Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 04:36 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I think its premature to 'define' them as being 'another separate civilization, from somewhere else'....we dont know if thats accurate or not.

They may 'come/originate' from a 'place', that we didnt even know existed, it may not be another planet, another dimension, etc etc. it may be something else entirely, something we cannot even define.
It's premature to define them as anything. A definition would require evidence, and we have none. It's all speculation at this point. UFOs could be ...

Extraterrestrial visitors from another star.

Visitors from another dimension.

Time-traveler's from our future on a quest to retrieve Twinkies and Bob Marley records.

Atlanteans from the Hollow Earth.

A natural phenomenon we simply haven't discovered yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 10:47 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
It's premature to define them as anything. A definition would require evidence, and we have none. It's all speculation at this point. UFOs could be ...

Extraterrestrial visitors from another star.

Visitors from another dimension.

Time-traveler's from our future on a quest to retrieve Twinkies and Bob Marley records.

Atlanteans from the Hollow Earth.

A natural phenomenon we simply haven't discovered yet.
Whatever they are, one thing is clear...they have been here for a very long time!

Id like to hear some new theories on this, Mark S listed the ones that are most common today, but I have to imagine there are many other theories...

Old 09-15-2019, 02:15 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Whatever they are, one thing is clear...they have been here for a very long time!

Id like to hear some new theories on this, Mark S listed the ones that are most common today, but I have to imagine there are many other theories...
And how do we know that besides from programs like "Ancient Aliens"?

How can you acknowledge Mark S theories and ignore his last theory: "A natural phenomenon we simply haven't discovered yet."? The "U" in UFO does not stand for alien!

Old 09-15-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
And how do we know that besides from programs like "Ancient Aliens"?

How can you acknowledge Mark S theories and ignore his last theory: "A natural phenomenon we simply haven't discovered yet."? The "U" in UFO does not stand for alien!
Im not ignoring it. I made the comment about 'them' being here a long time, because we have numerous incidents from historical times, which are basically the same thing that is happening today, the descriptions are a little different, but people from that time use things they are familiar with when describing something, so when you take that into consideration, its easy to grasp what they are trying to describe.

Old 09-15-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Im not ignoring it. I made the comment about 'them' being here a long time, because we have numerous incidents from historical times, which are basically the same thing that is happening today, the descriptions are a little different, but people from that time use things they are familiar with when describing something, so when you take that into consideration, its easy to grasp what they are trying to describe.
It all depends on the presentation; like 'Ancient Aliens'. Somebody else could simply write off many of these historical incidents as human literary license. Ancient Aliens is a show; just like PT Barnum. You appeal to the masses and their fears and you keep them paying the bills.

Recently new evidence came to light on how the ancient Egyptians build the pyramids. That will never be featured on Ancient Aliens. It fits their narrative that the gods floated the heavy huge blocks into place.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:00 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
I love ANCIENT ALIENS, but in the same way I love Jack Van Impe and Pee Wee Herman. The ridiculous entertains me.

The basic premise of ANCIENT ALIENS are others of its ilk displays a really remarkable cluelessness about human nature. Consider this:

Three thousand years from now, what if our descendants find copies of the Marvel Comics Movies and are able to watch them. Some anthropologist or armchair "historian" will say, "Ah-ha! Look at this! Civilizations of the 21st century told stories about humans with super powers, gods visiting the Earth, aliens from distant worlds, and impenetrable leotards. Why would they possibly come up with these stories unless such things existed and they knew it?"

Well, nimrod, that's because humans love to tell stories and we have great imaginations. Just because someone in the Middle Ages put a unicorn in a manuscript doesn't "prove" the existence of unicorns any more than George Lucas putting lightsabers in a movie proves the existence of lightsabers.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I love ANCIENT ALIENS, but in the same way I love Jack Van Impe and Pee Wee Herman. The ridiculous entertains me.

The basic premise of ANCIENT ALIENS are others of its ilk displays a really remarkable cluelessness about human nature. Consider this:

Three thousand years from now, what if our descendants find copies of the Marvel Comics Movies and are able to watch them. Some anthropologist or armchair "historian" will say, "Ah-ha! Look at this! Civilizations of the 21st century told stories about humans with super powers, gods visiting the Earth, aliens from distant worlds, and impenetrable leotards. Why would they possibly come up with these stories unless such things existed and they knew it?"

Well, nimrod, that's because humans love to tell stories and we have great imaginations. Just because someone in the Middle Ages put a unicorn in a manuscript doesn't "prove" the existence of unicorns any more than George Lucas putting lightsabers in a movie proves the existence of lightsabers.
Thats exactly why I do not watch Ancient Aliens, it may be entertaining, but imo, they are too much about the entertainment, they are part of the reason why this is not taken seriously.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:46 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
I have a friend who has a theory about Time Travel. He speculates that at some point in the future (for us) someone invents Time Travel, and what we think are ghosts are actually manifestations of people traveling back in time. That some beings are clearer and more tangible than others is because as the method of Time Travel improved, so did the manifestations that we would think of as ghosts.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I have a friend who has a theory about Time Travel. He speculates that at some point in the future (for us) someone invents Time Travel, and what we think are ghosts are actually manifestations of people traveling back in time. That some beings are clearer and more tangible than others is because as the method of Time Travel improved, so did the manifestations that we would think of as ghosts.
Thats basically the theory in relation to UFOs too, and actually I think its a pretty good theory, it would explain nearly everything when you go down the 'checklist' for commonalities among UFO sightings/reports.

The only thing that would still be a problem is the beings themselves, they look so much different than us, but then again, if they are from 10s of 1000s of years in the future, or even more, that may be what normal humans look like then, IDK?

Old 09-17-2019, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
It would be impossible to predict what we could accomplish in our future. Right now our best scientist are more confident that we could travel ahead in time: https://spaceplace.nasa.gov/review/d...me-travel.html. But according to that link and others I have found: "Time travel to the past is more difficult. We do not understand the science as well." Possibly we will at sometime in our future or maybe it is simply impossible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal