Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 04:00 PM

465 posts, read 1,417,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
Yes I was mostly joking....except for the brief history review
As for accents, well even Americans prefer almost any British accent to an American regional accent (ie. Southern accents...:shudders:.).
Have you ever heard someone from the south over a loudspeaker system. It doesn't help a headache very much.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:50 PM

61 posts, read 119,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bail_Khan View Post
Have you ever heard someone from the south over a loudspeaker system. It doesn't help a headache very much.
As bad as Dame Edna?

Old 12-22-2008, 06:56 AM

200 posts, read 1,008,358 times
Yorkshire is my favourite british accent. They sound less than excited about the world but still manage to be funny in their dour tones. I like the Scottish accent too as hard as some regions are to understand.

I think New York is my favourite US accent. I know not eveyone will agree on that one. It's an accent made for comedy.

And what's wrong with Dame Edna?

Old 12-22-2008, 08:14 AM

Default There's naught wrong with Dame Edna, officially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsaintkilda View Post
Yorkshire is my favourite british accent. They sound less than excited about the world but still manage to be funny in their dour tones. I like the Scottish accent too as hard as some regions are to understand.

I think New York is my favourite US accent. I know not eveyone will agree on that one. It's an accent made for comedy.

And what's wrong with Dame Edna?
Ach, I dinnae ken . . . tilt of her kilt? Dame's hilarious in interviews but performing at the Met?

Old 12-22-2008, 07:50 PM

465 posts, read 1,417,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinaYanksbody View Post
As bad as Dame Edna?
For me probably, I'm from the south and I will likely never be able to be fully rid of all accent.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:17 AM

Default So. Gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bail_Khan View Post
For me probably, I'm from the south and I will likely never be able to be fully rid of all accent.
Nothing wrong with a southern accent per se. Virginians, No. Carolinians, just to name a few have what I'd call a distinct, "genteel" dialect. I especially like the classic Tennessean accent shared by whites and blacks there. Remember Elvis' accent? Who isn't a sucker for the accent of a cute southern belle? Ohhhhhhh mama.

I have noticed that "redneck" sounds the same, whether you're from Mississippi, Nebraska or California. Central Oregon has a definite redneck twang among the old-timers. How is that possible? When the Okies dispersed during the dust bowl era, they swarmed the fertile river bottoms and valleys in (mainly) the western states. I have lot's of relatives from Oklahoma, Missouri and Arkansas. Dang!

Old 12-23-2008, 11:30 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,113,777 times
Quote:
Nothing wrong with a southern accent per se. Virginians, No. Carolinians, just to name a few have what I'd call a distinct, "genteel" dialect. I especially like the classic Tennessean accent shared by whites and blacks there. Remember Elvis' accent? Who isn't a sucker for the accent of a cute southern belle? Ohhhhhhh mama.

I have noticed that "redneck" sounds the same, whether you're from Mississippi, Nebraska or California. Central Oregon has a definite redneck twang among the old-timers. How is that possible? When the Okies dispersed during the dust bowl era, they swarmed the fertile river bottoms and valleys in (mainly) the western states. I have lot's of relatives from Oklahoma, Missouri and Arkansas. Dang!

My fiance was born a town called Amory, MS near Tupelo. He lived there for 9 years then lived in Georgia, Kentucky and South Carolina for a while before moving to Scotland so his accent is southern but mixed. He doesn't sound like a redneck though lol.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:50 AM

631 posts, read 1,885,527 times
Quote:

I have to agree with that because "redneck" does sound similar regardless of what state you live in. I'm from Kentucky and still have my accent (not redneck ) after almost 7 years up north. I thought the concept and sound of a "redneck" was predominately southern until I moved to Alaska and lo and behold we have them up here too!

Old 12-23-2008, 12:10 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,593,787 times
Is that you on the right?? You look like a Mary....

Old 12-23-2008, 12:34 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,593,787 times
Blimey!! I thought this was a family show!! Don`t look Ethel!!
Wedgie Alert!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom