Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 03:14 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,619,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The forest pulses with life and energy and spirits.
AND imagination
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 11:48 AM

96 posts, read 171,969 times
I have heard of people seeing the Saskwatch(?)-type creature out here in Oklahoma but I personally have never seen one. Lots of stuff in the woods, though, lots of stuff moving around out there...

Old 09-30-2012, 09:40 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
We were hiking the Appalachian trail in SE Pa with our dog one late autumn afternoon. We got to a certain point that had an open area that was used by the Boy scouts and walked a little beyond it a little higher spot on the side of the mountain. We've heard of ghost sightings near there and there was a serial murderer who lived nearby about 200 years ago. Anyway from on our right, ahead of us we heard a "Whump". I would say it sounded somehting like somebody dropping a heavy object on the ground, or maybe closing a car trunk. No cars up there, of course. Our dog got nervous and started to pull to go back and my brother and I both had an uneasy feeling so we turned and headed back down the trail. We heard some brush moving off to the side above us so we kept going at a fast walk, now more uneasy. We stooped and heard the same " Whump", this time AHEAD of us but still above us on the mountain. Not really close but not far either. Whatever it was it was paralleling us and moving faster than we were. We got to the fork in the trail and headed down the mountain looking over our shoulders the whole time.
What was it? I don't know. It could have been a deer making the noise in the brush but that heavy thudding whump sound has me puzzled. And I got the distinct impression it was following us and something made our dog uneasy.

Wow, Icy Tea. Your story made the goose pimples come out. It reminded me of one of those paranormal investigative shows I saw a few months ago (I forget the name, but Henry Winkler produces it), where they featured the story of a park ranger who had a similar experience while hiking in the Cascades. The creature, or whatever it was, followed him too. He barely made it back to his car.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:47 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
The idea of rarely (or never) seen creatures in remote places is interesting to me, much more so than the idea of ghosts or spirits. I guess it just seems more likely to me, even if I don't necessarily believe it. It's something I can imagine more easily. I love reading bigfoot encounters, even though I don't truly believe there's anything like that still out there. But I think it's possible, however slightly, and I guess that's what makes it fascinating/thrilling. Where I grew up in TN, there wasn't really any area of woods that hadn't been combed over by people, and regularly. There were no vast areas of wilderness or anything like that. There are much larger areas here in WA where people don't go very often, but people do still go there regularly enough. I can kind of see how maybe some rare critter might be able to live here while rarely being visible to people, but it still seems unlikely. Maybe more likely in some remote areas of Canada and Alaska. It's fun to think about it, if nothing else.

One last thing, when I was about ten years old my family and I were on vacation in the Appalachians, somewhere in North Carolina or Virginia. We were at an overlook taking pictures. At one point, my brother (who's younger than me) noticed a tree moving down the mountain from us. Not that strange, except it looked like a BIG tree and it was thrashing around like if a person was shaking a sapling. My dad had his binoculars and we looked and looked, but we couldn't see what was doing it. Naturally my young mind immediately thought "bigfoot!", but I'm guessing it was probably a bear scratching its back on the tree. The thing is, it must have been a big bear!

Old 10-22-2012, 11:59 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,619,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
The idea of rarely (or never) seen creatures in remote places is interesting to me, much more so than the idea of ghosts or spirits. I guess it just seems more likely to me, even if I don't necessarily believe it. It's something I can imagine more easily. I love reading bigfoot encounters, even though I don't truly believe there's anything like that still out there. But I think it's possible, however slightly, and I guess that's what makes it fascinating/thrilling. !
Yes, the possibility of "way out there" things being true is very thrilling to the humans, and thus their extreme popularity. I mean - if it's not fun then why perpetuate it?

Last edited by firstborn888; 10-23-2012 at 01:20 AM..

Old 10-23-2012, 12:29 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey7083 View Post
I have heard of people seeing the Saskwatch(?)-type creature out here in Oklahoma but I personally have never seen one. Lots of stuff in the woods, though, lots of stuff moving around out there...
Try McCurtain County or LeFlore County after dark out in the woods. You just might have a very strange experience.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:04 PM

24 posts, read 53,709 times
When me and my sister were 12 and 14 we went on a later afternoon walk, in the woods behind my granmas house... about half a hour in, we kept hearing what sounding like fast paced walking, but it was coming from the right, the left, and ahead of us.
We then heard the strangest grumble and squeeellllkkk like a big 'belly rumble' then like a yelp. It was Very loud, and made us ( at that age not caring) decide to go and see if we could hear where it was coming from, it was getting a bit dim, and the further in we got the darker it bacame. But young and naive/carefree we carried on. Again kept hearing the noise of walking, like the leaves crunching and twigs, yet could not see a thing.
Then all of a sudden, we both saw, quick as a flash, run across in front of us, what we still too this day can only describe as a large ( about the size of a greyhound dog) Creature, it was dark black/brown with no markings on it. It was kind of hunched over, with a hunched back, no tail, ( well not that we saw) and covered in hair, with a ape type face. It moved so quick, and darted towards a large overgrown bush area.

We were both frozen, and i grabbed her hand and ran. Still too this day i have no idea what the heck it was. it was like a ape/dog/wolf all in one! I know it sounds way strange... needless to say no one ever belived us. But we know what we saw, and it was like no animal we have ever seen since. Ever.
We live in the UK and its not liike there are often strange sightings in the area... so i have no idea. We came to the conclusion it was some sort of in-bred creature.
I know think after years of researching, and Tv programmes and people stories that there is alot we dont know about yet, even know scientists are discovering previously inknown sealife, and creatures of all sorts, and chances are there are lots of unknown animals from possibly animals breeding with other species, and creating new forms of life.

LOL even just sat here know 20 plus years later i still get a chill thinking of its face... was weird to say the least!!!

Old 10-28-2012, 03:42 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,474,268 times
I regularly, usually once every weekend, go on walks in the small section of woods in my backyard/housing area. It's not big by a longshot, but I wouldn't necesarrily call it small either (Seen countless deer, a bobcat, and a whole bunch of other critters out there), but anyway back to what I was saying. Since I'm a teen, I have friends over all the time, and we go outside in the woods regularly ont the weekends, but usually never hear anything too suspicious. We usually use our reasoning and think of something logical to counter what we heard. This past weekend, it was just me and another friend, and there was something bigger out there than usual. We could hear it 'stomping' around almost in like a semi circle around us while we were walking, and it occasionally made a very low pitched moaning type sound, but not very loud. (nothing sounded this big here, the deer are too soft-footed, and all the small cats don't make any noise) It was extremely nerve wracking, and we honestly didn't know what to do, so we started walking forwards/sideways to get out of the woods. Eventually we got out, but not without being scared half to death. It was a mad dash back to my house after that, not looking back for anything.

We discussed it when we were back to 'safety' as to what it could've possibly been and we just couldn't think of anything rational. Can't stop imagining that awful sound, it gives me chills whenever i think about it. Does anyone have any idea as to what it might be? (I live in kansas, suburbs of kansas city, pretty far out, though)

Old 10-29-2012, 04:22 PM

577 posts, read 992,734 times
Since I mentioned it in the haunted Forests thread I thought I would add a "something in the woods" story here. In the Pennsylvania black forest in 1993, Shane Fisher and his parents spotted a very large bird fling above the trees. He described it as "Looking like a Piper Cub. You could here the air rush through the wings. The wings were wider than a cross-bar on a telephone pole." Fisher's mother said it was "large enough to carry one of us away." Pennsylvania has had numerous "Thunderbird" sightings, mostly in the black forest area.

http://www.cryptozoology.net/english...ns/return.html

Old 10-29-2012, 05:08 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,674,702 times
A black panther sighting does not seem strange to me. When 'panther' is used, people think exotic and not of the US. However, the Mountain Lion of the US is also called panther in flat land states (ie Florida Panther). It would be rare, but totally natural for a genetic throwback for one to be born black.
Where I live, big cats are somewhat common in backyards. And it's a semi-rural area.

When we were living out in wild country, my daughter, brother in law and our big dog sighted something large, and fast....running on two legs. As the crow flies, we were about 15 miles from Willow Creek which is California's Big Foot 'HQ'....you can find the details of the sighting in the Bigfoot discussion found in this forum.

I think that it is totally possible that there are things on this planet that we have yet to discover. I know that many documented animals that are considered 'died off' are being seen again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal