Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 02:08 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times

Advertisements

I am curious to know about how much and what sort of mysticism is allowed in traditional religions.

Eastern religions seem to be full of spiritual teachings that are consistent with mysticism in general, and have some sects that are more deeply into practice and practical application.

Judaism has Kaballistic study.

Native Americans, maybe not considered mainstream, are rich in supernatural lore.

Catholics have the mass, which I have been told is a magical working, and there is a big tradition of praying for miracles, though they are light on method, I think.

I don't know much about Muslims, but they have Sufis who are the mystical segment.

Fundamental Christianity, though - I don't know, there are many who believe all that is mystical is the work of demons. It is the religion of my youth and seemed so darned limited and negative. I could never understand why they condemned witches while their own savior performed magic. It seemed to me that they were trying to stifle the
competition.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 02:18 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,672,460 times
Great topic!

If you dig deep into Christianity, you will find some mysticism.
But I think that most of Christianity is a wool blanket for the masses.
The story of Jesus and the Rod and the Ring is one example. People think the ring is like that which is put on a finger, however, the ring is supposedly a sound emitted by the rod.
Maybe Jesus had the worlds first tuning fork, who knows.
But take that idea and consider the use of singing bowls and how they are to align our chakra vibrations.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:22 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
I posted this in another thread but it is pretty applicable to what you are asking about.

I recently received a letter from a Christian lady whose friend is enamored with "orbs." She asked for my opinion. Here is my response...
Hi *****,

Thank you for your e-mail. Satan deceives many people with psychics, spirits, enchanters, astrology, orbs, ghosts, necromancy (talking to the dead), et cetera. The simple Biblical answer to all of this is that there are only two sources of spiritual power: God and Satan.

Any spirit that is not the Holy Spirit is a "familiar spirit." Witchcraft can be Biblically defined as "Seeking guidance, information or power from any spiritual source other the God." Hebrews 1:1,2 tell us that God speaks to us today through "His Son," i.e., the Word of God (John 1:1-13,14; Revelation 19:13). So many people are searching for spiritual meaning everywhere but in the Bible. Jesus said in John 5:39... SEARCH THE SCRIPTURES!

Orbs are simply a scientific anomaly, and do not have any spiritual significance. There is nothing in the Scriptures that would indicate being able to communicate with the dead, or that they can communicate with us. In Luke 16:28, we find the rich man burning in Hell, desperately wanting to contact his 5 brothers, but he couldn't. Jesus never called this account a parable, and He used literal names (i.e., Lazarus, Abraham). The dead are either in Heaven or Hell, and there's nothing in the Bible leading us to believe that we can communicate with them. Orbs are not spirits that have chosen to stay behind. Such a decision is not ours to make. If we die in our sins, we go to Hellfire (2nd Thessalonians 1:8,9). If we die in the Lord, then we go to Heaven (2nd Corinthians 5:8; Revelation 14:13). Once we die physically, our eternal destiny is irreversible.

Romans 1:20 states, "For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse." There are elements of the spiritual world that are manifest by the physical world. We can clearly see the goodness of God, and His omnipotence by His creation. Psalm 19:1 also evidences this truth. We can also see the hand of Satan at work today in the sinful world (2nd Corinthians 11:13-15). We read about the "power of Satan" in Acts 26:18, and his ability to blind people from the truth in 2nd Corinthians 4:4.

It is a dangerous thing to tamper with Ouija boards, astrology, séances, orbs, palm reading, psychics, ghost hunting, necromancy, astral projection, and other demonic practices. These all open the door to Satanic influence in one's life. The Word of God stands diametrically opposed to such evils. Our strength as believers comes from the Word of God and the Holy Spirit living within our body. The unsaved world, and backslidden believers, invoke demons when they dabble with orbs and other such evils. We ought not seek entertainment and enlightenment from demonic sources. Anything that is of a spiritual nature, which ignores the Word of God, is demonic. Thus, Yin-Yang is demonic. Yoga is demonic. Spiritism is demonic.

1st John 4:4 is a comforting verse to every believer... "Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world." I wish people would stop being infatuated with the foolishness of orbs, haunted houses, and UFOs and instead become interested in the Bible. God has given us thousands of precious promises to claim in His Word.

Your friend is into demonism and witchcraft, and it would be wise for you to share some Scriptures with her (2nd Corinthians 4:4; 11:13-15).

Hope that helps a bit...

Kindest regards,

Dave

What Does the Bible Say About Ar

Old 04-22-2012, 04:13 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,925,490 times
If you study some conspiracy theories, you will learn that "the elite" give the common people the basic religions and save the truly mystical for themselves. Supposedly the Catholic Church has symbolism of the Pineal Gland (in the form of a green pinecone, etc.) which someone on the radio said is kind of a taunting (i.e., "We have the secret knowledge, but you will never know) . . .

Old 04-22-2012, 04:20 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,925,490 times

Opening The Third Eye part 1 of 9 - YouTube

Old 04-23-2012, 01:21 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,672,460 times
That Christian woman's letter failed to mention, or rather improperly included astrology in her list.
There are many passages and quotes in the bible that reference (not refer) astrology. And it is all coming from the god side, never the dark side.
I don't have my bible handy or I would share those passages. (yes, this pagan has a bible)
Much is found in Genesis, and Jesus speaks of Aquarius.
What he is referring to is the Age of Aquarius.
If you look at the procession of ages in astrology, they match up with the significant periods in the Bible.
It fairly common knowledge from the song in the 60's that we are at the 'dawning of the age of Aquarius', processions go 'backwards' in the zodiac, so if we are in The Age of Aquarius, then the previous age is Pisces. Interesting that a symbol for Jesus is a fish. If you take that fish symbol and turn it up on its tail, you get the tail portion of the symbol for Virgo, the virgin. Sounding familiar?
After Pisces, or rather before, is Aries, then Taurus. Think about the story of Moses. While he was up on the mountain, his people made statues of a Bull and got in trouble. The Jews had a tradition, the blowing Ram's horn.
From the Age of Taurus we go back to the Age of Gemini, the Twins which correlates with Adam and Eve.
If one looks at the bible from a symbolic standpoint, with a knowledge of universal symbolism, it is an interesting read.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I posted this in another thread but it is pretty applicable to what you are asking about.

I recently received a letter from a Christian lady whose friend is enamored with "orbs." She asked for my opinion. Here is my response...
Hi *****,

Thank you for your e-mail. Satan deceives many people with psychics, spirits, enchanters, astrology, orbs, ghosts, necromancy (talking to the dead), et cetera. The simple Biblical answer to all of this is that there are only two sources of spiritual power: God and Satan.

Any spirit that is not the Holy Spirit is a "familiar spirit." Witchcraft can be Biblically defined as "Seeking guidance, information or power from any spiritual source other the God." Hebrews 1:1,2 tell us that God speaks to us today through "His Son," i.e., the Word of God (John 1:1-13,14; Revelation 19:13). So many people are searching for spiritual meaning everywhere but in the Bible. Jesus said in John 5:39... SEARCH THE SCRIPTURES!

Orbs are simply a scientific anomaly, and do not have any spiritual significance. There is nothing in the Scriptures that would indicate being able to communicate with the dead, or that they can communicate with us. In Luke 16:28, we find the rich man burning in Hell, desperately wanting to contact his 5 brothers, but he couldn't. Jesus never called this account a parable, and He used literal names (i.e., Lazarus, Abraham). The dead are either in Heaven or Hell, and there's nothing in the Bible leading us to believe that we can communicate with them. Orbs are not spirits that have chosen to stay behind. Such a decision is not ours to make. If we die in our sins, we go to Hellfire (2nd Thessalonians 1:8,9). If we die in the Lord, then we go to Heaven (2nd Corinthians 5:8; Revelation 14:13). Once we die physically, our eternal destiny is irreversible.

Romans 1:20 states, "For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse." There are elements of the spiritual world that are manifest by the physical world. We can clearly see the goodness of God, and His omnipotence by His creation. Psalm 19:1 also evidences this truth. We can also see the hand of Satan at work today in the sinful world (2nd Corinthians 11:13-15). We read about the "power of Satan" in Acts 26:18, and his ability to blind people from the truth in 2nd Corinthians 4:4.

It is a dangerous thing to tamper with Ouija boards, astrology, séances, orbs, palm reading, psychics, ghost hunting, necromancy, astral projection, and other demonic practices. These all open the door to Satanic influence in one's life. The Word of God stands diametrically opposed to such evils. Our strength as believers comes from the Word of God and the Holy Spirit living within our body. The unsaved world, and backslidden believers, invoke demons when they dabble with orbs and other such evils. We ought not seek entertainment and enlightenment from demonic sources. Anything that is of a spiritual nature, which ignores the Word of God, is demonic. Thus, Yin-Yang is demonic. Yoga is demonic. Spiritism is demonic.

1st John 4:4 is a comforting verse to every believer... "Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world." I wish people would stop being infatuated with the foolishness of orbs, haunted houses, and UFOs and instead become interested in the Bible. God has given us thousands of precious promises to claim in His Word.

Your friend is into demonism and witchcraft, and it would be wise for you to share some Scriptures with her (2nd Corinthians 4:4; 11:13-15).

Hope that helps a bit...

Kindest regards,

Dave

What Does the Bible Say About Ar

Please note that this is NOT a forum for prosthelytizing or for bashing members who hold worldviews that differ from yours.

All participants in this forum are expected to be respectful of others' views and opinions, and posts that do not follow these guidelines will be dealt with in accordance with City-Data's
Terms of Service.

I don't see people interested in metaphysics or even athiests over at the Christian board, you are allowed to talk to each other to your heart's content. I really wish you would not come over here and preach to us. If you have a helpful contribution or observation, it's one thing, but just throwing bible verses around is really annoying. Most people in this country have been exposed to your brand of Christianity. It's not as though you're telling us anything new.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 04-27-2012 at 01:24 PM..

Old 04-27-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
If you study some conspiracy theories, you will learn that "the elite" give the common people the basic religions and save the truly mystical for themselves. Supposedly the Catholic Church has symbolism of the Pineal Gland (in the form of a green pinecone, etc.) which someone on the radio said is kind of a taunting (i.e., "We have the secret knowledge, but you will never know) . . .
Might not putting ashes on the forehead on Ash Wednesday be an attempt, early in the religion, to open the third eye?

Old 04-27-2012, 09:00 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,223,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Please note that this is NOT a forum for prosthelytizing or for bashing members who hold worldviews that differ from yours.

All participants in this forum are expected to be respectful of others' views and opinions, and posts that do not follow these guidelines will be dealt with in accordance with City-Data's
Terms of Service.

I don't see people interested in metaphysics or even athiests over at the Christian board, you are allowed to talk to each other to your heart's content. I really wish you would not come over here and preach to us. If you have a helpful contribution or observation, it's one thing, but just throwing bible verses around is really annoying. Most people in this country have been exposed to your brand of Christianity. It's not as though you're telling us anything new.

I'll second that!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 04-27-2012 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 04-27-2012, 10:30 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,086,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I am curious to know about how much and what sort of mysticism is allowed in traditional religions.

Eastern religions seem to be full of spiritual teachings that are consistent with mysticism in general, and have some sects that are more deeply into practice and practical application.

Judaism has Kaballistic study.

Native Americans, maybe not considered mainstream, are rich in supernatural lore.

Catholics have the mass, which I have been told is a magical working, and there is a big tradition of praying for miracles, though they are light on method, I think.

I don't know much about Muslims, but they have Sufis who are the mystical segment.

Fundamental Christianity, though - I don't know, there are many who believe all that is mystical is the work of demons. It is the religion of my youth and seemed so darned limited and negative. I could never understand why they condemned witches while their own savior performed magic. It seemed to me that they were trying to stifle the
competition.

Any thoughts?
as a catholic catechist--we are encouraged to not delve into the metaphysical----but questions related do come up and i answer my students as best as i can within the realms of my church
this is not easy as i am someone that is the grandaughter of a practicing herbalist(called incorrectly a "white witch"in her village)
am friends a long time with those that are wiccans, pagans,agnostics,etc---and all have enhanced my spirituality----plus in my church dealings i cannot talk about my paranormal experiences----so tis' not easy being a catholic,christian and interested in the metaphysical at the same time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal