Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2010, 06:07 AM

18 posts, read 43,988 times

Advertisements

My question is on the procedure in New Jersey for renewing a claim at the one year mark. Are we to reinstall an existing claim? I have been working part time and collecting partial benefits. Because of this, my "bank" has been extended during each tier. At the one year mark (if congress passes the UI extensions) I will be on tier II. Do I need to do anything special when I am unemployed for one year. Any advice would be appreciated. I hesitate to question my local office as they ALL have seperate opinions on every issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 06:50 AM

154 posts, read 536,345 times
Hi Nunzie:
Here is what I did -when my Benefit Year Ended I went right to my local UI office and was assured that the correct procedure was to use their phone banks to talk to the DOL reps. I was only on hold for 5 minutes and was put through immediately to a rep. who was excellent. When I tried calling from my home I could never get through but when you use the phones at the UI office you get precedence over those calling from home. In my case, I was actually eligible for a whole new claim. The process was smooth and I didn't run into any glitches at all. So, when your BYE is up you do have to be in touch with the NJ DOL folks; it's just up to you if you want to go in to the local office.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:17 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,486,450 times
Speak to an agent by phone or in person in NJ. Do not under any circumstance re-certify online, it does not work. Based on your earnings during the first twelve months of unemployment, the agent will determine whether you continue your current Tier or start a new NJ State claim.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:20 AM

18 posts, read 43,988 times
Thanks to Onestepforward and wannabee for their prompt responses. I will go to the local office in June.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment