Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 08:06 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,573,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
I left just after the debacle last year only to land in Chicago (which had record blizzards), which is busier than Heathrow and it was running without delays. Now O'hare is used to it, but like you say, after last year you would have thought they may have a snow machine or two ready for use??? What would happen if a foot or more of snow fell?
A foot of snow did fall at London Gatwick in December 2010.

Funny though, the runways at Heathrow were actually cleared of snow.. they cancelled the flights for some other reason - to reduce the flight schedule or something

Old 02-06-2012, 06:09 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Anyone watch Top Gear and see Richard Hammond in the NASCAR car?
On subject of snow seems like the NE has got off lightly with 1-2 inches in low lying areas.
Lets hope the Hamster does better in the NASCAR car than he did in the Jet Dragster..top gear richard hammond Vampire dragster crash - YouTube

As for 1-2 inches of snow? wouldnt even be worth the news commenting on it here in Montreal..

Old 02-06-2012, 06:58 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,573,026 times
Well, Montreal is just a tiny bit colder then the UK.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:14 AM

16,656 posts, read 17,424,883 times
It's pretty pathetic how a dusting of the white stuff messes things up here though.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:11 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,281,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
It's pretty pathetic how a dusting of the white stuff messes things up here though.
I'll never forget my first winter here, seeing a double decker sliding sideways down a hill in North London There was an inch of snow on the road but the tyres just couldn't grip the road. If the snow continues each winter there is a killing to be made in selling different tyres over here!

Old 02-06-2012, 11:07 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,398,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
I'll never forget my first winter here, seeing a double decker sliding sideways down a hill in North London There was an inch of snow on the road but the tyres just couldn't grip the road. If the snow continues each winter there is a killing to be made in selling different tyres over here!
It's really not feasible to buy snow tires for your car if you live in the majority of the UK where it might only snow severely enough to cause disruption once or twice a year (some years not even that). Snow tires generally wipe a couple of MPG's off your fuel economy and they're expensive. Definitely worth it if you live in Montpellier, Vermont but not worth it if you live in Staines.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:16 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,281,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
It's really not feasible to buy snow tires for your car if you live in the majority of the UK where it might only snow severely enough to cause disruption once or twice a year (some years not even that). Snow tires generally wipe a couple of MPG's off your fuel economy and they're expensive. Definitely worth it if you live in Montpellier, Vermont but not worth it if you live in Staines.
I wasn't talking about snow tyres. They certainly wouldn't be feasible in the UK as some years you get no snow at all and true winter snow tyres have to be put on and taken off. I was thinking of four-season radials or "mud and snow" tires that work well all year in places that have weather similar to much of the UK - clear roads most of the time but occasional light snow! "Mud and snow" is a bit deceptive as they are not snow tyres, but work well in areas where you get occasional snow.

Last edited by sunshineleith; 02-07-2012 at 03:07 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-06-2012, 05:06 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,923,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
Just gotta correct you on the busiest airports thing. O'Hare is just behind Heathrow:

World's busiest airports by passenger traffic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While I'm certainly not excusing how badly the UK often deals with even the slightest amount of snow, they're pros at dealing with it in the American Midwest, where severe snowfall occurs not only once, but several times a year. Aside from the odd cold snap, Britain's winters are tame in comparison, although here in the northeast US, it's been a fairly mild winter with only 2 instances of snowfall more than 3 inches.
In the US of course they have all the eqipment to deal with the snow as it is usually most of the winter, i don't see Heathrow or the authorities forking out huge sums of money for a day or two snow having said that they surely must lose a lot of money on those days.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:12 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,428,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
In the US of course they have all the eqipment to deal with the snow as it is usually most of the winter, i don't see Heathrow or the authorities forking out huge sums of money for a day or two snow having said that they surely must lose a lot of money on those days.
Emm- not in the cities where they're not used to much snow, a bit like in the UK.
I think it was last year that Charlotte Douglas (or it may have just been US airways) ran out of salt when we had more snow than usual.

I remember being in Harrogate for a conference in Dec 2008 and they knew there was fairly severe snow coming and yet in the morning the snow ploughs hadn't been out prior to the rush hour. Place was in chaos. The buses couldn't even get out of the bus station!

Old 02-06-2012, 08:13 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,398,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Emm- not in the cities where they're not used to much snow, a bit like in the UK.
I think it was last year that Charlotte Douglas (or it may have just been US airways) ran out of salt when we had more snow than usual.

I remember being in Harrogate for a conference in Dec 2008 and they knew there was fairly severe snow coming and yet in the morning the snow ploughs hadn't been out prior to the rush hour. Place was in chaos. The buses couldn't even get out of the bus station!
I know the UK isn't the best at dealing with snow, but most US cities get far more snow than anywhere in the UK. Let's not also forget that US airports *have* to be super-efficient because flying is how the majority of Americans get from A to B over long distances.

Here in Massachusetts they are pros when it comes to dealing with snow. I don't think it's because they're just better than the UK..it just snows here a lot more frequently and it's usually more than just a couple of inches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom