Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 06:46 PM

667 posts, read 2,891,703 times

Advertisements

For some reason I have gotten the idea that in a couple of years I would like to go to Cardiff University to earn a masters degree in history. My major problem though is that I am married with children so I have a couple of questions.

My oldest son who is currently only 12 is very athletic. Here in the States, our schools have athletic departments for organized sports for the children. My son is into cross country, track and wrestling. Do the schools in England offer similar programs? If you are unsure what cross country is it is a competitive race of 5k over the ground instead of around a track.

On a more general note, do you know anything about this university and the area around it and what I can expect?

Thanks,

Scott

Btw, I'm an American
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 11:57 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,910,630 times
Hi Scott, any good English school will have a cross country running team and cater to track and athletic sports such as javelin, shot, long jump, high jump, 100 yard dash etc. See Ofsted | Home page As a non-EU citizen you will need to apply for a student visa - see UK Border Agency | Can you bring your family? For Cardiff, start here: International students

Old 11-10-2011, 10:07 AM

410 posts, read 950,859 times
Just FYI, Cardiff is in a place called Wales, which is a separate country from England.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:41 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,940,221 times
I think before the OP heads to Cardiff to study history, some study in geography will be required, or I can foresee difficulties !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Hubard View Post
Just FYI, Cardiff is in a place called Wales, which is a separate country from England.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:37 PM

1,502 posts, read 1,683,093 times
Wrestling is very rare in the UK. My school had a dismal sports department, so all my athletic friends went to the nearby athletics stadium and did non-school sports there, but nearly all schools have some extra-curricula sports. I expect Cardiff will offer something similar if the school itself doesn't. Larger schools will have more opportunities.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:20 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,989,199 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
I think before the OP heads to Cardiff to study history, some study in geography will be required, or I can foresee difficulties !
To a very large number of Americans, Wales, Scotland, and to a lesser extent, Northern Ireland, are all England. Lots of Americans also substitute in England in place of UK.

Also, OP, the UK is a bit like the U.S. in that Wales, England, Scotland, and Northern Ireland are all called constituent countries of the United Kingdom. It's kinda like states, but they have less autonomy in relation to London compared to the States and D.C.

It used to bother me when I say to Americans I'm from Puerto Rico, and common question I get asked which part of Mexico is that? But, I don't let that bother me anymore. I just say I'm from Miami to make things easy it's no secret Americans from the Pacific coast to the Atlantic coast are geographically challenged. Geography class is something most Americans find to be very "uncool" and so most ignore it

Old 11-13-2011, 03:52 AM

410 posts, read 950,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
To a very large number of Americans, Wales, Scotland, and to a lesser extent, Northern Ireland, are all England. Lots of Americans also substitute in England in place of UK.

Also, OP, the UK is a bit like the U.S. in that Wales, England, Scotland, and Northern Ireland are all called constituent countries of the United Kingdom. It's kinda like states, but they have less autonomy in relation to London compared to the States and D.C.

It used to bother me when I say to Americans I'm from Puerto Rico, and common question I get asked which part of Mexico is that? But, I don't let that bother me anymore. I just say I'm from Miami to make things easy it's no secret Americans from the Pacific coast to the Atlantic coast are geographically challenged. Geography class is something most Americans find to be very "uncool" and so most ignore it
I don't think there's anything that awful about Americans not understanding the makeup of the UK - it's a fairly unusual situation after all to have multiple countries in one sovereign state. OTOH, though, it's surprising that someone would be able to gather enough of an impression of a city to decide they want to live there, without in the process figuring out what county it's in.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:19 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,989,199 times
Quote:
I don't think there's anything that awful about Americans not understanding the makeup of the UK - it's a fairly unusual situation after all to have multiple countries in one sovereign state. OTOH, though, it's surprising that someone would be able to gather enough of an impression of a city to decide they want to live there, without in the process figuring out what county it's in.
I agree. It's alright for Americans to say all of the UK is England, but to actually contemplate living there and get the country of the city you want in wrong, says to me that they haven't really looked into the place they want to live in in depth, and that could make for some nasty surprises

Old 11-16-2011, 12:57 AM

667 posts, read 2,891,703 times
Thanks for all of the replies. In reference to Wales, yes I was completely wrong. I did not know that it was it's own country. Instead I thought of it as a state or provence of England. I did see that English is not the only language spoken there so that would not have been a surprise.

The reason why I did not look too closely at the city itself is based solely on the school. All of my classes will of course be on campus. My housing will also be on campus or at least considered campus housing. My wife would not work for the year that we are there and that leaves my two sons who would attend school within the community.

Also to be honest, I couldn't care less about it's location. What I care about is the degree and the instructors. One of them is my favorite researcher in the field and I would consider it a GREAT honor to study under her. Het being at this school is what lead me to the school - nothing else.

So, to put it plainly whenever I saw Wales I thought of it in a typical American mindset of state government in relation to federal government. Overall it would not have greatly mattered since English is still spoken and the pound is used. Besides, it would only be for a year and I've lived out of a suitcase before for that long. Also please remember that all of my planning would be through the school's international student's office.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:29 AM

7 posts, read 11,243 times
Hi, I am a Cardiff University Graduate and highly recommend Cardiff as a university and also as a place to live. I would describe Cardiff as a cosmopolitan city- very vibrant and friendly - there are lots of restaurants, shops, cinemas and things to do in the city and in the surrounding areas. Cardiff Bay has got quite a bit going on - lots of waterfront restaurants and bars - there is also a cinema, an ice rink, white-water centre and swimming pool which opened only in recent years. Public transport is excellent (trains and buses will get you most places within the city if you plan not to drive) and if you plan to live near the university either in student accommodation or renting a house the city centre is about a 10-20 minute walk depending on where you live. I don't know much about the History department as I studied BSc Marine Geography so can't make much comment about that but generally all of the departments within Cardiff Uni are very good. Places to live- the main student area to live is Cathays. When I lived in Cardiff, Cathays Terrace based in the Cathays area was a bit unsightly lots of rubbish (garbage) everywhere, areas near Roath Park and Heath are nice to live and are not so studenty but still not too far from the university (25-30 min walk to Arts and Social Studies building where you will most likely be based).
Regarding schools - don't know much about the schools in Cardiff but worth checking out this website http://sites.cardiff.gov.uk/ysgol/Schools/SchoolSearch/SchoolDetail.asp?id=5 Cathays High School seems to have a good sports programme going on (not sure about cross-country or athletics but might be worth e-mailing them for more info). It would also be the nearest school from the uni (10-15 min walk from art and social sciences building) http://web.cathays.cardiff.sch.uk/ and the school is situated next to Maindy pool and gym.
If you need any further information about Cardiff or the university let me know or send me a direct message Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom