Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many people on C-D believe in the Paranormal?
I have no doubt in my mind that the paranormal exists because I myself have had an experience(s) 21 39.62%
I believe in the paranormal because a credible source has told me their own compelling experience(s) 10 18.87%
I do not believe in the paranormal because I have never had an experience and/or I do not think other stories are credible 22 41.51%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 07:53 PM

71 posts, read 104,480 times

Advertisements

Lets try this again...

Poll explanations:

Option 1: You yourself have seen, heard, or felt something that you would consider paranormal (ghost, apparition, demon, spirit...etc.)

Option 2: You yourself have not seen anything paranormal, but have been told by a credible source (family member or friend-NOT online or hearsay) about their own exerience, which leads you to believe in the paranormal

Option 3: You yourself have never seen, heard, or felt anything paranormal, or have never heard a story from a credible source compelling enough to convince you, which leads you to believe that paranormal happenings do not exist.

Oh, and feel free to share your experiences below, since there is no official thread for Paranormal reportings.

Last edited by LifeIsWeird; 07-10-2011 at 08:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 08:04 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,038 times
Why would I believe in "paranormal" when "normal" seems to elude understanding?

Old 07-10-2011, 08:32 PM

2,705 posts, read 3,120,015 times
I do, insofar as the contents of Christian belief can be categorized as "paranormal."

Old 07-10-2011, 08:45 PM

460 posts, read 592,978 times
I don't like polls, as polls are often skewed to meet a particular, pre-established criteria-to-be-exemplified or agenda.

I have already posted my paranormal experiences throughout this forum.

In a way, my "paranormal" is normal.

Dusty, thank you. I needed a great pick-me-up in the middle of a dreary day.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:49 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallisdj View Post
I don't like polls, as polls are often skewed to meet a particular, pre-established criteria-to-be-exemplified or agenda.

I have already posted my paranormal experiences throughout this forum.

In a way, my "paranormal" is normal.

Dusty, thank you. I needed a great pick-me-up in the middle of a dreary day.
You are most certainly welcome!

Old 07-10-2011, 08:54 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,856,786 times
I have a playful ghost in my house that has been here for years. lights are turned on regularly, fans, things moved. and probably the weirdest was the home phone called me when I was in the drive and no one was in the house.... I regret I didn't answer it... I was so surprised and showed the roomie who was standing next to me.

Ah well guess I've seen some odd things in my day so its all good. I would be curious to see a UFO / alien though....assuming they visit here.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:56 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,893,780 times
I have experienced what you guys would consider the paranormal, but I do not find my experiences or the experiences of others as credible support for the existence of the paranormal.

It is a fallacy to think if someone could only experience the paranormal, they'd believe in it. I've experienced it and don't believe in the paranormal.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:19 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,551,673 times
Going by what I've read by you I'd say what you (Hueffenhardt) experienced was probably not paranormal, you just thought it was paranormal at the time. Paranormal appears to mean "not in accordance with scientific laws" or beyond-science. If you believe what happened to you is really not explainable by science, or is beyond science, than okay you experienced the paranormal and do not "believe in it" in the sense that you don't trust it. That would mean you feel there is a paranormal presence or being or whatever, but it's untrustworthy and gives inaccurate information. However I didn't think that's how you saw your experience, but I admit you never really said you didn't see it as such.

I admit I tend to think of "paranormal" as either things not explainable by any system or as pseudoscientific "powers." On the whole I don't believe in that. Maybe there are things that have no explanation at all, but I guess ideally I'd say everything has either a natural or supernatural explanation. And I don't normally believe in ghosts or superpowers. Still if paranormal means "not explainable by science" than yes I believe in that. If it means "not explainable by current science" I think everyone would have to believe in that because we know there are some phenomena in the Universe that have not yet been explained. To be honest I'd think the word would seem to imply "beyond the normal" and if it meant that than it's obvious there's a paranormal. There are galaxies far larger/grander than normal, extrasolar planets in orbits unlike any other, etc.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:29 PM

71 posts, read 104,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsWeird View Post
Lets try this again...

Hmm, a lot more people voted in the Great Debates Forum

50-something views on this thread and only 10 votes? Why are people so hesitant to talk about this subject?

, the votes are anonymous, if that matters.

Last edited by june 7th; 07-12-2011 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: Please refrein from using ''red' as it is reserved for mod cuts. Any other color is okay. Thanks!

Old 07-11-2011, 04:06 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,802,305 times
I can't vote in this, though I'd reading the responses, because my view isn't an option. I agree with Hueffenhardt (as usual): "It is a fallacy to think if someone could only experience the paranormal, they'd believe in it."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal