Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 11:52 PM

11 posts, read 15,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
How about basing yourselves in Cambridge for the summer? Historic and interesting city, highly walkable (and bike-able)! Close to Norfolk (by car and by train). Handy for London also by fast train. You might be able to get cheap accommodation in student halls while the students are out on summer break.
Thanks, I looked into it and Cambridge looked really nice. I'm seriously going to consider it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 06:08 AM

34 posts, read 100,636 times
sorry but Norfolk has a reputation in UK for being inbred and full of country oikes, not to mention fattest part of England . Lovely place though... kind of. Very flat.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:12 AM

134 posts, read 302,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
... you know what they say about people from Norfolk? Oooh arrrrr.
Which makes people from Norfolk cringe.

'Oooh Arrrr' is a Somerset phrase.

The BBC (or some bone-idle producer who was too lazy to research the local dialect) invented 'Mummerzet' for use in films set in Norfolk.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:55 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,939,929 times
New Orleans is hardly the Cajun area of Louisana.Its main influence is french-creole. The funeral is just that; not typical cajun funeral. The heart of cajun louisana is east and centers on breaux bridge/lafayette area. The cooking is more country and quite different from that in new orleans really. The cajun dishes are really a adaptation of cajun in new orleans. The main cooking new orleans is know for is french cooking with creole adaptation.Even the accent of native new orleanians is quite different really.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:59 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,876,326 times
The people in England are warmer than their climate and, the biggest bit of adaptation you will endure is in the food department, you are used to really good, spicy food, after Louisiana cooking it will seem that you have gone on a bland food and milk toast diet. Were it not for chinese or italian take out (take-away, in their parlance) I suspect half the country would starve.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:41 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,325,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
I suspect half the country would starve.
I suspect your opinion is thirty years out of date.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:11 AM

16,686 posts, read 17,457,574 times
I agree Hengist.

That said, if you like Montreal Salt, as I do, bring it with you. Same probably goes for any other specialty seasoning you may like.

Last edited by Jezer; 04-17-2011 at 03:27 AM..

Old 04-17-2011, 09:43 AM

128 posts, read 243,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
The people in England are warmer than their climate and, the biggest bit of adaptation you will endure is in the food department, you are used to really good, spicy food, after Louisiana cooking it will seem that you have gone on a bland food and milk toast diet. Were it not for chinese or italian take out (take-away, in their parlance) I suspect half the country would starve.
I agree with half the country starving if they got rid of takeaways, but include Indians and Fish and Chip shops. I'm not one of them by the way, i like cooking

Old 04-17-2011, 10:42 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,292,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisisZackary View Post
... the city is known for ...the BEST food on the planet...

Not really. New Orleans is known for jazz, partying and a certain bead tradition.

The food is known to be good - spicey and finger-lickin' good, but not the best on the planet.

Now your funerals - yeah, nothing that I have ever heard of tops those (and the above ground graveyards!)

Old 04-19-2011, 12:05 PM

109 posts, read 204,452 times
I love NOLA and I think Cambridge is a good idea for you since you have done the London thing. You will just be another American, unless you have a serious Cajun accent then people would be confused. Are you actually Cajun or just using the term?

Louisiana, Texas, and Florida are my favorite states in the US. People from other countries tend to go to certain places and really don't know much about these places or have total misconceptions about what they are like. NOLA is a great place and I love Texas too. The Gulf is just neat in general.

BTW. a word of advice. Do not, I repeat do not go to any restaurants in the UK, that is restaurants claiming to have Mexican, Tex-Max Cajun or Creole food. It simply does not exist there. Oh they have the names, but the food is not anything like the real food.

Enjoy your trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom