Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 07:29 PM

392 posts, read 705,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckDriver33 View Post
Tier 5 is not dead. They know that over 600,000 census workers will be laid off before the end of September. There are 15 million people out of work according to the US Dept. of Statistics. There are not 15 million jobs available and will never be.

Disappointing jobs report sends stocks sliding - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Disappointing-jobs-report-apf-1660110934.html?x=0 - broken link)
It's a pipe dream.

There won't be a Tier V, especially after the new Republican senators take office. It's time to forget about it and prepare NOW if you are still collecting. Think about strategically defaulting on unsecured debt and create a rainy-day fund if you haven't already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 07:39 PM

640 posts, read 1,990,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharecropper View Post
Seriously folks.. forget about a tier V. If it even does happen, it won't be until next year, and by then we'll all have been off UI for months. If anything comes of out of this meeting, it'll be a jobs creation program, not another tier.

It's time to stop depending on the government and start getting entrepreneurial. Hopefully you've been able to save some of the UI by working under the table and not paying your mortgage to start a business.
I'm getting the strong impression that some readers of this thread are lurkers who are waiting for "someone else" to do any actual work to make a change. It's not that hard to take action. One paragraph will do, if that's all you can write.

Kudos to jes3300 and ReturningWest for posting they have sent letters! I'm hoping to get mine sent tomorrow or Sunday.

Even if this is futile, which I don't think it is, WE CAN ENLIGHTEN THE GOVERNMENT TO OUR INDIVIDUAL PLIGHTS, MANY OF WHICH ARE HEARTWRENCHING. We cannot give up hope.

DO NOT assume that "someone else" will pull you up out of the mire. TAKE ACTION. It feels great to do so!

Please take this seriously and write your statement of your individual struggle during unemployment. If you are too shy to write a letter of your own, or feel your grammar will not be good enough to be read by Congress, contact someone here that you think you can trust and ask them to include your story in their letter.

We're all here to help and support each other in this forum, aren't we?

Don't give up because of a couple of "negative Nellies" say to. Don't give up ANY of your chances to make a difference and help yourself or your families get out of the mess you are in because of unemployment that has occurred through no fault of your own. Once you write that first letter, the rest will be so easy to write.

I have, so far, a 2 page letter, which focuses mainly on the plight of older Americans and families. My story isn't nearly as unfortunate (yet) as many others.

FYI: May 2010 unemployment rate: 9.7%. July 2008 unemployment rate (when the EUC Act took effect): 5.8%. Those are important numbers you may want to include in your statement.

SAVE YOUR LETTER! After sending it to the HW & MC, fax it to Congress and the President and, if so inclined, to the media. The media loves hard-luck stories, we all know that!

I've posted my original notice in several places and it is getting a good amount of attention and action. But thousands and thousands of statements (even if it's one paragraph) will make a difference compared to hundreds.

Please be one of the "thousands to fight for your life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness."

Remember, post here once you send your letter, so others may be motivated to do the same. In other forums, some posters are posting their letters, to help those who may be having trouble getting their ideas and words together.

FYI to all: I'm not political AT ALL. I hate politics and knew and cared nothing about it. But I have my life and future to think of, and I have to fight for it now, I can't depend upon anyone but myself. That's why I posted this, hoping all of us send those letters fighting for our lives and futures.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:50 PM

870 posts, read 1,406,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane0218 View Post
I'm getting the strong impression that some readers of this thread are lurkers who are waiting for "someone else" to do any actual work to make a change. It's not that hard to take action. One paragraph will do, if that's all you can write.

Kudos to jes3300 and ReturningWest for posting they have sent letters! I'm hoping to get mine sent tomorrow or Sunday.

Even if this is futile, which I don't think it is, WE CAN ENLIGHTEN THE GOVERNMENT TO OUR INDIVIDUAL PLIGHTS, MANY OF WHICH ARE HEARTWRENCHING. We cannot give up hope.

DO NOT assume that "someone else" will pull you up out of the mire. TAKE ACTION. It feels great to do so!

Please take this seriously and write your statement of your individual struggle during unemployment. If you are too shy to write a letter of your own, or feel your grammar will not be good enough to be read by Congress, contact someone here that you think you can trust and ask them to include your story in their letter.

We're all here to help and support each other in this forum, aren't we?

Don't give up because of a couple of "negative Nellies" say to. Don't give up ANY of your chances to make a difference and help yourself or your families get out of the mess you are in because of unemployment that has occurred through no fault of your own. Once you write that first letter, the rest will be so easy to write.

I have, so far, a 2 page letter, which focuses mainly on the plight of older Americans and families. My story isn't nearly as unfortunate (yet) as many others.

FYI: May 2010 unemployment rate: 9.7%. July 2008 unemployment rate (when the EUC Act took effect): 5.8%. Those are important numbers you may want to include in your statement.

SAVE YOUR LETTER! After sending it to the HW & MC, fax it to Congress and the President and, if so inclined, to the media. The media loves hard-luck stories, we all know that!

I've posted my original notice in several places and it is getting a good amount of attention and action. But thousands and thousands of statements (even if it's one paragraph) will make a difference compared to hundreds.

Please be one of the "thousands to fight for your life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness."

Remember, post here once you send your letter, so others may be motivated to do the same. In other forums, some posters are posting their letters, to help those who may be having trouble getting their ideas and words together.

FYI to all: I'm not political AT ALL. I hate politics and knew and cared nothing about it. But I have my life and future to think of, and I have to fight for it now, I can't depend upon anyone but myself. That's why I posted this, hoping all of us send those letters fighting for our lives and futures.

Jane, don't feel that that one individual is indicative of the rest. There are 'trolls' that look to discourage and deflate. Just ignore the few and continue with those that CARE. We shall mail and fax. Let's do it folks, we need UNITY!!

Old 06-04-2010, 10:02 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,861,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane0218 View Post
FYI to all: I'm not political AT ALL. I hate politics and knew and cared nothing about it.
Unfortunately, that's part of the problem - most don't until it hits home and sometimes by then it's too little, too late.

It behoves all citizens to be politically aware before they come like thieves in the night to rob you of your rights.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:49 PM

285 posts, read 562,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Man View Post
Jane, don't feel that that one individual is indicative of the rest. There are 'trolls' that look to discourage and deflate. Just ignore the few and continue with those that CARE. We shall mail and fax. Let's do it folks, we need UNITY!!

This has nothing to do with trolling. It's time to start looking at it realistically. They have made it plain what there intentions are. We have been shoved under the bus. They don't care. It's no skin off of there butts. It's time to look in a new direction. Our government has let us down. They could care less if any of us starved to death or had to live in a ditch. So the best, smartest thing to do is quit beating a dead horse. Help yourself. Do what you have to. To hell with them. Take something that you know how to do and turn it into something that makes money. We have been forgotten and thrown to the wayside. It's survival of the fittest. If you sit and wait on our government to help, Your going to be sitting a long time.

They have proven that. I know this isn't what some want to hear. But it's just the truth. They have been saying that unemployment extensions need to be passed, stay in effect till the end of 2010. This is June. That means if it ever does get passed or passed this month, They have already wasted 6 months. Come December or January it will be to do all over again. More bickering, more stalling. Forget it. Find a way to help yourself.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:05 PM

4 posts, read 8,153 times
Please visit this site, they have good information on tierV.
Tier 5 Unemployment Extension Needed!!!!! - Topic: please read this.......very important

Old 06-05-2010, 06:22 PM

600 posts, read 1,075,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAID OFF & WORRIED N GA View Post
This has nothing to do with trolling. It's time to start looking at it realistically. They have made it plain what there intentions are. We have been shoved under the bus. They don't care. It's no skin off of there butts. It's time to look in a new direction. Our government has let us down. They could care less if any of us starved to death or had to live in a ditch. So the best, smartest thing to do is quit beating a dead horse. Help yourself. Do what you have to. To hell with them. Take something that you know how to do and turn it into something that makes money. We have been forgotten and thrown to the wayside. It's survival of the fittest. If you sit and wait on our government to help, Your going to be sitting a long time.

They have proven that. I know this isn't what some want to hear. But it's just the truth. They have been saying that unemployment extensions need to be passed, stay in effect till the end of 2010. This is June. That means if it ever does get passed or passed this month, They have already wasted 6 months. Come December or January it will be to do all over again. More bickering, more stalling. Forget it. Find a way to help yourself.
If they've given up, why is there still discussion? Why are they still voting on 4213? Why are they meeting on the 10th to discuss long term? Why did Obama mention long term unemployed in his speech?

I think if they had given up, these topics wouldn't be up for discussion.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,405 times
tier 5 plz i have been out of ui since april helpppppppppppppp

Old 06-05-2010, 07:25 PM

613 posts, read 962,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrox311 View Post
If they've given up, why is there still discussion? Why are they still voting on 4213? Why are they meeting on the 10th to discuss long term? Why did Obama mention long term unemployed in his speech?

You can give up if you want to. There is way too much attention on Tier 5 now to say there is no discussion about it. And with Wall Street taking a dump on Friday and dropping below 10,000 because of the May 10' unemployment numbers, Congress will have to pay attention especially those up for reelection. So you can stop calling, faxing, etc. Just make sure that when a Tier 5 is passed that your not at the front of the line with your hand out.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:56 PM

285 posts, read 562,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrox311 View Post

OK, If i have misunderstood something, Someone set me straight. As far as i know, at this point, HR4213 has nothing to do with the long term unemployed? There is no provision, At this point, For adding weeks to existing tiers or adding a tier. On June the tenth all they're going to do is talk about the long term unemployed and what they can do for them. So far no mention of adding another tier or weeks to existing tiers. Obama mentioning the long term unemployed is really at this point no more than you saying you have to go pee. The way it looks to me they are not interested in adding tiers or weeks to existing tiers. Sounds to me like what they have in mind is something like job training or something along that line. Get you in school and teach you something new. I may be wrong. But at this point that's the way i understand it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment