Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2013, 03:45 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

I've heard that there's actually not a lot of spiritual activity in cemeteries, since the spirits are more 'settled' but still, considering many people would have died rather horrible deaths nonetheless, if ghosts/spirits are real wouldn't it fairly easy to spot/detect them in graveyards?

The nearby cemetery (where my baby brother is buried by the way) here locks the gates at 9pm, but I've driven around there after dark. Haven't experienced anything weird, but I guess it's an eerie feeling. Has anyone else ever went there looking for ghosts, maybe as a child or something? lol
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 05:04 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
We always walked in the cemetary when we were teenagers, just for a quiet walk and it was beautiful, hills and winding roads--got an award prettiest cemetary around I think. But, I don't think there's more "activity" there vs. anywheres really. It's just their body/shell there. Energy can be anywheres.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:08 AM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
I find most of my spirits at the liquor store.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:53 AM

535 posts, read 1,294,675 times
Several years ago me and couple of friends went to a large, old historical cemetery in Alabama one night in hopes of seeing some spirits but saw nothing out of the ordinary. We even took a few pics but came back with nothing.

People tend to think just because it's a cemetery that's where the spirits are but as the above poster said "energy is everywhere" and spirit activity can be caught anywhere...usually when you are least expecting.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:15 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
In my opinion, a cemetery is the last place you'll find spirits. The reason a ghost comes into being is because of unfinished business, or a violent death -- and I would think it would be far more logical that the ghost would be where he or she actually met their end.

The first time I went to see my father's grave was at night. I knew where we had the graveside ceremony, as did my boyfriend.... but my father's grave was NOT there. So we ran all over the cemetery looking for it. I'm surprised no on called the cops. The good part about that is that when we found it, it was more like a scavenger hunt, than a sad solemn occasion, and the grave was the prize.

Very in keeping with my father by the way.

Daddy's grave was at the other end of the cemetery. I guess they wanted to limit the number of women walking on the very soft earth in heels, so they had it at the nearest side to the parking area.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:24 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
A few times when I was younger I'd sit on those cement benches in the cemetery enjoying the peace and quiet, never saw, heard or felt nary a spirit, ghost or manifestation....

I've never felt threatened by the night, cemeteries or death.....

Old 03-02-2013, 09:20 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Once I spent almost an entire night sitting in a ghost town cemetery even... that is somewhat infamous for being haunted in the dead of winter and didn't see a ghost (though I froze my butt off) or experience anything odd.

I don't think ghosts hang out in cemeteries... they probably stop by, read the headstones for a bit, drop off some flowers and leave pretty quick just like we do.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:16 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,964,749 times
A visit to a cemetery by spirits would be like you donating your old coat to the goodwill, then stopping by to see if it still there.
Cemeteries hold no meaning to spirits at all.
To them, it is nothing but a collection of old bones.
Like a piece of clothing you discard, the spirits have discarded your body when you die, and there is no reason for spirits to hang around cemeteries.
On the rare exception a spirit is at a cemetery, more often than not, the spirit was not ready to give up it's human bondage, and is caught between the earthly plain, and the spirit world, not being able to be a part of either.
We humans seem to hold great importance to cemeteries however, and that is because they contain the remains of people we loved when they were among us.
The reality is, when we visit the cemetery to remember our loved ones, or to feel closer to them, we are really only visiting old bones.
The person we loved is not there.
We feel we honor their memory by going to cemeteries,and that is true, but as for actually "visiting " them, that just isn't the case.
They are not of this world any longer, and the only hope all of us have is that when our time comes to depart, we will meet them on the other side.
Bob.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:34 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
But cemeteries are important to those of us who do genealogy. They are a great source -- although not always accurate. My great grandmother's gravestone is wrong -- obviously bought at the same time as my great grandfather's about 13 years later -- and it seems no one really cared about the dates -- they used the same as his, which is wrong. Unless great grand pappy was a bigamist in the same little town. Just don't think that was the case.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:36 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
I never did. In junior high some of the neighborhood boys wanted to sneak into a local cemetery doing just this, I admit it I was too spooked to go. Out of respect it's probably not good to go there for recreation anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal