Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2012, 07:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,838 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am employed in california, 4 weeks ago my car broke down. It has a Blown head gasket and cracked cylinder head. I don't have the money to get it fixed right now.

I was able to get to work for the first 3 weeks but not the last week.

I borrowed a car from a friend for week 1. I Got a few random rides during week 2 and took the bus once. One of the guys from work gave me a ride during week 3.

The guy that gave me a ride during week 3 found another job, and started last week.

The bus ride takes 4 hours one way, 8 hour round trip. 2 mile walk each way 4 miles total from the bus stop.

I have'nt been into work for a week. I called and they know my situation. I have not quit and have not been fired.

I had to pay rent on the first of this month and have no extra cash to get this thing fixed.

I was thinking about filing for unemployement but I'm not sure if I qualify since I do technically have a job ? Also if I file, I think that might **** my boss off.

What do you guys think if I apply will I qualify ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 08:55 PM

241 posts, read 1,020,117 times
U probably won't since u are still employed. If u continue not to go to work they'll probably replace u.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,814 times
wackmasterson,
my car's engine broke down back in 2009 and I was in pretty much the same situation you were in. i told my boss i couldn't continue working because i didn't have a car and it would take me 4 hours by bus to get there. she understood and accepted my resignation letter with that explanation. i got unemployment benefits for a few months and then the employer appealed and i had to go to a hearing with an administrative law judge. he told me 4 hours was not that long of a commute and people do it all the time. he also said i should have tried to find a carpool or worked with my boss to have alternate work hours. i showed him some postings i put on craigslist looking for a carpool, but he didnt care. he also criticized me for living with my parents at 28 years old. my dad was sick at the time and i was helping to take care of him by living at home. he was very insensitive about that. he ruled against me and made me pay half the unemployment benefits back. i tried to appeal his decision, but it got turned down. i could have appealed it to civil court, but i got so worn out from the process i just gave up. maybe if you file you'll be luckier than me. hopefully if your boss appeals it you won't get this jerk judge to preside over your case. most EDD judges are pro-employee from what i've heard from others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment