world would you not put info that important on the site with everything else? And I'm beginning to wonder if the memo wasn't read wrong. My recollection is that to qualify for the 20 weeks OHIO EB you had to have exhausted TIER IV by 5/9/10. And now that I think about it the first two ladies I talked to didn't say a word about filing cutoff. I saw the Tier IV exhaust date once on the site, now I can't find it.

Why they don't just determine now they'll run the program through 2010 (which I think is what'll end up happening anyway) is beyond me. Why the Mickey Mouse approach to approving this for 60 days at a time? It's not like employment is improving by leaps and bounds yet.
The eligibility cut-off dates ARE the deadlines by which you must file. And, as previously stated, your state can set that date anytime prior to the cut-off date in the legislation.

BTW, the cut-off dates for payment vary from benefit to benefit -- some continue payment through November 2010, regardless of the eligibility cut-off date.

And if you read the press, it is obvious why the extension of these benefits in increments -- you will see that each time renewing the federal unemployment comes up, the dispute is about funding for those benefits. So until now, Congress apparently did not want to commitment to long-term funding of that magnitude.

You need to register your gripes with someone at the Ohio DOL since that state is the only one who can change its website.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:39 AM

Yeah diorgirl, I get why the delay in funding and what the dispute is all about. I don't think anyone's confused about that. It's just funny how there are billions of our dollars to give to companies that clearly don't understand basic business principles but when it comes to the people who 1) bailed out said brain trusts and 2) are registered voters it suddenly becomes, well, WE don't know if we can help THEM out. Hmmmmm. Well, if the economy is going to ever regain it's footing, then people like us have to be able to keep supermarkets, mortgage and utility companies paid, don't we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment