Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 06:23 AM

51,648 posts, read 25,800,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Take it for what it's worth, but, Irish & Icelandic cultures believe it's the work of fairies playing pranks, when items begin to disappear. The problem with fairies is they play pranks when they feel they're not thanked for the good they do... or, if they're called upon to help & aren't thanked. They're thanked/honored by leaving a bottle cap with a bit of beer (or water & sugar, if you're from a non-alcohol household) & a small piece of bread... just a crumb really (anything yeast will do) with a hearty thanks. But, I grew up in these cultures, so it's just 2nd nature for us. Fairies always get the 1st bite of a treat to thank them for protecting the household.
I've known several who believe in this. I certainly do.

I can't tell you how many times I've put a pair of glasses, a purse, a pair of shoes, a book... in a certain spot so that I can find it later and then gone. Just gone.

I thank the Fairies for all their help and things reappear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 06:24 AM

51,648 posts, read 25,800,144 times
I've noticed that since our kids moved out, things don't seem to move around like they used to. In particular, I've noticed that twenty dollar bills stay in my purse longer.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:32 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,816,776 times
Socks. In the dryer. Poof!

The rest of you: stop buying the Two Buck Chuck at Trader Joe's!

Old 05-31-2014, 10:15 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,670,168 times
There are all kinds of reasons for things to 'disappear'.
Like Iceland, fairies- pixies and brownies have been said to be the more mischievous of fey.
There is our own vanishing powers- as in the concept that we are completely in control of our realities and can 'remove' an item from our vision/reality, temporarily or gone for good.
Why? Who knows....so much about our brains we don't understand.
Ghosts and other entities, can be mischievous or helpful.
And there are the mental black-holes that cause us to either forget, recall differently, or .... Again, the brain does weird stuff.

I had a resident ghost retrieve an item that had been stolen. It was a nice surprise. I had not asked the ghost for help, but the ghost probably did witness my confrontation with an aquaintance of the person I believed stole the item.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:49 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,891,510 times
You have Borrowers. They are harmless, and terrified of encountering Human Beans (sic).

See "The Borrowers" series (of five books), by Mary Norton. The movies are not as good as the original books.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:12 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,096,273 times
I've had little things disappear from time to time only to turn up in the oddest places, but I live here with my husband and son so it's quite possible they moved them and forgot to tell me. But some of the stuff, like my necklace, and the spool of thread are things they wouldn't normally touch.

However, I did have something appear out of nowhere once. It was the freakiest thing.

My oldest son was about 12 and he asked me if he could go to church, a Catholic church with his friend. We're not Catholic. I said ok and then told him I had to get him money so that he could put it in the collection basket that they pass around.
As soon as I finished that sentence a quarter came out of nowhere and hit him gently in the chest. He had a V neck shirt on and the quarter landed right on his skin. I saw it land there but I never saw where it came from. There was no one else home at the time and there was no place that that quarter could have fallen from. It was obviously thrown from an angle and not from above to land on my son's chest like that but we were the only ones home.
I told him 'somebody' wants you to put that in the collection basket so he brought it to the church with him.

Another time, my younger son and I were sitting at the kitchen table and he was giving me a difficult time about doing his homework. I was getting frustrated and I yelled at him. Right after i yelled we see the plastic kitchen clock that was on the wall float above the table and land very gently right in front of us. It landed so gently that it there was no damage to clock at all.
We both looked at each other in disbelief and said 'did you see that?" There was no explanation for it at all. If it had fallen off the wall it would have landed on the bench that was against the wall and probably would have broken in the fall. I think the resident ghost was telling me to calm down and stop yelling at him.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:35 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,863,876 times
My guess would be that your 12 month old moved them. If the laptop cord is something you move around often, she would be interested in it and able to reach where you found it. When you have a baby, you have to do the same things for them over and over so it's easy to forget if you've already done something...maybe you moved the cord the night before and she moved it sometime during the day. I would chalk this up to mommy brain and a busy toddler, rather than anything spooky.

Old 05-31-2014, 02:18 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,375,112 times
Self-hypnosis: I'll put my THIRD set of vehicle keys in a location where no one will find them.
Now, I can't find them.

Or when I move and I KNOW I packed that chefs' knife I've had for twenty-five years, only
to never see it again.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:29 PM

14,938 posts, read 12,132,451 times
I thought it was just us, and figured we must be nuts. We've had things intermittently disappear in this house since we moved here, part time since construction was completed almost five years ago, and full time about 1.5 years ago. We're the original owners, and far as I can remember we didn't have things disappear like this in our old house. While I guess I'm more or less an agnostic regarding things spiritual or supernatural, I figure there's likely a perfectly reasonable and natural explanation for all these things disappearing. But I will be darned if I know what that is!

I live here with my DH and adult DD, who are as much at a loss to explain some of these disappearances as I am- no one's shy about admitting they took something when they did. The stuff that has disappeared is dumb, a cheap red plastic mixing bowl that I KNOW I put away and where, but it's never resurfaced. I've had leftovers in the refrigerator just plain disappear- a cooked chicken breast, an opened package of sausage, some pepperoni, and the latest, two unopened cans of Pringles from the pantry. I expected that another member of our household might have eaten some of this stuff, and perhaps that's the case although they don't even like some of what's disappeared, and deny it, but what the heck??? I also expect that the disappeared food will resurface at the back of the refrigerator as a well-seasoned "science project", but it never has.

These disappearances go along with someone occasionally hearing a cabinet door open in the middle of the night when no one's in the kitchen, watching a glass launch itself out of the dish drainer, fall on the floor and break, an item somehow move itself close enough to the edge of a desk and fall off, a couple of drinking glasses sitting in the cabinet with their tops scored off a day or so after they had been put away, and my personal favorite, one time when I was standing in front of a basket of body sprays in the bathroom, trying to decide which one to use, when one of the bottles sort of jumped out of the basket in front of me- I used that one, LOL.

We've all seen this stuff happen, and figure there must be a natural explanation, but we joke about the aliens visiting us, the family just like us that's living here in an alternate reality, some one of our deceased relatives keeping an eye on things, or perhaps the spirit of the Indians ( Creek, Calusa, Seminoles?) that once inhabited the land our house is built on?
Or that we are just plain losing it.....

I guess we have all had experiences of losing items only to have them resurface later on- happens here too, but that's a more familiar scenario to me. My favorite (tongue-in-cheek) explanation for those disappearances/reappearances was from a guy I worked with one time, His theory was that these items were "borrowed" for study by aliens who were studying our human nature. He said they would take these items, study them for however long they needed to, then return them when they were finished, not necessarily to the place where the item had been. So when we lost an item at work, we always said that aliens had the item. I don't know, I guess it's as good an explanation as any because, of course WE never misplace anything!

Old 05-31-2014, 04:50 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,726,984 times
Yeah, all the time. I have countless PFG Fishing shirts that are just gone. My "ugly" lounging shorts keep disappearing. I have started buying excessive amounts so some survivors remain and can be worn occasionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal