Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 02:22 PM

299 posts, read 903,493 times

Advertisements

If you are currently getting paid any type of unemployment benefits, please read this post. I'm not sure what the laws are in other states, but I will base my argument on Colorado laws.

I live in Colorado, and was laid off from my job in February of 2009. In the months that followed, I was able to find a couple of temporary jobs that paid me a little more than what I was making off of unemployment. I was laid off from both temporary jobs, and had no problem re-opening my unemployment claim.

I exhausted all 26 weeks of my original claim in January, and was approved for tier I of EUC. My original claim was set to expire at the end of this February, but I figured since I was approved for tier I, I was good to go.

In the first week of March, I got a letter in the mail saying that my EUC claim had been disallowed beyond the date that my original claim had expired becaise I had "Sufficient wages between Feb. 2009 and Feb. 2010," which meant that I was eligible to file a new claim. I made a few phone calls and figured out what I had did wrong:

In order to be eligible for a new claim, you have to have made $2,000 or more in the previous 12 months. Between the two temporary jobs, I made about $8,000. This is why my EUC claim was disallowed beyond the expiration date of the original claim (I was still paid EUC money for the weeks between my original claim running out of money and the date my claim expired).

On my original claim, I was getting paid $275 every week. When I filed the new claim, I was only eligible to be paid $150 every week.

Had I not accepted the temporary jobs, I would have been able to collect full UI and EUC benefits until the end of this July. I hope that everyone who reads this will learn a lesson from me and not take a job unless it is a PERMANENT one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 02:40 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,655,605 times
Yea this is a well known fact around here, Many people here have been hit with this. I would say any W2 Temp job you should avoid in the first year of Unemployment. Once your into the second year I dont think I would worry about it so much. I also think you would be safe taking a 1099 temp job in the first year as it doesn't count towards UI claims.

Old 05-11-2010, 03:06 PM

723 posts, read 2,193,234 times
I hear you OP, and it's really a freaking joke. I took a part time job without reading the rules and the amount I get from UE is about 2/3's and i'm ineligble for the FAC(sp?) payment every week. Thankfully here you must have accumulated 680 hours of work before you are eligble for a new claim, so i'm well below that limit. I almost missed going to the next teir by ONE week, if I had started my job a week earlier.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:18 PM

4,894 posts, read 14,137,294 times
What if you take a new job, W2, and then you decide you hate it & quit. Are you still eligible for unemployment at the rate of the old job (that you are laid off from?)

I have an interview on Thursday, it's 2.00 less per hour than I was making. It's in the same field as I was working in but (pre interview) I'm not sure that I should take it or not.

I was laid off the beginning of April (five years on the same job), still waiting to get my first unemployment check, but just filed my first two claim weeks last week, 5/4/10. I will be getting 275/week on unemployment. Old job paid $14.50/hour, new one is 12.50.

I'm just really confused by the whole joblessness thing. I don't know if it's better to hold out & wait for something that pays more, go back to school (possibly nursing), finish my book (writing) and/or enjoy the summer off just due to the whole economy.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:46 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,012,671 times
I got burnt by leaving a per diem job while receiving UI benefits. Be sure you read your respective state's procedures about "acceptable reasons for leaving". Unfortunately for me, being a "bad fit" for the job just wasn't a good enough reason. Now I'm disqualified for UI.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:02 PM

723 posts, read 2,193,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
What if you take a new job, W2, and then you decide you hate it & quit. Are you still eligible for unemployment at the rate of the old job (that you are laid off from?)
you have to consider your options. Understand that, unless your firm goes under due to acts of god (or you are laid off, or some other factor out of your control), you will disqualify yourself if you leave once you start work, like the poster above me. Atleast this is how it is in my state, and I expect it to be similar for others.

2 dollar reduction isn't that bad. As long as it has comparable hours to your previous job, you could take it, or you can wait it out for your first 2X weeks and hope to find a job afterwards. Just read around these boards to get a sense of how easy it is to almost fall off the edge before congress decides to do something tangible.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:22 PM

874 posts, read 728,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyanks57 View Post
If you are currently getting paid any type of unemployment benefits, please read this post. I'm not sure what the laws are in other states, but I will base my argument on Colorado laws.

I live in Colorado, and was laid off from my job in February of 2009. In the months that followed, I was able to find a couple of temporary jobs that paid me a little more than what I was making off of unemployment. I was laid off from both temporary jobs, and had no problem re-opening my unemployment claim.

I exhausted all 26 weeks of my original claim in January, and was approved for tier I of EUC. My original claim was set to expire at the end of this February, but I figured since I was approved for tier I, I was good to go.

In the first week of March, I got a letter in the mail saying that my EUC claim had been disallowed beyond the date that my original claim had expired becaise I had "Sufficient wages between Feb. 2009 and Feb. 2010," which meant that I was eligible to file a new claim. I made a few phone calls and figured out what I had did wrong:

In order to be eligible for a new claim, you have to have made $2,000 or more in the previous 12 months. Between the two temporary jobs, I made about $8,000. This is why my EUC claim was disallowed beyond the expiration date of the original claim (I was still paid EUC money for the weeks between my original claim running out of money and the date my claim expired).

On my original claim, I was getting paid $275 every week. When I filed the new claim, I was only eligible to be paid $150 every week.

Had I not accepted the temporary jobs, I would have been able to collect full UI and EUC benefits until the end of this July. I hope that everyone who reads this will learn a lesson from me and not take a job unless it is a PERMANENT one.

You took a temporary job, helped raised the hiring statistics, and now your more hungry because of it.

you helped the politicians, and now they claimed the economy is getting better, but its not.

your what they call a pawn in the game.

its sad, that american poltics plays with the lives of regular Americans. they get to go on vacation while you starve.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:15 AM

853 posts, read 4,036,508 times
My unemployment went down aprox. $80 a month as I was in the same situation you are finding yourself in now.

I don't know if it's the same in all states (I live in Mass.), however, I found out last week that once I go into an extension (now), I go back to where I left off of my old claim (8th week of tier one), so my checks will go back to the higher amount. The person explained that I have to use any federal money in my old claim first.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:58 AM

5,346 posts, read 4,046,187 times
Tell the banks to not live off government handouts. Our taxes pay for UI.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:12 AM

19 posts, read 60,742 times
Can anyone tell me if this is also the case in NJ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment