Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2024, 09:37 AM

977 posts, read 536,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Curious about any strange coincidences that have happened to people?
I think the weirdest is when I was in the army and stationed at Coleman barracks in Germany. When I got there several people asked where I was from. I said "Albuquerque" and the response from each of them was "Oh! You must know Adella." I was aquainted with a woman who was my mother's friend named Adella so I knew that wasn't who they were referring to. My response was "Albuquerque has over 80,000 people and I don't know all of them." (Ha, I wish it was only 80,000 population now).

Anyway, I ended up working with Adella and she and I were very different, she was 2 years younger and very angry, I was too, but I thought it was different (though in retrospect I think we were both angry at our dads, it just manifested differently - men did not mess with either of us). One day we started talking about what schools we went to and we went to the same Jr High. Her family moved around a lot because her dad was a G.I. It turned out her older sister and I were in classes together and somehow I mentioned the village I grew up in before we moved to Albuquerque, which is where my mother met her friend Adella. She mentioned her cousins who lived next door to my family and suddenly I remember we did meet when she was 5 and I was 7. Her sister would not come out of the house to play with us so I never met her until Jr. High. Their dad had gotten sent over seas (maybe Viet Nam) so they were visiting relatives. The wife of the neighbor was her mother's sister Adella. She was named for her aunt. So, she gave me the scoop on her cousins that I had gone to school with.

I have so many weird coincidences I can't even remember them all, but that one was memorable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2024, 08:08 PM

4,028 posts, read 2,712,668 times
My weird coincidences usually involve my being a sort of 'linchpin' for two people who I meet in two completely different places at different times, turning out to know each other.

When I was stationed in Germany in the early 1990's, my NCOIC was a woman from Vermont. Twenty-five years later, I'm living in Colorado, and I would walk around my neighborhood and I would see a woman who looked vaguely familiar, but could never place her. Facebook was taking off, people were looking each other up, and said sergeant found me and friended me. We chatted, and I had given her my address so she could send me a Christmas card, and she said, "This is too funny, you live around the corner from my sister!" The woman who looked vaguely familiar? That was the sister.

When I was stationed in Texas, I was in a unit with a woman from New Hampshire originally (and her married surname was quite unusual). She had spoken of going to school in a one-room schoolhouse until....third grade, I think she said? I hadn't quite believed this initially, since she and I were both born in the early 70s (so I thought one room schoolhouses were a thing of the past.) Twenty years later, I'm living in Colorado, and a temporary roommate was mentioning having grown up in New Hampshire. I remembered the Army soldier, and said, "Oh, I served with somebody from New Hampshire once. She told me that she went to school in a one-room schoolhouse until 3rd grade." Roommate went quiet, then said, "Was her name 'Jane Unusuallastname'?" I was surprised, and confirmed it, and asked how he knew. He had dated her older sister for several years in high school and they were still in touch. (He also confirmed the one-room schoolhouse part.)

I lived in Oklahoma for a while (mid 1990s), and had been friends with a group of people there. One was a woman who actually grew up in a small town in Arkansas near the state line. Again, in Colorado, I became friends with a married couple who turned out to have come from the same small town in Arkansas. The husband had dated the woman I'd known when they were in high school.

Another one of the Oklahoma friends was a guy from Colorado originally, but from the Western Slope. I'd made a friend up here, and when everybody was friending everybody else on Facebook, he saw the guy on my friend list, and asked how I'd met him. Turns out they had been roommates their freshmen year in college.

Living in Colorado, I made friends up here. Outside of my core group, I started dating a guy, and after a while, decided it was time for him to meet my friends. He and one of my girl friends had gone to high school together....in Florida. My boyfriend didn't quite remember my friend, but she definitely remembered him. As she put it, "You don't forget a guy who was six foot seven by our sophomore year!"

A former coworker of mine from here in Colorado did some moving around the country (last time we had worked together was early early 2000s), and wound up moving near my hometown (near St. Louis.) By chance, he moved to a town that my cousin lives in about seven years ago. His son and her daughter dated for a while. (Going to different colleges was pretty much the reason for breaking up.) They hadn't been aware that I was a 'common denominator' when it started. My cousin happened to be talking to him and he mentioned having worked for X company in Colorado. My cousin mentioned, that she'd had a cousin who'd worked there too. When she told him my name, he started laughing, because we'd worked on so many projects together.

Old 03-08-2024, 10:44 PM

2,052 posts, read 996,765 times
I love stories like these. I think I have shared this elsewhere on the forum.

This happened around thirteen years ago. A friend hosted a housewarming party for a new house that she and her husband were building. It was rural, off the grid and in the middle nowhere, and all the guests brought tents to camp in. At the party around the campfire things got lively and chatty, and at one point it was discovered that my friend's husband and I had both attended the same middle school together in the 1980s and lived within a few miles of each other, in another state. Neither of us remembered the other, but we definitely confirmed other kids and teachers and places in common. Pretty small odds!

Even stranger was I had casually met my friend's husband a few times before the housewarming party, and neither of us had any idea that we had been schoolmates 20+ years earlier because the conversations never got that personal.

Old 03-10-2024, 06:39 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,485,395 times
A friend of mine named Carol died tonight about 6pm. Her friend texted me at 606pm to tell me. Carol gave me a battery operated clock about 10 years ago that is hanging on my kitchen wall. It stopped running at exactly 606pm tonight. This has me a bit freaked out. I'd guess I would be very freaked out if I knew the exact time of death and that was the time the clock stopped. Why did they happen? Just a coincidence?

Old 03-10-2024, 09:00 PM

16,074 posts, read 10,732,474 times
I have had so many synchronicity events that I can't list them all and don't even flinch when they happen. It just happens. Jung thought that these were meaningful coincidences, not casual events or encounters. I find them interesting but not meaningful as far as I can tell.

Old 03-11-2024, 10:38 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,966,979 times
6.7traveler, glad you revived this thread 9 years later because I don't recall seeing this in the first place, but it will be interesting to read these posts!

As I'm thinking, I can't say anything's been really coincidental, etc. that's ever happened to me. All I can think of is, later on the exact same day my father passed away, I got notification that I passed my grad school exam to earn my MS in Communication Disorders & Sciences (my 2nd grad degree), so I never got to tell him. Hopefully, he was looking down on me & knew!

Old 04-18-2024, 03:50 PM

4,028 posts, read 2,712,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
My weird coincidences usually involve my being a sort of 'linchpin' for two people who I meet in two completely different places at different times, turning out to know each other.

When I was stationed in Germany in the early 1990's, my NCOIC was a woman from Vermont. Twenty-five years later, I'm living in Colorado, and I would walk around my neighborhood and I would see a woman who looked vaguely familiar, but could never place her. Facebook was taking off, people were looking each other up, and said sergeant found me and friended me. We chatted, and I had given her my address so she could send me a Christmas card, and she said, "This is too funny, you live around the corner from my sister!" The woman who looked vaguely familiar? That was the sister.

When I was stationed in Texas, I was in a unit with a woman from New Hampshire originally (and her married surname was quite unusual). She had spoken of going to school in a one-room schoolhouse until....third grade, I think she said? I hadn't quite believed this initially, since she and I were both born in the early 70s (so I thought one room schoolhouses were a thing of the past.) Twenty years later, I'm living in Colorado, and a temporary roommate was mentioning having grown up in New Hampshire. I remembered the Army soldier, and said, "Oh, I served with somebody from New Hampshire once. She told me that she went to school in a one-room schoolhouse until 3rd grade." Roommate went quiet, then said, "Was her name 'Jane Unusuallastname'?" I was surprised, and confirmed it, and asked how he knew. He had dated her older sister for several years in high school and they were still in touch. (He also confirmed the one-room schoolhouse part.)

I lived in Oklahoma for a while (mid 1990s), and had been friends with a group of people there. One was a woman who actually grew up in a small town in Arkansas near the state line. Again, in Colorado, I became friends with a married couple who turned out to have come from the same small town in Arkansas. The husband had dated the woman I'd known when they were in high school.

Another one of the Oklahoma friends was a guy from Colorado originally, but from the Western Slope. I'd made a friend up here, and when everybody was friending everybody else on Facebook, he saw the guy on my friend list, and asked how I'd met him. Turns out they had been roommates their freshmen year in college.

Living in Colorado, I made friends up here. Outside of my core group, I started dating a guy, and after a while, decided it was time for him to meet my friends. He and one of my girl friends had gone to high school together....in Florida. My boyfriend didn't quite remember my friend, but she definitely remembered him. As she put it, "You don't forget a guy who was six foot seven by our sophomore year!"

A former coworker of mine from here in Colorado did some moving around the country (last time we had worked together was early early 2000s), and wound up moving near my hometown (near St. Louis.) By chance, he moved to a town that my cousin lives in about seven years ago. His son and her daughter dated for a while. (Going to different colleges was pretty much the reason for breaking up.) They hadn't been aware that I was a 'common denominator' when it started. My cousin happened to be talking to him and he mentioned having worked for X company in Colorado. My cousin mentioned, that she'd had a cousin who'd worked there too. When she told him my name, he started laughing, because we'd worked on so many projects together.
To add another one that happened recently:

I went on a cruise to the Carribean last week. At one point, I was sitting next to an older couple, and we got to talking, and they mentioned living in X town five miles away from where I grew up. I mentioned this, and in the course of our talking, it turned out the husband worked at the same company my dad had....which prompted him to say, "Wait a minute....you grew up in X, your daddy worked for Y, and you live in Colorado now? You wouldn't be 'John Cardinal's' daughter, would you?" I confirmed yes, and the guy started laughing--he and my dad worked together for about 35 years before my dad retired (several years before this guy did), and every so often they see each other at the racetrack in the area. (I'd never met the man before.)

Old Today, 05:44 PM

274 posts, read 57,338 times
I had a girlfriend, we were engaged at the time, but she broke up with me latter. As I had been quite wounded, I began to write a diary. Of course, a lot of it was written there about her. But time passed by, I healed my wounds and moved on. Years later I married a blonde with beautiful green eyes with little brown spots with whom we have been now married for 38 years and have two adult children.
Several years ago, I found that diary that was forgotten somewhere and started reading it. In one part of the diary, I read something totally forgotten: it said that I had had a rather distinct dream, in which I saw beautiful green eyes with little brown spots. I clarified in that diary that it was strange because my ex's eyes were brown and those eyes were different and much more beautiful. The description exactly matches the eyes of who is my wife today.
BTW...She always said that from the moment she saw me, she had a premonition that I would be her husband.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal