Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2013, 07:51 AM

8,641 posts, read 9,159,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Interesting how some here are so firm in their beliefs...even though there's not much proof from their side either;
Ask yourself why? Think about it for a second. If we all knew life continued after death how would humanity react? Then there is the reverse in that we all know for a fact life ends at death and that is it. How would humanity react to that? To me, I think either one of those results would not be beneficial to humanity.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:51 AM

7,201 posts, read 15,024,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I tend not to believe in things because I am taught them, especially by religions which have their own interests and dogma to promote.
I agree with this 100%.

Quote:
I think that our soul's afterlife is a natural thing. You don't have to believe in God to accept that.
Why would it be a "natural" thing? It (afterlife) has no evolutionary or survival benefit. And what of the animals? We are, after all, just speaking mammals.

Quote:
Goodness and love, though, are important.
Again I agree. There is too little love on earth these days. Too little goodness. It seems like everyone is out for his or her own benefit. Life is becoming cheap.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:10 AM

11,762 posts, read 14,681,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I agree with this 100%.

Why would it be a "natural" thing? It (afterlife) has no evolutionary or survival benefit. And what of the animals? We are, after all, just speaking mammals.

Right, but there's an even more fundamental point: it's irrational to believe in a proposition without evidence and sound reasoning to support it. The proposition that souls exist has neither.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:11 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,440,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I tend not to believe in things because I am taught them, especially by religions which have their own interests and dogma to promote.

I think that our soul's afterlife is a natural thing. You don't have to believe in God to accept that. Goodness and love, though, are important.
Sounds a bit like natural rebellion,though at least you are open to spiritual possibilities;

Old 01-31-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
Of course you are not enlightening me at all.
If you read my post, you re indeed enlightened.

Quote:
I have read much of the stuff you mention that denigrates the Bible, but there are many evidences that what you say is absolutely not true.
The TRUTH doesn't denigrate the bible. There is no physical irrefutable scientific evidence at all. The latest I read was the lack of evidence for the Hebrews wandering in the desert all those years. Not a campfire, or a sandal or a broken bowl.... nothing. An afterlife was a promise with an agenda. No one but the mentally ill WANT to die. Promising an afterlife in a paradise situation was very appealing to the masses. You have to remember that except for the few wealthy citizens back then, life was hard and short. Brutal in many cases.

Quote:
But as I also stated, the unconvinced will remain so.
They will remain so until irrefutable evidence is provided. So far, that has not happened. The unconvinced become convinced when proof is provided.

Quote:
I am fine with my belief and the evidence provided and of course you are correct that faith is the essence of the Christian faith. The Bible does not claim to be scientific and I don't claim it is either.
And that's why it should be taken with a grain of salt. Especially the taking donkey story and the staff turning into a snake and crawling off. The Adam and Eve and flood story etc.

Quote:
You are going to believe the things that support your belief system whatever it is. The Bible is evidence in itself.
All religions make that claim about their holy writings. That is not scientific evidence. Do you know what "scientific evidence"means? There is no benefit to man of a afterlife and no real scientific evidence of such though man has been looking for evidence for ages.

Quote:
There are a number of very brilliant men over the centuries who have believed the scriptures and have investigated its reliability. You do have to believe in the supernatural to be sure. I do.
And many very brilliant men and women over the centuries were of a more scientific and open mind, and looked.... and found evidence that all life evolved on this planet......... and they have the irrefutable scientific evidence as proof. They found no evidence of any Gods or demons or afterlife. Remember where an afterlife is concerned, the christian bible claims all who die lay in their tombs awaiting the resurrection. They are not in heaven or hell.

Have you read your bible? As for an afterlife see:

ecclesiastes-91-12
For the living know they will die; but the dead do not know anything, nor have ...

Old 01-31-2013, 09:29 AM

651 posts, read 706,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
If you read my post, you re indeed enlightened.

The TRUTH doesn't denigrate the bible. There is no physical irrefutable scientific evidence at all. The latest I read was the lack of evidence for the Hebrews wandering in the desert all those years. Not a campfire, or a sandal or a broken bowl.... nothing. An afterlife was a promise with an agenda. No one but the mentally ill WANT to die. Promising an afterlife in a paradise situation was very appealing to the masses. You have to remember that except for the few wealthy citizens back then, life was hard and short. Brutal in many cases.

They will remain so until irrefutable evidence is provided. So far, that has not happened. The unconvinced become convinced when proof is provided.

And that's why it should be taken with a grain of salt. Especially the taking donkey story and the staff turning into a snake and crawling off. The Adam and Eve and flood story etc.

All religions make that claim about their holy writings. That is not scientific evidence. Do you know what "scientific evidence"means? There is no benefit to man of a afterlife and no real scientific evidence of such though man has been looking for evidence for ages.

And many very brilliant men and women over the centuries were of a more scientific and open mind, and looked.... and found evidence that all life evolved on this planet......... and they have the irrefutable scientific evidence as proof. They found no evidence of any Gods or demons or afterlife. Remember where an afterlife is concerned, the christian bible claims all who die lay in their tombs awaiting the resurrection. They are not in heaven or hell.

Have you read your bible? As for an afterlife see:

ecclesiastes-91-12
For the living know they will die; but the dead do not know anything, nor have ...
I agree, the bible says a live dog is better than a dead lion. LOL the one book or group of books responsible for the myth of life after death and there are several scriptures that show there is nothing after death.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
For all who believe in this woman (or any medium), let me ask you this: have you ever heard of any medium giving the survivor bad news? Ever heard them say, "Well, sorry to tell you, but you dead son is roasting in hell with his back broken?" Or ever heard them say, "Hey, that son of yours who was murdered told me tell you he still hates your guts?" How about, "You thought your husband suffered when he had cancer, it's nothing compared to how he's suffering in the afterlife!"

Of course not. They are paid to tell lies which will comfort the deceased.
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These people (mediums etc) have been exposed repeatedly in the past 75 years yet the gullible will still believe in them. They all make the same claims and say basically the same thing to everyone who believes. These are shrewd business people who get very rich from their scams. It's easy enough to expose them but they would make sure THAT never got on TV.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I was with a person less than 5 minutes before he died. He pointed above me and asked me if I can see the angel. No I said, he smiled and pointed at what he saw and said there it is. He died shortly after. I don't know what it is or means but I never forgot it.
The dying brain can hallucinate. Minutes before my father fell into a coma and died of his cancer, he thought he was on a plane going to France. We could see he believed what he was seeing and hearing in his dying mind. We humored him until he drifted away.... happy thinking he was going on vacation to France.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Interesting in that I am not brainwashed by religion...I don't believe in religion.

Why do you think there is nothingness before we are born?
Why would there be? It has no survival, reproductive or evolutionary value. And even if there was, since no one can remember it, it wouldn't matter.

Quote:
Do you not believe that we have a spirit or soul?
Why would we?

Old 01-31-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Interesting how some here are so firm in their beliefs...even though there's not much proof from their side either;
Always keep in mind that most people have great difficulty in accepting the inevitability and finality of their own death, and the death of their loved ones. And this is one factor that allows them to believe no matter what the evidence shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal