Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 06:18 AM

919 posts, read 609,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
You're arguing with someone who has very dogmatic and inflexible beliefs.
You're right. I was about to respond until I though, why bother? Some people choose to be ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2018, 09:36 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Well as someone who has seen a spirit and believes in spirits I can tell you that sometimes they mean no harm and they are simply relatives who have passed on and they check on us in times of our stress to make sure we are okay . When I was about 11 mom and dad moved into a rental property it was a big huge house had to be , it held all nine of us .About 6 months after we moved in , , at around midnight every night we would hear a thump , thump down the stairs this continued on for about a year then my mom had finally had enough . She went to the library and started researching about the house and there was a old lady librarian behind the desk and someone told her we were new in town and we had rented the old abbernathy place . That lady walked right up to my mom and told her you know about your house right ? my mother felt a cold chill up her back . The old lady proceeded to tell her that Doc Abernathy had the place built for his wife because she wanted a house full of kids . Well their toddler son fell down the stairs and broke his neck while trying to get his ball he died that night in the house . Doc s wife went crazy and hung herself . my mom came home that afternoon and told us to start packing she was not living in that house anymore . We moved a couple weeks later . Then about a year after we moved out the house started on fire and killed a man and his toddler son . The little old lady librarian told us that she believed the ghost of rose Abernathy did not want any more toddlers living in that house and she started it on fire . My mother never wanted to talk about spirits because my grandmother said she saw spirits and when ever my siblings and I would talk about them she would always say no more in this house .

Old 09-01-2018, 09:55 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
We've been suppressing our intuitive faculties, though. After 500 years of the Inquisition, then the "Enlightenment", on top of that, rationality won out, in the Western world, and intuition, and other means of knowing were purged, and labeled "woo", and scoffed at. Our senses are more narrowly-defined, than before.
Another way to look at it: the sensory input is the same, what's different as a result of 500 years of rationality in the West is the way we understand and process our senses, which sensory inputs we attend to, and which we ignore.

Old 09-03-2018, 11:15 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times
Thousands of murder victims die each year. Wouldn't the spirit of at least one of them come back to assist the police to seek justice for them? Wouldn't that be far more practical and useful than coming back to make some noise in the middle night, turning a doorknob, switching the light on and off, moving keys and sunglasses around?

Last edited by davidt1; 09-03-2018 at 11:30 AM..

Old 09-03-2018, 10:31 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Another way to look at it: the sensory input is the same, what's different as a result of 500 years of rationality in the West is the way we understand and process our senses, which sensory inputs we attend to, and which we ignore.
That's what I was saying, in a nutshell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal