Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 01:17 PM

6,740 posts, read 4,431,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
Yes, he's a famous skeptic.

I'm generally a skeptic too about these things, but I can't refute what I've experienced this week, and it's been utterly amazing. I'll take my own experience over an over-publicized skeptic anytime.
Your only as gullible as you let yourself be. I wouldnt say James Randi is over publicized. He's just tired of these types praying on people for money. You watch him once tear into these people, just once. He will set you straight on this. Remember a few years back, he made a $1 million bet for any psychic or reader to come forward and prove what they do is real. No one has come forward to take his challenge. But believe what you want.

"As humans we have a great ability to remember the hits and forget the misses. This is one of the reasons why psychics and fortune tellers are so successful. People don’t remember the THOUSANDS of incorrect guesses, but they remember the one or two that happened to “come true” by pure chance at some point down the road".

Last edited by RcHydro; 11-29-2018 at 01:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 02:00 PM

16,076 posts, read 28,587,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
Your only as gullible as you let yourself be. I wouldnt say James Randi is over publicized. He's just tired of these types praying on people for money. You watch him once tear into these people, just once. He will set you straight on this. Remember a few years back, he made a $1 million bet for any psychic or reader to come forward and prove what they do is real. No one has come forward to take his challenge. But believe what you want.

"As humans we have a great ability to remember the hits and forget the misses. This is one of the reasons why psychics and fortune tellers are so successful. People don’t remember the THOUSANDS of incorrect guesses, but they remember the one or two that happened to “come true” by pure chance at some point down the road".
Last time I heard psychics referred to as fortune tellers was on the board walk in 6th grade.

Why would any reputable pyshic come forward? Explaining how informations derived much different than proof. He knew this prior to extending his million dollar deal.

Tarot readings are dependant on the readers level of experience and interpretation. Like everything else requiring experience you'll come across the good, as well as the bad.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:48 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,971,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Last time I heard psychics referred to as fortune tellers was on the board walk in 6th grade.

Why would any reputable pyshic come forward? Explaining how informations derived much different than proof. He knew this prior to extending his million dollar deal.

Tarot readings are dependant on the readers level of experience and interpretation. Like everything else requiring experience you'll come across the good, as well as the bad.
That's what I saw. I met the person I knew when I was 18, and I was in my mid 20's the last time I saw him. I think he had cut back on reading Tarot the last time I saw him. But it's been 24 years since I saw him.
Somebody taught him how to read the cards. And he got better at it as time went on when I first knew him. And some times he would come out and say he was getting nothing. And you could tell the person who's cards were being read didn't care, or believe what he was doing. But that did not happen very often.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:05 AM

30,205 posts, read 11,859,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BijouBaby View Post
I've always wondered about tarot and whether it is a legit. tool for devinating the future.
So, tarot.... What's the deal?

I would think if they were real there would be endless successful people claiming their success came from Tarot card readings. Yet I am not aware Bill Gates, Oprah or even moderately successful people who attribute the cards to their good fortune. Yet I have know people who use the cards all the time or pay for others to do a reading and none of them seemed to have much of an edge at all on anyone.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:48 AM

5,194 posts, read 1,882,276 times
No, it is not real. Along with things like NDE's, astrology, psychics and mediums, auric reading and the like.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I would think if they were real there would be endless successful people claiming their success came from Tarot card readings. Yet I am not aware Bill Gates, Oprah or even moderately successful people who attribute the cards to their good fortune. Yet I have know people who use the cards all the time or pay for others to do a reading and none of them seemed to have much of an edge at all on anyone.
Why does it have to be about an edge, or you attaining some level of foresight for success.
When my friend read the cards for me they would always shows sticks, and the wealthy old man on the throne.
When the lady that taught him how to read the cards read my cards none of that would come up. But she was very unhappy for me. And thirty years later my life is sh*t so she was being nice about it!

Old 12-07-2018, 07:57 AM

99 posts, read 52,125 times
Put up a link.

Old 12-07-2018, 07:46 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,906,669 times
Yes.. The answers to all the secrets of the world can be found in a deck of card printed in a factory in China

Old 12-07-2018, 08:10 PM

30,205 posts, read 11,859,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
Why does it have to be about an edge, or you attaining some level of foresight for success.
When my friend read the cards for me they would always shows sticks, and the wealthy old man on the throne.
When the lady that taught him how to read the cards read my cards none of that would come up. But she was very unhappy for me. And thirty years later my life is sh*t so she was being nice about it!
So you are saying if you have your cards read and they indicate you are going to be a failure you might as well pack up and go home? No chance anything will go well?

I think success comes down to either being born into the right family or simply working smart and hard and achieving success. People I have known in either situation have done fine.

If you want to do a scientific study take a random group of 18 year olds. Do readings and then check back 30 years later and see how it turns out.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
So you are saying if you have your cards read and they indicate you are going to be a failure you might as well pack up and go home? No chance anything will go well?

I think success comes down to either being born into the right family or simply working smart and hard and achieving success. People I have known in either situation have done fine.

If you want to do a scientific study take a random group of 18 year old. Do readings and then check back 30 years later and see how it turns out.
No.

In no way am I saying what you perceived.

Working smart. Ha. Run around like a madman is more like it. Along with almost no patience.

Yeah, when I was 20 like most 20 year olds I was really thinking 30 years out about what tarot cards were saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal