Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 02:40 PM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times

Advertisements

someone told me about this at work today, and I found it to be scientifically interesting....

Doomsday in 2012?: Viewzone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 10:32 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,311,239 times
It's about as likely as Y2K.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:44 PM

18,021 posts, read 27,468,060 times
No. I can't get with that. It would make more since if it were December 21, 2112.

I think we'll know more after the 6th season of LOST.

I'd also agree that KY2 made more sense than this.

Gotta go, the sky is falling...

Old 02-28-2008, 02:47 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,757,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
someone told me about this at work today, and I found it to be scientifically interesting....

Doomsday in 2012?: Viewzone
Old news, literally been around nearly forever. I consider it about as reliable as all the other doomsday predictions and promises of rapture that have happened. Oh wait...we're still here.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:16 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,311,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Old news, literally been around nearly forever. I consider it about as reliable as all the other doomsday predictions and promises of rapture that have happened. Oh wait...we're still here.
yeah.

I remember going down to DC for a school trip about a month or two before it was 2000, and there were SOOOOOO many people predicting the end of the world. If I was gullible, I probably would have believed it, due to the masses of people that honestly believed it was the end.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:09 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
OK, here is why it isn't a big deal. Much is made of the mass of Jupiter being large enough to move the rotational point of the solar system slightly outside the interior of the sun; therefore creating tides within the sun, and sunspots, etc. on a twelve year cycle. The panic goes on that since all the other planets will line up with Jupiter, AND the system will be aligned with the plane of the galaxy, that the forces will be enough to rip the sun apart or at least create devastating solar events.

The missing factoid is that Jupiter is more than twice as massive as all the other planets combined (the mass of Jupiter is 318 times that of Earth). The effect of alignment with the plane of the galaxy might add a little more push/pull, BUT there have been planetary alignments before, AND the extra mass is insignificant compared to the mass of Jupiter, AND events like this don't suddenly happen in an instant. The planets move into position, inch by inch, step by step over a period of time, like the cosmic comedians that they are, and then move out of position in an equally measured fashion.

Shakespeare was onto something in King Lear, when he denounced the hubris of people stating that their actions were dictated by the stars, and that the shortcomings of humanity would be punished by them. What an inflation of importance. We are more likely to have disasters from the clash of the giant egos of world leaders than we are by the alignment of planets.

For entertainment sometime, look up how many times the Jehovah's Witness leaders have predicted the end time. Plenty of people are more than willing to profit from fear and scare themselves into self-rapture.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:20 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Oooogy, Booogy, Booogy!

Old 02-28-2008, 05:33 PM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
I don't think it's scary, but rather found it scientifically interesting, and was wondering if, in fact, it were possible...what will be will be...that is besides the facts this article is projecting...love history and science, and found the article interesting...will it happen? Prolly not...

Old 02-28-2008, 05:58 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,840,568 times
Hey, here's a food for thought for you. That is also the Mayan calendar event, maybe somebody new that Betelgeuse (the red giant in Orion constellation) had already exploded and that the light would reach us on that date as a super nova event, blowing away our atmosphere and everybody with it. Wouldn't that be a show?

Old 02-28-2008, 09:36 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Speaking of things the Ancients apparently knew:

History of the Dogons....Ancient Astronauts.... ET Reality News

I apologize in advance for the black-on-white. I will never understand why anyone would create a web site with this text/background combination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal