Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 03:54 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I always thought it was Smokey the Bear, but just Yogi Bear (not Yogi the Bear). I guess we learn something new every day.
Apparently a popular song in 1952 was responsible for people starting to call him Smokey the Bear:

https://smokeybear.com/en/smokeys-hi...tory-of-smokey

The song as sung by yodelin' Eddie Arnold complete with drawing of a grinnin' kid hung up on a branch:

https://youtu.be/Myz93sXW66Y

Darn that Eddie. Darn him all to heck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2020, 04:14 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
"I always see these when I'm by myself, never when I'm with someone." ~ Paul Freeman during the filming of BigFoot, 1994, Walla Walla, WA, Blue Mountains

Old 08-19-2020, 11:57 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The problem I would have with thinking that an area was a hot spot in the 70s and 80s is all the changes that have happened after that time. Take your Boone County, KY area. Look at the sprawling cities and suburbia to the north and east of where I presume you would want to hike. I would bet the map was very different 40 or 50 years ago.

There is really not that much forest left. Yes, you might be able to walk six miles from close to the edge of Burlington to down to Hathaway Road; but you would still cross dirt roads and power lines. Then, if some of this property is open to hunt, many hunters would have trail cameras all over the place. There is simply too much human population too close to make this a great hiding place for a large creature.
Actually the area down there where Boone Cliffs and also Middle Creek park (which is much larger), is not very close to residential areas in either direction.

Middle Creek park is right before you get to the VERY small town of Belleview, I dated a girl from this city years ago, there is like 15 families that live here and thats it, it hasnt changed much in 25 yrs either, the only store they have is the little Belleview grocery store, there isnt another retail, gas or convenience store within about 20 miles in any direction. Actually the time I had that baby deer run in front of my car late at night years ago, I was driving the ex-GF home to Belleview and it happened on Burlington Pike, out near the parks, (this is when I thought a baby giraffe had run across the road. LOL) Im still not sure why I thought it was a baby giraffe!

Boone Cliffs is closer to residential areas, but even that park is pretty remote.

I havent been to either of these parks in quite a while, I was surprised to see on Google, there are many recent reviews and Middle creek seems to get a lot of people, kind of strange, all those people hiking and NO ONE claiming to see a Bigfoot?!! Whats up with that I wonder?

Old 08-20-2020, 01:55 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Actually the area down there where Boone Cliffs and also Middle Creek park (which is much larger), is not very close to residential areas in either direction.

Middle Creek park is right before you get to the VERY small town of Belleview, I dated a girl from this city years ago, there is like 15 families that live here and thats it, it hasnt changed much in 25 yrs either, the only store they have is the little Belleview grocery store, there isnt another retail, gas or convenience store within about 20 miles in any direction. Actually the time I had that baby deer run in front of my car late at night years ago, I was driving the ex-GF home to Belleview and it happened on Burlington Pike, out near the parks, (this is when I thought a baby giraffe had run across the road. LOL) Im still not sure why I thought it was a baby giraffe!

Boone Cliffs is closer to residential areas, but even that park is pretty remote.

I havent been to either of these parks in quite a while, I was surprised to see on Google, there are many recent reviews and Middle creek seems to get a lot of people, kind of strange, all those people hiking and NO ONE claiming to see a Bigfoot?!! Whats up with that I wonder?
Do you have Google Earth Pro? It is a free program: https://google-earth-pro.en.softonic.com/download. If you go to the towns to the north of your park like Florence and zoom in to where you can see the sprawling suburbia surrounding the town and other nearby communities you can then hit historical data on the top left of their screen. You can roll back the images to the year 1993 and thus 'see' exactly how much an area has changed. Earth is not the only program that allows one to see the past: https://gisgeography.com/free-histor...agery-viewers/.

You can be correct that the immediate area has not changed; but nearby populations have soared since the 1970's and 1980's BF sightings. You are not the only one that likes to hike. There are many that like to hike, to hunt, to fish, and just explore the wilderness. That area, without being crossed by a road, only measures about six miles by four miles. That space also has powerlines and small roads. Since the surrounding human population has increased it is only logical to assume (a word I do not like to use) that area has changed just from the number of human visitors. Also, in the past 25 years, I would also assume that more humans have set up trail cameras to capture pictures of wildlife and maybe trespassers? Our technology has improved over those years.

Anyway, enjoy your hike! Possibly we could spot your vehicle on the new Earth pictures? I can see and have seen our vehicles and clothes hanging on our clothes line! Of course it depends on whether they are taking aerial photos the day you go.

Old 08-20-2020, 04:37 AM

5,675 posts, read 5,885,028 times
Quote:

Pretty simple actually, hes not there. Nothing mysterious about that. He doesnt live everywhere.

Old 08-21-2020, 04:32 AM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
A recent news story confirms that wolverines have returned to the forest of Mount Rainier with very clear photographs of a mother with two kits. There are only between 300-1000 of these animals in the lower 48. They are extremely elusive and shy away from people.
These rare and shy animals are a small fraction of the size of big foot yet a single mother with 2 babies in the middle of a forest have been photographed and confirmed for the first time in 100 years. Now, you can't tell me if a single wolverine can be spotted and clearly photographed in the Mount Rainier area Big Foot can't too if it existed.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/wo...cid=uxbndlbing

Old 08-21-2020, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
A recent news story confirms that wolverines have returned to the forest of Mount Rainier with very clear photographs of a mother with two kits. There are only between 300-1000 of these animals in the lower 48. They are extremely elusive and shy away from people.
These rare and shy animals are a small fraction of the size of big foot yet a single mother with 2 babies in the middle of a forest have been photographed and confirmed for the first time in 100 years. Now, you can't tell me if a single wolverine can be spotted and clearly photographed in the Mount Rainier area Big Foot can't too if it existed.

Actually my late wife and I spotted one close to the road in Arizona back in 2001 when we took a month's trip to the Western National Parks. I think that was in the 28 mile Petrified Forest loop open to visitors. I was not aware that there were so few that lived in the lower 48 until you just posted now. I might even have a picture of the wolverine on an old computer hard drive. It was the first and only time that we ever saw one and just figured that everybody out West was familiar with them.

On the other side of the coin we never saw one bear or wolf while we were out there; but we were always looking for one. We did not believe there were many wolves out there; but we did not look up the statistics.

Old 08-21-2020, 08:24 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:

Wolverines are not intelligent hominids either.

That is cool about the wolverines coming back though, you definitely dont want to encounter one and come between its food or its young...they are said to be vicious when threatened.

Old 08-21-2020, 11:32 AM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Wolverines are not intelligent hominids either.

That is cool about the wolverines coming back though, you definitely dont want to encounter one and come between its food or its young...they are said to be vicious when threatened.
You're assuming a big foot although a hominid is intelligent enough to stay away from trail cams and drones and to know what these things are when spotted. They would have no idea these things take pictures much less know what a picture is. The fact that no tools have ever been found such as spears, and even wooden shanks used for knives have ever been found attributed to an unknown hominid in the PNW shows very limited intelligence on their part. The best case scenario is that they use rocks and broken sticks as tools. If they do exist, at best they are likely have a similar intelligence as a chimpanzee on a good day and more than likely not as intelligent as a chimp or orangutan

Last edited by marino760; 08-21-2020 at 11:52 AM..

Old 08-21-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
You're assuming a big foot although a hominid is intelligent enough to stay away from trail cams and drones and to know what these things are when spotted. That's not very likely unless they've been taught what these things are. The fact that no tools have ever been found such as spears, arrows and even wooden shanks used for knives have ever been found attributed to an unknown hominid in the PNW shows very limited intelligence on their part. The best case scenario is that they use rocks as tools. If they do exist, they most likely have a similar intelligence as a chimpanzee on a good day.
If you just Bing or Google "trail camera pictures of chimpanzees in Africa" you will see many clear pictures. In only a few cases do you see the animals actually looking at the cameras; not that it could not happen. But in most of the pictures the animals are oblivious to the trail cameras.

Speculating that Big Foot is too smart to have its picture taken by one of these cameras is simply speculation with no facts to back up your assertions. Logically, if the millions of trail cameras cannot capture one clear picture of a Big Foot, then none exist. You just stated: "they most likely have a similar intelligence as a chimpanzee on a good day." Plenty of these 'smart chimpanzees' were not smart enough to avoid getting their pictures taken!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal