Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 05:34 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

I wonder how common this fear is...when I was a kid, I'd used to have fear of inanimate objects in the form of animals or people coming to life. For instance, we had a statute of a girl on the piano that looked like what you see in those old cemeteries, and I remember being afraid of even going down there in the dark at times! Also, we had some clown puppets that used to freak me out so much I'd hide them away in the cupboard lest they magically come alive. One time, we had these wooden ducks on the mantepiece and I literally tricked myself into believing I'd seen them move.

These fears would often arise after reading about say reports of moving statues or things like this.

On the subject, anyone familiar with Robert the Doll?

Robert The Doll

Some of the reports might be exaggerated, but the doll quite well have an 'evil energy' to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 08:57 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,224,257 times
Not dolls.

I can't remember which base we were stationed at in Germany but in the foyer of the Officer's Club there was a stuffed Kodiak bear. Front paws raised, claws extended and mouth fixed in a snarl as if waiting to attack.

It just felt angry. Under the circumstances, I would be too.

Daddy had to pick me up and carry me past it every time we went there. I was about 3 at the time. A few months later, fueled by a stiff Shirley Temple, I got my courage up and wandered out into the foyer and comforted the bear, telling it that I was sorry it had to stand there all the time.

I'm not sure if that was my first experience as an Empath but I was never afraid after that. It helped to set the foundation for my life-long disgust of trophy hunting though.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:24 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
When Pee Wee Herman was very popular with the kids..before the movie thing I bought one of the grandsons a Pee Wee Herman doll that talked when you pulled the string in back Don't remember what he said but it sounded eerily exactly like him and my grandson threw it across the floor and jumped in my lap..From then on he was afraid of any toy that "talked" He thought if they talked, they were alive and out to get him with the exception od Barney "Barney" who sang

One of the grand daughters had a TeleTubby who sounded like he was spewing out gutter talk..She thought it was hilarious, but we dismantled his voice box..But I guess it didn't traumatize her because she still just loves to relate her Tele Tubby story whenever we are sitting around laughing and enjoying reminiscing about when they were all still little.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:05 PM

13 posts, read 19,922 times
After hearing stories about the cabbage patch dolls coming to life back in the 80s and seeing the movie "Child's Play", I got rid of all my dolls as a kid. Actually my mother got rid of my dolls. I remember staring out the front window at one of my dolls sitting on top of our garbage can looking as if she was staring right back at me and her eyes turning red. I was thinking, I'm glad this evil doll is out of my life.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:27 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Default Not me.

My biggest fear was Halloween's Micheal Myers after seeing the original as a kid. Would eye the closet as the door was busted and did not close all the way and the yard in my apt complex for that soulless white face. i was not worried about my G.I. Joes coming to life, Or the he-man figures attacking me. I knew they wouldn't.

And knowing is half the battle!

Old 05-03-2012, 07:06 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
I think "Child's Play", "Poltergeist" and other 70-80's Hollywood horror is responsible for lots of complexes and irrational fears for those of us who grew up then, especially when it comes to possessed toys.

I remember being scared that "Slimer" from Ghostbusters was gonna blast down the hall at me; also the little goblin thing from "Cat's Eye" scared the crap out of me too.

But for me the worst "monster" was the alien from "Communion". My dad bought a copy of the book; I ripped the cover off the book and threw it away, it bothered me so bad. I was sure I was gonna see it peek around the corner in my room at night if I opened my eyes too.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:43 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
There was some scary tv show like Outer Limits or one of those old black and white thriller shows where a doll came alive. I was a child when I saw that and from that point on I was afraid of certain dolls to be out at night. I had this large doll called a Patty Play Pal. She was around 3 feet tall and during the day she was fine, but at night I was afraid of her and would put her in the closet and make sure the closet was shut all the way. As for clowns, they are scary period, I didn't have any clown toys.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:10 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Opened the link read the story and looked at the doll while lmao.

The CD tray hasn't stopped repetatively opening and closing...lol

Last edited by virgode; 05-04-2012 at 06:22 AM..

Old 05-04-2012, 07:53 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Opened the link read the story and looked at the doll while lmao.

The CD tray hasn't stopped repetatively opening and closing...lol
Robert did it!

Old 05-04-2012, 07:59 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,767,079 times
I might have been about 4 or 5.I would have nightmares about these dolls coming to life and..
Coming to my bed at night.They would repeat everything i said and mock me lol.
It must have been a nightmare that i had multiple times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal