Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 08:00 PM

149 posts, read 345,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditrybroke View Post
tier 5 plz i have been out of ui since april helpppppppppppppp

Same here... Keep on trucking... Take on 2 part time jobs if you can.

Craigslist is not that bad... but beware of the scammers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 09:34 PM

600 posts, read 1,075,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckDriver33 View Post
You can give up if you want to. There is way too much attention on Tier 5 now to say there is no discussion about it. And with Wall Street taking a dump on Friday and dropping below 10,000 because of the May 10' unemployment numbers, Congress will have to pay attention especially those up for reelection. So you can stop calling, faxing, etc. Just make sure that when a Tier 5 is passed that your not at the front of the line with your hand out.
You're responding to the wrong person. I'm not giving up. I'm wondering why others are.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:54 PM

613 posts, read 961,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrox311 View Post
You're responding to the wrong person. I'm not giving up. I'm wondering why others are.
Sorry missed that. Thanks for keepin the faith.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:27 PM

870 posts, read 1,405,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckDriver33 View Post
You can give up if you want to. There is way too much attention on Tier 5 now to say there is no discussion about it. And with Wall Street taking a dump on Friday and dropping below 10,000 because of the May 10' unemployment numbers, Congress will have to pay attention especially those up for reelection. So you can stop calling, faxing, etc. Just make sure that when a Tier 5 is passed that your not at the front of the line with your hand out.

WELL referenced and well said!

Old 06-06-2010, 12:35 PM

870 posts, read 1,405,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAID OFF & WORRIED N GA View Post
OK, If i have misunderstood something, Someone set me straight. As far as i know, at this point, HR4213 has nothing to do with the long term unemployed? There is no provision, At this point, For adding weeks to existing tiers or adding a tier. On June the tenth all they're going to do is talk about the long term unemployed and what they can do for them. So far no mention of adding another tier or weeks to existing tiers. Obama mentioning the long term unemployed is really at this point no more than you saying you have to go pee. The way it looks to me they are not interested in adding tiers or weeks to existing tiers. Sounds to me like what they have in mind is something like job training or something along that line. Get you in school and teach you something new. I may be wrong. But at this point that's the way i understand it.

It's ALSO indicative that they are feeling the PRESSURE. The point is that it isn't an IRRELEVANT topic and the last thing THEY want is to even pronounce the words LONG TERM UNEMPLOYED, and if they (Congress) are voicing it it isn't because they WANT to but because they HAVE to. What we are saying is that they CAN'T ignore it and it's in their face. They'd LIKE to but can't. We MUST keep it in their FACE, now more than ever.

Last edited by South Jersey Man; 06-06-2010 at 12:58 PM..

Old 06-06-2010, 01:03 PM

640 posts, read 1,989,239 times
I have sent in my letter. I believe that is three people who have posted they have sent letters.

FYI: On another forum where I've posted this, about 10 letters were sent within the first 24 hours I posted the OP. I'm sure there's more now (haven't visited there since Friday--been working on my letter).

FYI: This hearing was originally scheduled for July, as indicated by an AP article at the end of May, after Congress recessed. It was moved up to June 10th on June 3rd.

Last edited by Jane0218; 06-06-2010 at 01:26 PM..

Old 06-06-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharecropper View Post
Not sure where you're coming from, but it sounds like you are waiting for someone else (the Government) to do something.

What I'm saying is that it's over. It's been 2 years. Write all you want, but if you think the government is on the side of the peasants, you are wasting your energy writing to politicians who will probably be ousted in November.

The Truth is only a "negative nelly" when it conflicts with your cherished delusions.

I say spend your energy on preparation and not pleas.
Prepare for what? Homelessness? I have been preparing for that. I've also been sending letters to Congress.
It is not a waste of energy to fight for what I believe in. That's what created this country. I may not win, but I will be able to look back and not regret not trying.

I take offense at your calling my hope for an extension and possible a Tier 5 "cherished delusions." I am not delusional; am hopeful--big difference. Also, you do not know what the Truth ultimately will be, no one here does. Unless you are a politician with inside info???
Please place your anger towards yourself, not at me or at others. You do not need to read this thread or post what you think about it. Please leave.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Unfortunately, that's part of the problem - most don't until it hits home and sometimes by then it's too little, too late.

It behoves all citizens to be politically aware before they come like thieves in the night to rob you of your rights.
I understand what you are saying. But there is a flip-side to this coin. Just as some people are wired to love math or climbing mountains or watching documentaries or watching light-fare TV, so are others wired to not be intereseted in those things.

I was one of those people born wired with no interest in politics. Nil. Nada. And there has been nothing I can do to become interested--I have tried often, but there is no pull there for me. I'm one of those who becomes active when it affects me directly, and that's a shame, I know it is.

My letter sent today was focused on older unemployed Americans, families, and exhaustees of all benefits (99ers). I did not write about myself because I felt the above groups need more help than I do right now. I believe in people, and that's how I'm wired, and that's who I'm trying to help.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAID OFF & WORRIED N GA View Post
Find a way to help yourself.
Please advise how you have found a way to help yourself. You may help others. And you may get others to send in letters to the House Ways & Means Committee.

Some people have no other resources left. Bank robbing, maybe? There's been an increase in my area over the last 2 months, and I live in a safe, low-populated area. Is that what you mean by finding a way to help myself?

If you have given up, stop reading the threads.

If you've sent a letter, post that here.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySue1959 View Post
Same here... Keep on trucking... Take on 2 part time jobs if you can.

Craigslist is not that bad... but beware of the scammers.

How can someone take 2 part-time jobs when they cannot find even 1 part-time job? Lots of people over 45 are being discriminated against and can't find even part-time jobs.

Please keep on topic...did you send a letter? If not, please do not post here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment