Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 05:51 PM

640 posts, read 1,987,714 times

Advertisements

PLEASE READ THE ENTIRETY OF THE LINK BELOW AND THEN, USING THE INSTRUCTIONS, SEND THE HOUSE WAYS AND MEANS COMMITTEE YOUR PERSONAL STORY OF YOUR STRUGGLE AS A LONG-TERM UNEMPLOYED AMERICAN! WHETHER YOU HAVE EXHAUSTED ALL YOUR BENEFITS OR NOT--DO THIS! THIS IS IMPORTANT!! LET'S DO THIS!

Advisories :: Chairman McDermott Announces Hearing on Responding to Long-Term Unemployment (http://waysandmeans.house.gov/press/PRArticle.aspx?NewsID=11200 - broken link)

According to the site: "Congressman Jim McDermott (D-WA), Chairman of the Subcommittee on Income Security and Family Support of the Committee on Ways and Means, today announced that the Subcommittee will hold a hearing on possible policy responses to long-term unemployment. In view of the limited time available to hear witnesses, oral testimony at this hearing will be from invited witnesses only. However, any individual or organization not scheduled to appear may submit a written statement for consideration by the Subcommittee and for inclusion in the record of the hearing."

Remember, it seems that if Congress is going to go for a Tier V, they will have to first extend current EUC tiers to EOY or November before Tier V comes into consideration. Remember that to include both in your statement in order to cover all bases.

ONCE DONE, POST HERE THAT YOU HAVE SENT SOMETHING. THIS WILL MOTIVATE OTHERS TO DO THE SAME.

Post on twitter, facebook, etc. if you can. I don't have a presence on those sites.

I'll be working on my letter over the next two days and will post as soon as mine gets sent.

Advisories :: Chairman McDermott Announces Hearing on Responding to Long-Term Unemployment (http://waysandmeans.house.gov/press/PRArticle.aspx?NewsID=11200 - broken link)

We have until June 24th to submit comments/statements.

You have to submit your story on a Word or WordPerfect document and follow the "DETAILS FOR SUBMISSION OF WRITTEN COMMENTS"

You can also send in comments for those people who don't have access to computers, if they give your permission. Groups and organizations may send in statements as well.

Again, ONCE DONE, POST HERE THAT YOU HAVE SENT SOMETHING. THIS WILL MOTIVATE OTHERS TO DO THE SAME.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 09:45 AM

I know people are reading this thread, but no comments???

I've got two pages so far on my statement to the HW & MC. I'm focusing on the human element in all of this, with the statistics just published to back up why we need an extension and an additional Tier.

I will post pieces of my letter when it is done and sent, if anyone is interested...

Old 06-04-2010, 09:48 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,419,813 times
This will do nothing. Our government is oblivious. This will change nothing.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
This will do nothing. Our government is oblivious. This will change nothing.
It was shortly after their last unemployment related meeting that 4213 was sent over to the House. I don't see that as not changing anything.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:51 AM

4 posts, read 6,493 times
I posted my message and thank you

Old 06-04-2010, 01:31 PM

269 posts, read 710,920 times
"If we can afford wars, tax cuts, and bank bailouts, then we can certainly afford to maintain programs for workers who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own. "
The first logical thing I've heard from DC in years!

Old 06-04-2010, 01:42 PM

392 posts, read 704,457 times
Seriously folks.. forget about a tier V. If it even does happen, it won't be until next year, and by then we'll all have been off UI for months. If anything comes of out of this meeting, it'll be a jobs creation program, not another tier.

It's time to stop depending on the government and start getting entrepreneurial. Hopefully you've been able to save some of the UI by working under the table and not paying your mortgage to start a business.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:27 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,368,508 times
I already sent McDermott my letter

Old 06-04-2010, 04:25 PM

613 posts, read 960,947 times
Tier 5 is not dead. They know that over 600,000 census workers will be laid off before the end of September. There are 15 million people out of work according to the US Dept. of Statistics. There are not 15 million jobs available and will never be.

Disappointing jobs report sends stocks sliding - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Disappointing-jobs-report-apf-1660110934.html?x=0 - broken link)

Old 06-04-2010, 05:27 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,524,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckDriver33 View Post
Tier 5 is not dead. They know that over 600,000 census workers will be laid off before the end of September. There are 15 million people out of work according to the US Dept. of Statistics. There are not 15 million jobs available and will never be.

Disappointing jobs report sends stocks sliding - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Disappointing-jobs-report-apf-1660110934.html?x=0 - broken link)
September???? Holy moly, that really is not going to help those who ran out in April!! The damage is done, September, wow. Thats a lifetime for many. Thats definately too late. This is really sad, maybe we should all work on some government grant bogus writing. Lets all open a non profit group called Haiti/ overweight kids who would like to lose weight saving wild horses or build houses in Haiti commission!!! We will merge a few of those grants together and get a good paycheck!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment