Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 11:07 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I love a good mystery and while I think something supernatural could be happening I still think of 3 things:

1. Our jounalism sucks. Someone said it earlier. Other major events like the boston bombing and sandy hook shooting which I consider more important, our news made some heinous critical errors. So I can only imagine what was misreported here and copied over and over again by other agencies.

2. The police (and the news) really dont give a damn. This woman wasnt a young pretty (rich) white girl so they arent going to spend a whole lot of time trying to figure out what happened. "Shes bipolar? Book it danno. Crazy girl offed herself." Plus we are all spoiled by CSI, NCIS and all the other crime investigation shows where they expend a lot of resources, manpower and fancy equipment and have everything wrapped up in an hour episode. Or maybe they did prove it conclusively but the news is too incompetant to report on it.

3. The hospital doesnt want to get sued and called in a favor. Of course the tanks are behind locked doors and of course theres an alarm and of course everything was locked and armed. What else would they say? Perhaps there really was no foul play but the wheres and how she got on the roof and in the tank is something best hidden because it could bring liability upon the hotel.

This post is the very definition of the phrase "Sad But True"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 12:31 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Plus we are all spoiled by CSI, NCIS and all the other crime investigation shows where they expend a lot of resources, manpower and fancy equipment and have everything wrapped up in an hour episode. Or maybe they did prove it conclusively but the news is too incompetant to report on it.
I recently heard a figure that shocked me. I think a lot of people think -- like I did -- that in a crime where evidence is collected, it gets processed very quickly. But, in the city where I live, the labs have an over 600 case backlog. There are rape kits that may never get processed.

I'm sure certain cases can be pushed ahead of the line. But I'd bet the Elisa Lam case isn't one of them. It's piqued our interest, yes -- but the police took a look at it, hashed it out and drew a conclusion and it's over.

And you know -- the vast majority of cases are solved on simple police work. The forensics are the icing on the cake.

A few years back, a woman I knew was murdered. The cops did their job, the footwork led them to suspect some guy. But they couldn't prove it, and he was a flight risk. Fortunately, in looking at him closely, they discovered that he was doing something that violated his probation. That landed him back in jail to serve the rest of his sentence and gave the police time to create an airtight case for murder. Which they did. He's in jail for 25 to life.

None of the evidence was DNA. Very little was forensic.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:43 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,121,936 times
I think some might be putting the cart before the horse...the movie is probably not connected to Elisa Lam in some mysterious, supernatural or mysterious way, but probably Elise Lam had seen it, knew something of the references to the hotel in the movie, and was just acting it out for whatever reason. I believe that someone mentioned she was bi-polar. Perhaps she also had some sort of schizophrenia?

Old 07-20-2015, 08:23 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,176,343 times
Just read through this thread; very interesting theories here. I will say the elevator footage with EL is extremely creepy, disturbing, and unnerving. I literally felt like I was watching a video clip from a horror flick here. Obviously, taken by itself it's just bizzare - but, considering what happened to EL, this has an added element of horror.

So, what did actually happen to her in that video?! Was there someone outside the elevator that she was afraid of?! If so, why couldn't we see them?! Were they intentionally staying out of the line of sight of the elevator camera?! Very mysterious.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:55 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,578,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post

So, what did actually happen to her in that video?! Was there someone outside the elevator that she was afraid of?! If so, why couldn't we see them?! Were they intentionally staying out of the line of sight of the elevator camera?! Very mysterious.
The strangest part is how did she got naked and into a security place and into this locked water tank.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:51 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,489,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
How did she get on to the rooftop by herself though? And not to mention into the water tower?

I think she was killed..why was she naked?
I cannot say why she removed her clothes though I have seen speculation that she may have removed them to stand on them. This does not explain the watch though. Roof access and tank access is not difficult at all.

These are the tanks. Look how easy it is to get on to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
If there is a way to get into the tank from the top, I would say drug induced skinny dipping in the tank. If she was just staying for a night or two though, I doubt if she would even know there was a tank up there. Was this a residence hotel where she had been staying long-term?

In my opinion, it looks like she is trying to avoid being seen. She keeps peeking out as if to see if she is being watched. I think she may have been trying to sneak up to the roof.
I am not sure what is going on in that video but there is supposed to be a mirror where she is looking which would explain a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
#1. Drugs ruled completely out.

#2. opening in tank too small for her to fit through, they had to cut open tank to get her out.

#3. Where the tanks were completely secured, inside a locked gated area, even over the top.

#4. Only way to tanks was through a door well with a locked huge metal door with an alarm system

#5. Found nakes, clothing never found.

#6. She was avoiding trying to be seen and was interacting with something and covering her ears. He body movements were not natural.

Lots of other pieces to the puzzle missing.
Almost everything in the post is wrong and it is posts like these that make this unfortunate event into a mystery. Ignorance is where ghosts live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
Yeah, when I first heard the story I was confused by the having to cut open the tank part, thinking that meant there was no possible way she could have been put in there. Not only does the draining of the tank make sense, and the bloating as well, but also I read a report that said that the whole was too small for a fireman to get in. Presumably the firemen would have been larger than her. Plus, to go into the water that her body had been in for weeks would have been extremely unsanitary.

Like I said in the OP I'm not quick to jump to something paranormal here, though I do think there are some unexplained aspects to this case and can easily see why, when paired with the history of the Cecil, some people could jump to that. But regardless, at the end of the day I do not buy the official decision of nothing suspicious having happened.

Again, even if she had been wanting to kill herself, or was just wanting to play in water, how would she have known the tanks were there? How would she have gotten through the LOCKED door without tripping the Alarm? Why would she have taken off all of her clothes and hid them? Why, if it was a suicide, would she just not have jumped off the building?

I know she was bi-polar, but with no drugs found in her system it's hard for me to believe that that is enough reason for her to go skinny dipping in the water tanks. She was obviously coherent enough for friends and family to not be overly concerned about her going to LA for a week or however long it was, so it's hard for me to get behind the idea that she just "ooops" fell in and drowned.

I don't get it. I'd like to know what happened with her clothes. Maybe I've been reading this wrong this whole time but from my understanding they never found them. If they do find them then they could maybe get some answers. But of course, seems like this case is closed so they won't be looking for anything anyway.

Sad & tragic.
Roof access is apparently easy. There is a window that was open on the 15th floor that allowed access to the fire escape and was just a quick climb up a short ladder and you are on the roof.

As for knowing if there were tanks on top of the building or not I am not sure why people think this is an issue at all. She could have climbed up there without knowing and when she found them all of this could have happened. There is no need to know that the tanks existed beforehand nor do people always have knowledge of what kills them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaboy View Post
If it's true that Richard Ramierez stayed at the hotel during part of his murder spree, well, then, that pretty much sums it up for me.

Some of the comments here are by uninformed posters. At least read the entire profile on this case before making comments like, "it was drugs"

When you look into each and every aspect of the case, the questions, etc, it leaves more mystery then answered resolve. There is no answer or even a clue leading to a possible answer. That's what makes this case so unique and bizarre. Coupled with the video showing contorting body movements, and what appears to be her being pushed to the left as she walks off, makes it all the more weird and unexplainable.

I know many of the detectives working the case made comments about evil spirits. Many LA detectives are from South American roots and they believe in that stuff. Freaked many of them out.
There is no proof of "evil spirits" but there is evidence of mental instability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
The strangest part is how did she got naked and into a security place and into this locked water tank.
Simple answer is that it was not secured or locked. I am not sure if she got in naked or got naked after she got in. I am not sure why you think this would be an issue at all.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:06 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,648,454 times
If access to the tanks was easier than it looks from these photos (thanks for posting), I still feel like she might have been "auditioning" for a hotel employee (who knew how to manipulate those CCTV tapes) posing as a Hollywood director or producer. She may have believed she was just being filmed and "directed."

But even with this theory, what would be the motivation to kill her? She wasn't raped (I don't think), or beaten. Some people are just evil and need no reason to kill -- sick to think that someone may have gotten a kick out of closing the tank and leaving her in there to die....very sick.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
If access to the tanks was easier than it looks from these photos (thanks for posting), I still feel like she might have been "auditioning" for a hotel employee (who knew how to manipulate those CCTV tapes) posing as a Hollywood director or producer. She may have believed she was just being filmed and "directed."

But even with this theory, what would be the motivation to kill her? She wasn't raped (I don't think), or beaten. Some people are just evil and need no reason to kill -- sick to think that someone may have gotten a kick out of closing the tank and leaving her in there to die....very sick.
She was sick. It is well documented. Her death is most probably an accident which unfortunately was the result of her own actions. There is no evidence that she was murdered. It is tragic. It is even more tragic that people try to profit off of her death.

Reading here writings I feel bad for her. I think there are a lot of people who would have liked to be her friend but until her death did not know about her.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:35 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
She was sick. It is well documented. Her death is most probably an accident which unfortunately was the result of her own actions. There is no evidence that she was murdered. It is tragic. It is even more tragic that people try to profit off of her death.

Reading here writings I feel bad for her. I think there are a lot of people who would have liked to be her friend but until her death did not know about her.
According to her parents, some type of mental disorder. It would make her vulnerable. Anything you can link would be great.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
According to her parents, some type of mental disorder. It would make her vulnerable. Anything you can link would be great.
Here are some links you may find useful:

Her twitter - https://twitter.com/lambetes

Her tumblr - nouvelle/nouveau
nouvelle/nouveau - Do not speak- unless it improves silence

Quote:
“You’re always haunted by the idea you’re wasting your life.” — Chuck Palahniuk
Do not speak- unless it improves silence
I don’t know to explain myself and I have a feeling that I never will know who I am so instead of an abstract and useless description I will assure you that I am not a nutjob that hunts for their next victim on the internet. I, however, will think everyone else is a pedophile thanks to To Catch a Predator. I’m logical like that.
Here are some bullet points
  • I am twenty-something student in Canada
  • I have no idea have some idea what I’m studying
  • I have typical twenty-something issues (specifically bipolar depression ) and every now and then I’ll talk about it sarcastically.
  • Despite saying I hate people a lot, I actually enjoy (and require) human interaction but my inability to go outside means I’ll only contact the outside world anonymously and over the internet
Feel free to ask a silly question. It could be an awkward magical adventure for us both.
http://nouvelle-nouveau.tumblr.com/a...filter-by/text
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal