Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2018, 01:43 AM

506 posts, read 510,437 times

Advertisements

I'm a logical person and wonder if Hat Man is a hallucination or something in the sleeper's brain waves that they see what isn't there.

Or is it making out the shadows in the dark and seeing what they want to see, like looking at clouds in the sky and trying to make images out of the clouds?

Or is Hat Man part of dreaming, but sometimes dreams feel real?

Give your opinions on "Hat Man."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 03:16 AM

413 posts, read 301,786 times
I think Hat Man is a guy who likes hats. I think he comes in when Freddie is away. It is simple replacement theory. Ok, no need to worry this is normal.

Old 04-14-2018, 06:47 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,654,219 times
He is the only destitute member of the Wayne Family. Headwear is all he can afford for a costume.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:00 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,028,242 times
Default To Actually Answer the Question...

I saw him once. It was a very strange night.

I had spent a lot of time online right before bedtime, reading about the Mothman. Bad choice. At about 2AM, our dog started barking and startled me awake. (Now, this was a greyhound who literally never barked without an extreme reason and had never barked in the night before.) About 30 seconds later, our fax machine rang and from the noise it was making, it was clearly receiving a fax.

I was lying in bed facing the window, and through the thin curtain, I saw what looked like the outline of about an eight foot man standing right outside. Just standing there. I got the impression of an old-style detective, and later I realized that was because it looked like he was wearing a fedora.

The next morning I saw that we had received a fax. The page was blank except to show the time stamp of the same time I had heard it ring, around 2AM, and the notation that it was from “Unknown Number.”

The Mothman Prophecies by John Keel is a fascinating, odd book that talks about how people can draw these types of experiences to themselves by dwelling on them. I fully believe this happened to me because I was obsessing over the Mothman that night.

Old 04-14-2018, 12:43 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
When I was 11, I was visiting my aunt, along with my older sister. We all decided to watch the late night horror movie, Phantom of the Opera.

My sister and I went to sleep in the same bed, and my aunt was big on drawing down the blinds. She had those roller shades. All down. Sometime in the middle of the night, I woke up and the shadow of man, lurking outside of the window. He was wearing a hat. For a minute, I couldn’t breathe or move. Then I poked my sister, turned to her and said “Someones outside the window” and she woke up enough to tell me I was dreaming, no one was there, go back to sleep. And I poked her again. She looked at me, but wouldn’t look at the window where the guy was standing. So I looked her, and she said trust me, no one is there, no one can be. I’ll prove it to you tomorrow.

When I looked at the window again, he was gone.

The next day, I didn’t let it go. And my aunt wasn’t very happy about my insisting I saw a man. They took me outside and showed me the window. Underneath the window was the cellar door, and the placement of window meant that guy would have had to be floating.

There was a wide set of stairs leading down to the basement, and to be standing at that window he would have had to have been 12 feet tall. And the yard sloped down from there, so if he had been standing outside the steps in the lawn, he wouldn’t have been in the window.

I hold to it. I saw what I saw.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:30 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
When I was 11, I was visiting my aunt, along with my older sister. We all decided to watch the late night horror movie, Phantom of the Opera.

My sister and I went to sleep in the same bed, and my aunt was big on drawing down the blinds. She had those roller shades. All down. Sometime in the middle of the night, I woke up and the shadow of man, lurking outside of the window. He was wearing a hat. For a minute, I couldn’t breathe or move. Then I poked my sister, turned to her and said “Someones outside the window” and she woke up enough to tell me I was dreaming, no one was there, go back to sleep. And I poked her again. She looked at me, but wouldn’t look at the window where the guy was standing. So I looked her, and she said trust me, no one is there, no one can be. I’ll prove it to you tomorrow.

When I looked at the window again, he was gone.

The next day, I didn’t let it go. And my aunt wasn’t very happy about my insisting I saw a man. They took me outside and showed me the window. Underneath the window was the cellar door, and the placement of window meant that guy would have had to be floating.

There was a wide set of stairs leading down to the basement, and to be standing at that window he would have had to have been 12 feet tall. And the yard sloped down from there, so if he had been standing outside the steps in the lawn, he wouldn’t have been in the window.

I hold to it. I saw what I saw.
That is scary as hell.

Old 04-15-2018, 04:18 AM

6,952 posts, read 6,877,619 times
I believe that Hat Man is somewhat similar to the Shaddow Man except that he is seen wearing a hat. Maybe they are cousins? I dont know, but I suspect that he is something which lives in the astral and we see him when we are in that in-between state between sleep and waking.

I feel that sometimes we are particularly open to other realities, maybe it is just a different state of mind, but when we are, then I feel that we can 'see' ghosties and other beings which live in those places. Of course, its all speculation, 'cos I dont really know.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:55 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,650 posts, read 16,138,284 times
Didn’t know the hat man was a thing, but- I confess, having just bed down, mid 80s, I saw a silhouette of a man in my hallway with a wide flat brim hat. Perhaps a long coat. Like the hallway lit up behind him. I covered my head with blanket. had the sensation that sheet under me was being pulled and I was gliding across bed. The last thing I remember. Next morning had shadowy memory of people coming through the walls, 2nd floor. Had to be hallucinations and dream or spirits and aliens. Take your choice. Other things happened on this property that are beyond explanation.

Last edited by saltine; 04-15-2018 at 11:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal