Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 10:14 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,314,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
It's weird. Its like that in the Midwest - huge swings. It's going to be in the 90's here until Monday when it reaches 100! Everyone here enjoys the weather all year apart from the summer. Everyone hates the summer as its way too hot - the complete opposite of what I was used to in the UK!

I never understood the talk of drought and hosepipe bans in England though - I think it's all the usual paranoid BS you get there over anything remotely outside the norm. I.e 2 inches of snow is usually "blizzard hits freezing Britain", 2 inches of rain means "parts of Britain cut off due to flooding", and 3 days of continuous good weather means a frikin drought?? C'mon, let's get rational
Well perhaps you should research a little better to allay your ignorance of the subject.

BBC News - Kennet and Avon Canal water levels lowest for 90 years
England heading for hosepipe bans after drier winter than 1976 drought - Telegraph

A hosepipe ban came into force in the Anglian Water region on April 5th, for the first time in 20 years. This follows the driest 18 months in over a century in the Anglian Water region. http://www.anglianwater.co.uk/news/g...8C24FBCCF.aspx

Last edited by sunshineleith; 04-19-2012 at 10:25 AM..

Old 04-19-2012, 11:32 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,419,936 times
Quote:
It's weird. Its like that in the Midwest - huge swings. It's going to be in the 90's here until Monday when it reaches 100! Everyone here enjoys the weather all year apart from the summer. Everyone hates the summer as its way too hot - the complete opposite of what I was used to in the UK!

I never understood the talk of drought and hosepipe bans in England though - I think it's all the usual paranoid BS you get there over anything remotely outside the norm. I.e 2 inches of snow is usually "blizzard hits freezing Britain", 2 inches of rain means "parts of Britain cut off due to flooding", and 3 days of continuous good weather means a frikin drought?? C'mon, let's get rational
I can't knock the weather here; it's a nice climate overall with four distinct and colourful seasons. The cold here is much drier than the UK, so you don't to feel it as much unless there's a really biting wind.

The issue in Britain is most likely caused by infrastructure that simply cannot cope with the population levels. Perhaps more desalanisation plants are in order, since Britain is surrounded by ocean?

As for snow, they're pros at dealing with it here. Even in heavy snowfall, the roads are cleared quickly and the gritters and ploughs go out in force, with almost military precision. Not so practical in the UK though because it generally doesn't snow there as heavily or as prolonged. In the last 2 decades, I can only recall maybe 2-3 severe snowfalls that would come anywhere near close to what occurrs in New England several times a year.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:23 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Well perhaps you should research a little better to allay your ignorance of the subject.

BBC News - Kennet and Avon Canal water levels lowest for 90 years
England heading for hosepipe bans after drier winter than 1976 drought - Telegraph

A hosepipe ban came into force in the Anglian Water region on April 5th, for the first time in 20 years. This follows the driest 18 months in over a century in the Anglian Water region. Anglian Water | Home | News | General news | Water from Midland could help drought hit East

My ignorance huh! I guess the Avon canal supplies the UK with all it's water right The UK is headed for dryest on record - hold the front page, ring the alarm bells, we might get 5 continuous days of above 70 degrees...

Old 04-20-2012, 01:26 AM

Quote:
My ignorance huh! I guess the Avon canal supplies the UK with all it's water right The UK is headed for dryest on record - hold the front page, ring the alarm bells, we might get 5 continuous days of above 70 degrees...
Yeah but it's okay - we're all used to you by now.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Yeah but it's okay - we're all used to you by now.
Thanks "sunshineleith", you continually solidify my points

Old 04-20-2012, 01:44 PM

16,751 posts, read 17,524,682 times
Ian- I don't know why you keep arguing it, but there is a drought in parts of the UK at the moment.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks "sunshineleith", you continually solidify my points
And you mine

Old 05-14-2012, 01:38 AM

32 posts, read 63,067 times
Red face had the most coolest dream about returning to england

my mum and I went to england once and I think it is the most magical place on earth.

I seriously think its a nice peaccefull cool place and I am seriously hoping to meet a few english people online as well.

I really like english people because they have such a awsome accents and they are very quite people as well.

I remember being in an english pub and I went there back in 2006 and they found out that I am australian and these girls asked me how do you say straw or how do you say mug and I said like muuuug and they all laughed.

but I love the english as well as I love american and canadian people.

the dream I had is i was buying a few groceries in london it was a busy street my mother went to the same old laundry mat....in london I felt safe as I was over there there were many european people there as well.

anyways as I was there in the dream at the grocery shop after I was transported via a red bus a double decker bus and I was there I will just get to the point.....and I was supposed to call her and I lost her completely and I could not get groceries all sorted out and I was there just trying to pay for my croceries and my mother walked in and found me and I said goodbye to the shop keeper and she was freindly and I lost her again. that was it and it made me want to go back there really really badly because its so magical over there.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:27 PM

133 posts, read 220,659 times
I didn't know US supermarkets weren't up to UK standards. Any ideas on why this would be?

Old 05-22-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevike View Post
I didn't know US supermarkets weren't up to UK standards. Any ideas on why this would be?

Who says they're not??? I used to work for Waitrose both as a store manager and trainer and I can tell you that they aren't any better. Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Dean & Delucca, Vons and many more are far far superior both in terms of quality and in food diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom