Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 12:18 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times

Advertisements

I wish I could learn how to meditate but the mind never stops long enough to take a breath. Teach me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 01:35 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,198,794 times
I just nap and relax on occasion...probably does not count as meditation. LOL.

When someone is meditating, even if it does not have the benefits claimed, it sure beats a lot of things they might be doing with that time. They are not adding to traffic congestion and tailgating drivers (pet peeve of mine); not watching some silly reality show; not soliciting door to door; not arguing with someone on city data...LOL!

I don't have a problem with it. So long as they are not pushing it on others and getting carried away with New Age lingo. Sharing it with those who have expressed interest is a different story. There are worse ways to spend that time for sure.

To each their own.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:50 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Locked for review -- I will open it later....

Reopened -- with reservations. If this goes off the track again, I will close it. And no religious stories. This is totally the wrong forum. If someone wants to know a Bible story, they look up the Bible story.

Last edited by Tallysmom; 03-04-2014 at 06:28 PM..

Old 03-04-2014, 10:01 PM

712 posts, read 2,146,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
What is the reasoning behind not putting this discussion into a more fitted forum?
Which one.. the one where the religious hang out?

Also the forum software said the title meditation was too common and was in a bunch of different forums/threads including the north Virginia forum? too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
It seems to me that many (if not most) "New Age" stuff misses the boat when it comes to spirituality. They tend to obsess over and ape the tools and techniques to tap into that higher level of consciousness by many different cultures but fail to utilize them in context... or accept/understand that certain ceremonies/techniques are useless to a mind which hasn't grown up in and/or entirely absorbed the culture from which the ceremony originated.

Many "New Agers" seem to think that feeling awe is that "magic place" of sprituality... and while being awe-inspired is pretty cool, it's not the same thing as peeking out of the conscious mind's "box" and seeing existence from a greater perspective than before.
Yah, I agree...

Kryon talks about a cool concept of lighthouses.. and this is another "phenomena" with new agers if your aware of some of the groups involved.. a lot of them call themselves lightworkers

But it's like part of the problem is.. they kind of get together in groups.. and be happy in their circle of friends that agree with them.. *cough* other lightworkers..

But kyron coolly describes "the light house" concept.. let me see if I can find a quote?

Quote:
I’m in a place I don’t want to be in. Why am I being punished every day by having to work with these people that are so dark? They think I’m crazy and don’t honor me or my life. What should I think about this? It’s hard!”

And my answer will again be this:

~do you think it’s all about an accident? Or that you’re being punished? Then you have missed the grandeur of a standard Lighthouse. Lighthouses aren’t built in safe places. They choose to be where the storms are! You’re not being punished. You’re being taken to a difficult place to shine your light. Physically, what should you be doing (with the people around you)? Can you love them? Listen to them! Listen to what’s really happening in their lives. Consider every day one where you have an opportunity to create light in a dark place. Watch attitudes change. You may be “weird” to them, but they know you represent integrity. Spiritually, you’re a light in a dark place and you wonder why you’re there? It isn’t always about you. Think about them! You’re not being punished, you’re being given an opportunity. This is the work you came to do, and it’s not forever. In a place you don’t want to be, working with people you don’t want to be with, is the work of a Lighthouse. What if you’re the only light they ever see?~ source
Now this is not the exact dialog I'm talking about.. because he has once in a while lectured about *lightworkers* *cough* meditators/new agers.. holding themselves apart from the rest of the world or better.. than them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Themaster....umm, that would be Miss Hepburn to you.
Okay..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
All I can say is that I've been meditating the past few weeks and the benefits are quite noticeable. I did a couple of years ago for a few months and stopped. As soon as I stopped the benefits disappeared. Benefits include increased calmness, focus, clarity of thought, and feelings of content. If I am a sucker for experiencing these things, well then I'll just settle for being a sucker.
Not so much a sucker..

But why did you loose the benefits? Why weren't you able to hold that awareness beyond the meditation or because of the meditation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I wish I could learn how to meditate but the mind never stops long enough to take a breath. Teach me.
I like grounding myself.. it's really much better.. if you ask me.. (and one of the effects of grounding is removing thoughts)

mod cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Locked for review -- I will open it later....

Reopened -- with reservations. If this goes off the track again, I will close it. And no religious stories. This is totally the wrong forum. If someone wants to know a Bible story, they look up the Bible story.
Yah, I dunno where it ever went off-track.. you just don't like the former title or what?

Quote:
Ooo, sounds like a great story...please...spill....
Okay, I'll do some research and see if I can find it..

I don't know if I read it.. in one of their books? or if there is a audio..? hmm you remind me I lost my primary hard drive a few months back.. lost like 16 Gb of Abraham audios..

But I'll retell it if I can't find it on youtube..

Last edited by Tallysmom; 03-05-2014 at 12:16 AM.. Reason: TOS violation of copywrite

Old 03-04-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Ooo, sounds like a great story...please...spill....

Well, I looked but I don't see it.. I found this interesting interview though (it's newer) with jerry and esther in it..

INTRODUCTION TO ABRAHAM - Esther & Jerry Hicks - YouTube

but I don't think the how they met "Abraham" is in it.. (that was skipped) I think the audio is in "Science of deliberate creation" (which is old stuff that goes back to 1988)

Alright this is my retelling of the story (so again if the source isn't in "science of deliberate creation" I'd try the first book "ask and it's given" though for the record the only one I've read complete is "the law of attraction" so it's possible it could be in there?)

Okay.. esther and jerry (now deceased) were very big into information from a channel named Seth/Jane Roberts they had read a few books by "Jane Roberts/Seth" and so at some point they started trying meditating because of something seth said.. and they tried it/practiced it for several years (I think only a year!) but the instructions they used was "get the mind as quiet as possible"

So after several years of meditating.. one day esthers nose began to wiggle and they kind of began using yes/no questions via wiggling and that started a form of verbal communication..

So later on when Abraham began talking through esther.. they revealed a fact.. if esther hadn't been trying so hard to "quiet her mind" she could have begun talking to them a long time ago.. in essence her focus on a quieting her mind in meditation was blocking them.. so that's the interesting aspect I was talking about

Also one other fact.. Abraham has said many times.. the reason they were brought forth was because jerry had such a craving for knowledge...

Old 03-04-2014, 11:56 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,449,471 times
Quote:
The only way to teach someone who has a mind that never stops (that was me in the beginning) is to take micro steps.

How I learned was to silent my mind for 1 second. Once I could accomplish this. I added another second. If it took 3 weeks to be able to hold my mind still for 2 seconds then that is what I did until I could master 3 seconds.

I continued this unit I was able to silence for 45 minutes or more. Baby steps with deep intent and motivation to reach the goal is how you will get there. 1 second at a time. It may sound silly but it works

Last edited by TVC15; 03-05-2014 at 12:06 AM..

Old 03-10-2014, 03:29 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,824,290 times
Quote:
I just let my mind wander where it wants. meditation is good for many rhings. You mighy even find closure or forgivness, possibly acceptance of something you have locked in your head or thought you forgot. I let my mind wander and listening to music helps. I dont find zen in silence.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:50 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Themaster,
I am so dumb...I thought you meant Abraham of the Bible.
I know almost everything about Ab-Hicks....LOVE them and
their CDs and have all their books and give them out.
I listen to them more than any other CDs. What clarity.
Maybe the No. 1 or 2 of the most influencial information in my life, thus far.
(For my best friend it is the Seth books.)

Old 03-10-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I know almost everything about Ab-Hicks....LOVE them and their CDs
Well, you and me both

Did you remember it from my re-telling? or still haven't heard that? (I didn't mention the part about the semi or whatever either )

Quote:
Themaster,
I am so dumb...
Can't do it wrong

You look perfect to me Miss Hepburn!

Old 03-12-2014, 05:41 PM

2 posts, read 1,398 times
It’s not everyday that I get the chance to meditate for a significant amount of time. Over the course of the last eight years or so though, I have taken the opportunity whenever it arises to complete long stints of meditation (e.g. 3+ hours, full days, 5 days or even 10 days).
These more intense sessions really allow me to let everything go and wake up to realities about my Self in a much deeper way than normal compared to short amounts of daily practice. While both are important, I highly encourage people to totally unplug on occasion for deeper self-realization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal