Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 01:10 PM

331 posts, read 956,873 times

Advertisements

The lack of awareness of the employment situation by some people who are fortunate enough to have a job is astonishing. Statements like "I live right across the street from companies X, Y and Z. I am sure they are always hiring!" can be very frustrating. No, those companies do not currently have an opening that is specific to my skill set and experience. Heck, it is a completely different industry! Even if there was one single opening, do you realize the sheer volume of applicants that are going for that one position? I can't just waltz right on, submit an application and be employed the next day. Rant over
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 02:32 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,036,530 times
Yes, they are absolutely that clueless!!!

Old 04-07-2010, 03:00 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,720,129 times
Are people who have managed to find and retain jobs more clueless than those who cannot find and retain jobs?

Do you REALLY want that answer?

Old 04-07-2010, 03:13 PM

348 posts, read 707,187 times
Every person, job, layoff or termination should be judged on his or its separate facts.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:09 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,656,898 times
Oh yes, I agree, And you will find many here who think you should work for min. wage no matter what your situation is and then try to preach to you how they are doing it on $11.50 an hour when they really are not.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:12 PM

622 posts, read 1,666,265 times
I think people are better off taking what they can find, instead of demanding a job that only pertains to their skillset.. but thats me..

Old 04-07-2010, 06:09 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,720,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaMaria View Post
I think people are better off taking what they can find, instead of demanding a job that only pertains to their skillset.. but thats me..
Well you're a normal person, so your opinion doesn't count

Old 04-07-2010, 06:26 PM

331 posts, read 956,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaMaria View Post
If I am unable to find employment in positions for which I have experience, skills and knowledge, how do you expect me to find employment in something that I have no experience, no skills and no knowledge?

Old 04-07-2010, 07:08 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,702,135 times
I'd work 80 hours a week at minimum wage and take two to three classes a semester. I tried applying at a few restaurants, going to call them and see what happens. Doubt there is anything.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:16 PM

622 posts, read 1,666,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
Well you're a normal person, so your opinion doesn't count
riiiight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikorock28 View Post
If I am unable to find employment in positions for which I have experience, skills and knowledge, how do you expect me to find employment in something that I have no experience, no skills and no knowledge?
Are you serious??? So basically what youre saying is, if McDonalds offered you a job at $10 an hour for the nighttime shift flipping burgers, you'd turn them down because you don't have any experience in a fast food environment.. is that correct??

Thats ridiculous.

It's called LEARNING. Most jobs will train you for the position they hire you for. They have a set system of procedures that need to be followed regardless of your experience. Just because you know how to run a cash register, doesnt mean you can walk into Target and start ringing people out.. Instead, you need to go through training, learn their policies and procedures, their checkout system, their computer system, etc..

FWIW, I am 29. I am a small business owner. we worked out BUTTS off to get to where we are now... We just recently hired 4 full time employees, NONE of which knew anything about our business or how we did things prior to training them.. Honestly, I didnt want to find anyone with experience in our field because I didnt want them coming in with their own habits and methods of doing it.. I want our people to do things OUR way, the way we choose to run our business.

I have worked as a cashier, in customer service, and as an operator all at Target. I started that with no experience. I have worked in the restaurant industry for years.. (Bahama Breeze, Olive Garden, PF Changs) I went into that with zero experience as well, and made bank. I worked at a florist in high school.. again, had no prior experience. I worked at a GIANT radio station, putting together commercials and sound clips and editing clips to get them ready for airing.. Guess what? No prior experience..

Just putting that out there in case people try to pull the whole 'well your situation is different' BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment