Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 05:12 AM

339 posts, read 1,263,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblueeyes01 View Post

Old 12-21-2008, 11:19 AM

163 posts, read 321,035 times

YouTube - Dumb American Blonde

Ok, this is more than enough proof, ill stop now..............

Old 12-21-2008, 11:38 AM

61 posts, read 119,123 times
I believe Obama's Mama's lineage has been traced to 17th century Ireland. Just heresay. Most American blacks and whites have a tinge of Native American and English or Scots-Irish. Of course as has been mention we have lots of everything here. Most Scandinavians have their own clubs - Sons of Norway for example. We still have folks here who speak their native tongue after many generations, almost exclusively, such as the Amish, southern Cajun (Arcadians in Nova Scotia), some Slavic and Mediterranean families. But there is still the overwhelming connection with our Anglo/Celtic roots via lanuage and pervasive social structure, albeit modified.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:44 AM

61 posts, read 119,123 times
We don't get that famous elixer you get there. We get some very good Scotch here, but a friend O'mine said you keep the really good stuff for yourselves. Same with Mexican tequila and (slurp) Irish Guinness, Jamaican rums. All available for a ransome here, but we usually have to travel to enjoy the great stuff.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:26 PM

200 posts, read 1,009,021 times
As a neutral who's lived in both countries I find the Brits and Americans to be almost diametrically opposed.

Americans are supreme optimists. In the states there are "Gee I can't wait to fill my already half full glass with this wonderful beverage" people and simply glass half full people.

Brits are born cynics. You got glass half empty people and "who's the bastard who drunk half my pint" people.

I like to have friends from both sides of the atlantic to balance each other out.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:51 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,153,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinaYanksbody View Post
I was being your advocate, young lady. I thought you made an interesting point. Let's not take ourselves too seriously here. We're all just jousting a bit . . .
Yes I was mostly joking....except for the brief history review
As for accents, well even Americans prefer almost any British accent to an American regional accent (ie. Southern accents...:shudders:.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental_complex View Post
Who doesn't American bash now a days? It's sad because Americans really like the Brits.
I think Americans like almost anyone who likes us...and many of the ones who don't like us we simply pretend to return the dislike out of hurt feelings (ie. the French).

Old 12-21-2008, 03:18 PM

728 posts, read 1,679,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
Yes I was mostly joking....except for the brief history review
As for accents, well even Americans prefer almost any British accent to an American regional accent (ie. Southern accents...:shudders:.).

I think Americans like almost anyone who likes us...and many of the ones who don't like us we simply pretend to return the dislike out of hurt feelings (ie. the French).
Actually, some of us Americans prefer regional dialect. I'll take a southern accent anytime over Southern California, "valley girl" dialect.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:43 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,153,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
Actually, some of us Americans prefer regional dialect. I'll take a southern accent anytime over Southern California, "valley girl" dialect.
If you're trying to insult me, sorry, didn't work . I have the "non-accent" accent that most Californians posses.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:49 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,123,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinaYanksbody View Post
I believe Obama's Mama's lineage has been traced to 17th century Ireland. Just heresay. Most American blacks and whites have a tinge of Native American and English or Scots-Irish. Of course as has been mention we have lots of everything here. Most Scandinavians have their own clubs - Sons of Norway for example. We still have folks here who speak their native tongue after many generations, almost exclusively, such as the Amish, southern Cajun (Arcadians in Nova Scotia), some Slavic and Mediterranean families. But there is still the overwhelming connection with our Anglo/Celtic roots via lanuage and pervasive social structure, albeit modified.
McCain's links to Scottish king shot down by experts Paul Lewis guardian.co.uk, Thursday 20 March 2008 21.21 GMT Article history

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 12-23-2008 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: Please do not post copyrighted material

Old 12-21-2008, 03:56 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,930,055 times
I'm an American with Irish ancestry (my moms side) and I've had the opportunity to work with and have as friends several Brits living in the US. These guys are tops, however, when they first came over here they did nothing but criticize the way we drive, houses too big, too much this and that- you get the picture. Now that they've been here for several years, they've become Americanized and the change from my perception, is pretty funny. I'm glad they're here.

Americans can be a bunch are braggarts and perhaps could use some education in the ways of the world, however, you wont find a better friend when the chips are down and you need a help...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom